Xin and her mother

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Xin and her mother

Postby rcjara » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:55 pm

What's happening is that Xin's mother is gravely ill. Since this summer, we have been hoping that various tests, treatments and surgeries would improve her outlook and she could begin recovery. But that's an emotional roller coaster which is still at full speed. All during this crisis, Xin has taken on round-the-clock care for her mom and new duties for the rest of her family and their business, all while trying her best to continue to illustrate the comic.

Xin, if you are reading this, I hope your mother recovers soon. All the best taking care of her and doing all the things you need to. Don't stress about Erfworld. We'll miss your work, but you have more important things to do.
Last edited by rcjara on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcjara

Re: Xin and her mother

Postby Lurkomancer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:51 pm

*delurks*

I just wanted to send my best wishes to Xin and her family. Xin's beautiful art is such a big part of the pleasure I get from Erfworld. Based on that, I can only say that she deserves to take as much time out as she needs. A delayed webcomic is a vary small price to pay for Xin's family.

All my love to you Xin and I hope your Mom is okay.

*relurks*
Lurkomancer

Postby MintMMs » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:05 pm

I've been a reader from the beginning, but felt this was the time to sign up and make a post.

Xin, I met you and Rob at Gen Con this year and you were friendly, gracious and a delight to talk to. I want you to know that you should take as much time as you need to work through all of this and I'll be here when you're ready again.

Wishing you a ton of good wishes,
-Mark
MintMMs
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Xin, hang in there.
drachefly

Postby happyturtle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:02 pm

What everyone else said.

Focus on what's important. Your loyal fans will wait for you.
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:40 am

Best wishes to you both, and I hope things work out well.

I'm glad you were able to give some feedback on what was going on.

The prequel book sounds interesting, I look forward to reading it when it's ready.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sixty » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:08 am

I am terribly sorry that you are going through such difficult times Xin. I know what it is like to have a family member be gravely ill. I wish you, your mother, and your entire family the best. Like everyone said, your family comes first.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Xin, I am, just like most readers, a mere stranger to you. And like them, a stranger who had that extra bit of cheer and awesome put into our days by your talent. On the basis of that, for whatever it's worth, the best of luck to you and to the people who actually are near you and a part of your life, and may your Mother make a complete recovery.

I'd crudely draw y'all a card, but I don't know what would be appropriate. So anyway, hang in there and may the forunes turn fortunate.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Varidan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:36 pm

First time posting here to give Xin and her mother my best wishes.

I feel somewhat lame for feeling annoyed at the slower updates now that i know what has been going on. We are truly lucky updates even continued at all. I am glad we have a such dedicated artist for this webcomic, but even more so that she puts her dedication to her mother first. Don't fret Xin, take all the time you need. Erfworld can wait. Besides, Parson is stuck in the magic realm and cant do anything for now anyways :p
Varidan

Postby motorfirebox » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 am

Best wishes to you and your mother, Xin.
motorfirebox

Postby effataigus » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am

I'm sorry to hear that your mother isn't well, Xin.

In difficult times I often find myself reflecting on this excerpt from a letter Lincoln sent to a woman who had just lost her father (it was then a private letter if you prefer to avoid reading private things that have only since become public record):

"It is with deep grief that I learn of the death of your kind and brave Father; and, especially, that it is affecting your young heart beyond what is common in such cases. In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all; and, to the young, it comes with bitterest agony, because it takes them unawares. The older have learned to ever expect it. I am anxious to afford some alleviation of your present distress. Perfect relief is not possible, except with time. You can not now realize that you will ever feel better. Is not this so? And yet it is a mistake. You are sure to be happy again. To know this, which is certainly true, will make you some less miserable now. I have had experience enough to know what I say; and you need only to believe it, to feel better at once. The memory of your dear Father, instead of an agony, will yet be a sad sweet feeling in your heart, of a purer and holier sort than you have known before."

Best wishes for you and your mother,
-A grateful fan of your work
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Messenger » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:08 am

Please hang in there, Xin. I pray that your mother gets well. I know just how terrible worrying about a loved one's health can be. You and your mother have my best wishes.
Messenger

Postby Pax » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Wow. :(

Xin: there's really nothing meaningful I can say to you, except "I'm sorry." Sorry for your mother's illness; sorry for where it is most certainly headed; sorry for the hell you have now; and the hell that is in your future. I won't insult you, or your mother, with cliched platitudes. Instead, I'll only say "I'm sorry", and hope that knowing that you aren't alone in worry or sorrow is of some tiny comfort to you.

Everyone else: I think we should get together and Do Something(tm) for Xin. Maybe flowers, or a card, os ... something. I have no idea what to do, or how to organise it across the internet. But she's been part of bringing us our Erfworld "fix", even with what she's been going through. So I think we owe her more than a few words on a forum ....
Pax

Postby spriteless » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:40 pm

I hope your mom does well. I send wishes.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby Azukar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:01 am

Best wishes, Xin, to you and your mum as well.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby mortissimus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 am

Xin:
What Bland said. Double the inappropriateness of me trying to make a drawing.

Everyone else:
I think Pax suggestion would be a nice gesture. Anyone know of some site that supports crowdfunded flowers or something else nice?
mortissimus

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I'd be willing to go a bit above flowers if it were needed.

As for a way to coordinate one, for starters there's always PayPal. Setting up a donation fund should not be too hard, as long as legalities are accounted for (to make it so that no tax is imposed on that income).

Now, a big call for money is maybe what Xin doesn't want, but for smaller gestures of support like flowers and cards ... well also Paypal, and tax be damned because the sum won't be too big anyway. All it takes is some neutral party to set up the account and the rest of us pool some money there. I'd do it, but the rest of you have no guarantee that I won't actually abscond to Bermuda with the moolah.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby motorfirebox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 am

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Xin.
motorfirebox

Postby depricated » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 am

Xin,

This is terrible news. I can't imagine the pain you're in, take time for yourself. Everyone here understands, we'll still be here. I've been trying to find words to convey my thoughts - I was holding out hope that things would turn around.

Just take the time you need, don't worry about frivolous things like us.

Mark
depricated

Postby joe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:49 am

Xin,

My mother also passed away on the 24th Oct this year after a continuously deteriorating battle with cancer. (She was a well regarded Australian poet, Aileen Kelly.)

Take your time. You are under no obligations, either to those of us who refresh refresh refresh daily hoping for the next installment nor to yourself to take any specific emotional path.

We'll all be here when you're ready again.

Best wishes
joe

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld