The Dwagonpile- (new art link 5/1- new Wanda art!)

Your fan art, demotivators, cartoons, animations, lolcats or whatever other images you want to show off.

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art 5/19, holy boop!)

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I can't believe just how dynamic that ball o' blubber looks!

Awesome, and very good use of colours too.

Artists' trick: making static images look dynamic is surprisingly simple. All you have to do is draw someone/something in what is clearly not its resting state. Here's how it works:
1) People have a good sense of their own anatomy and how it works, and a well-founded suspicion that, like ourselves, most everything doesn't like to stay at rest in medias res.
1.1) As an object lesson, pick your favorite sport to play. Pick a motion you do all the time in that sport (you may want some space for that depending on the sport). (Hitting a serve in tennis or a baseball in ...baseball, shooting hoops, throwing a football, whatever tickles your fancy...) Now, halfway through that motion, stop dead. Hold that position.
1.2) Now, maybe some jacked guy in some branch of some Armed Forces could hold that for a very long time, but most of us can't. You know that. Artists know that. Artists know that you know that.
2) Like all Art, visual art ("Art") is about communicating ideas. If something in the art looks like or suggests an existing idea that someone already knows, they'll pick that up and associate the entire idea (and its anecdotal "thousand words") with the work. This is how the brain works all the time, Art simply capitalizes on it by grooming the artists to be able to pack lots of ideas in an eye-catching and appealing mixture. Technical drawing is probably the most bare-bones version of this, (and my retroactive excuse for defacing my all of my homework planners with my decreasingly inscrutable drawings of Halo and W40k and Star Wars).
3) Here's the trick, synthesized to the raw core of how it works. Know that people will empathize with the ideas displayed in the work, draw the subject in an active pose, just like someone stopped them in the middle of that sports move. People will understand the implication of motion from the empathy of knowing that there's pretty much no good reason to stop there or be stopped there. It just starts to hurt.

Now, this trick assumes a fair bit of technical skill and a good eye for what a body looks like contorted in various ways of your devising, so having a good subject (often oneself, but for the love of god don't try and figure out what a pose looks like in class. You're just asking for trouble.) is recommended. Now, if you want to show someone who for some reason is in that uncomfortable position, indicate small, rapid motions. Most positions where one isn't actively supported by something that isn't moving are an example of unstable equilibrium. Like a boat on the ocean, holding a static position is completely impractical; it's much easier to keep correcting back and forth around that position. Comic-book artists use little lines parallel to the object and perpendicular to its motion, evoking ripples on a pond, to demonstrate these small motions.
The.Healing.Mage

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link 8/7)

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 am

Thanks The.Healing.Mage for the pointers, and oh boop, I should try my hand at some Erf art sometime again, I've been slacking.

Also, kudos to TheMutant for the always amazing Dwagons!
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link 8/7)

Postby TheMutant » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:28 pm

In an unprecedented burst of activity, HERE HAVE MORE DWAGON.

Click the image for full size!

Doodled this up quick-like to get myself away from the fact that, with the addition of my dwagon speedpaint, I had exactly thirteen pictures in the Erflings gallery. OH DEAR.

So hit that link for a pudgy blue dwagon being all annoyed at some Marbits. The idea had its source in Telva from the IRC.
Last edited by TheMutant on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link 8/12)

Postby TheMutant » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:53 pm

aaand MORE.

WARNING: the above picture contains sexy Wanda in leather. and a dwagon. JUST SAYIN'.

good christ I've been reading this comic for HOW LONG and this is my first Wanda picture, I ought to be ashamed of myself

*shamed*

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link with WANDA 10/10)

Postby TheMutant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Gosh, ever since my art got actually GOOD, no one replies on the thread any more :B

ARE YOU GUYS ALLERGIC TO QUALITY 8(

Anyways, here, have another arts. Came out lookin pretty! But has no dwagons. ;A; ...that makes, like, TWO total images of all my Erfworld fanart that DON'T have dwagons.

TheMutant

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link 3/27- gwiffon gwiffons!)

Postby Sieggy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Griffon vs Gwiffon?
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link with WANDA 10/10)

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 am

TheMutant wrote:Gosh, ever since my art got actually GOOD, no one replies on the thread any more :B

You've rendered the forum speechless. :D

The images you've posted look fantastic. Keep it up!
MarbitChow

Re: Dwagon dwagon. (new art link 5/01- new Wanda art!)

Postby TheMutant » Tue May 01, 2012 6:40 pm

MORE FULL BACKGROUND ARTS. I must be insane.

Sexy Wanda in a Dragon Age: Origins crossover outfit because I have no shame and also I hate myself. :B

TheMutant

Re: The Dwagonpile- (new art link 5/1- new Wanda art!)

Postby doran » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Brilliant, TheMutant!
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Re: The Dwagonpile- (new art link 5/1- new Wanda art!)

Postby five-thirteen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 pm

The shading's excellent on that gwiffon pic. The forest blends well into the colors and the expressions are good too. I don't understand the blur in the griffon's wing pattern though. It looks a bit like it's glowing.(the tree on the right wing seems to follow the wing's curve) Did I mention the talon? Right front paw? That's a very expressive talon. The Wanda pic's also good, (I'm not qualified to comment on pictures of attractive women) Great artwork!
five-thirteen

Previous

Return to Art and Images