Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 001

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 001

Postby balder » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 001

Postby Atomic » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:21 am

Absolutely fantastic... Makes me wonder, though; will Wanda's side croak/ she be captured, or does Wanda have a propensity to betray her current side to get a leg-up on the competition?

Nothing ground breaking, but it just makes me giddy inside. lol.
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby Pebot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:46 am

ooo. Wanda not originally from FAQ :) cool.
Pebot

Postby MOD » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:11 am

Is this going to be the beginning of your novel or a just one piece of the puzzle?
MOD

Postby badninja » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:13 am

Wow oh wow. Scary thought how Wanda came into Erfworld and how units first feel when they appear. Ominous way to begin any story but this has gotta be good. Could this be the reason she was able to so easily betray FAQ, only time will tell?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Knight13 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 am

I always wondered what popping was like. It must be strange, simply appearing, with certain aspects of your mind and existence fully realized but otherwise being a blank slate.

The idea of different casters have insight into different aspects of reality is interesting. I think that's been mentioned before, Jack can see into the nature of perception, Sizemore can sense the structure of the firmament, Maggie knows about the relationship between mind and reality.
Knight13

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:28 am

Wowie zowie, this is amazing! Kicking off Halloween with the spawning of a Croakamancer, what could be better? Oh right, it's my birthday too. Thanks for the awesome present Erfworld!
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby twhitt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 am

A lot of interesting questions... Who is the narrator in the first half of the update, and what is his or her perspective? What's with the disruption, and why does it sound so much like it's related to Charlie? And of course, "this unit [that] carried a balance due" seems to be Wanda, and her cost seems like it might be the whole of her side. Fun!
twhitt

Postby Muzzafar » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 am

"Atomic Firebaugh" made me crack. :D
Muzzafar
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Nebulious » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:01 am

twhitt wrote:A lot of interesting questions... Who is the narrator in the first half of the update, and what is his or her perspective?

It's probably the omniscient narrator that also began books 1 and 2.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:15 am

An interesting thing that can be inferred from this, which I'm pretty sure we did not know before: Wanda is royal. Yikes. I wonder if Stanley knows.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Guppy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:16 am

Is it bad that I was primarily impressed with the fact that Wanda's first action, upon being spawned... was to start stripping?
Guppy

Postby Sixty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 am

Wanda's a royal and we learned that units pop into existence in their appropriate position and they don't always just pop in the courtyard or something, interesting! I have a feeling I am really gonna like Book 0.
Sixty

Postby Kreistor » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 am

Sixty wrote:Wanda's a royal and we learned that units pop into existence in their appropriate position and they don't always just pop in the courtyard or something, interesting! I have a feeling I am really gonna like Book 0.

No, she isn't. Her father is "Overlord Firebaugh", not "King Firebaugh." Overlords are non-Royal leaders. Only Royals can pop Royal units. She's not even Noble.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Sojiko » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:41 am

I wonder what ascendancy means for non-royals.

Not all warlords and caster are considered the sons/daughter of the overlord here. Wanda and 'Atomic' are said to be the only one to whom the Overlord is their father, despite having other leadership units.
Sojiko

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:28 am

Ok, if every object in Erf is a quantum fluxuation, what of Parson? A lot of branes must have been strectched to get him across, i'd hate to be there for the snap back.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 am

Also, am i a bad person for visualizing Wanda's father as Cap'n Crunch.

Also. continuing the narrative...

Wanda looked out into the courtyard and saw the people there. Some of them looked-- nice! And that's when she knew that she was a sexual being. Oh, make that bisexual. She understood that she had a strong drive to boop with anybody.

As long as it involved screaming.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby sleepymancer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 am

Kreistor wrote:
Sixty wrote:Wanda's a royal and we learned that units pop into existence in their appropriate position and they don't always just pop in the courtyard or something, interesting! I have a feeling I am really gonna like Book 0.

No, she isn't. Her father is "Overlord Firebaugh", not "King Firebaugh." Overlords are non-Royal leaders. Only Royals can pop Royal units. She's not even Noble.

I think you're right on this one, Kreistor. Overlord not king. Still, I reckon the mechanics here strongly imply that had he been a king then she would have been a royal caster. What do you reckon? strong enough circumstantial evidence to imply that royal casters are possible or probable. Or are you still thinking no??

Would that mean she will be upgraded to the nobility later to earn the title 'Lady Firebough'? Or does it imply that she is noble already, but that we just haven't been given the details of that yet?? Or is Lady just a title to reflect her status as a caster rather than as a (future) noble?? I can't see the latter being true, as I don't recall any of the other casters being lord or lady, but who knows maybe it reflects 'master' status... I find myself pondering happily :D

Regarding the story session - glad it came out today, definitely a fitting Hallowe'en gift! And absolutely amazing to read!! Thanks Rob
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby The Minx » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:56 am

I don't think she needs to be upgraded to the Nobility in order to earn her title, she already claimed it using nothing but her innate knowledge. And Parson is the "Lord Hamster" while not even being a native of Erf. "Lord" and "Lady" is probably just something all Commanders are called.

I wonder what that talk about Erfworld having to pay the difference in price meant. Does it mean that casters in general are Fated for trouble somehow?
The Minx

Postby doran » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:33 am

Well one thing we do know from this update - the pupils are not limited FAQ only, but happen on multiple sides. I wonder what their signamancy means.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran

Next

Return to Reactions