Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 002

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 002

Postby balder » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 002

Postby kagato23 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 am

There is pretty much no way Delphine will meet with a good end.

Clay's prospects are looking pretty bad too.

Obviously this is largely implied for everybody on this side who's name isn't Wanda Firebaugh, but moreso for them.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby depricated » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am

Really enjoying reading these. :)
depricated

Postby Zeku » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 am

This Goodminton predictamancer is at the minimum manipulative, and at worst is a tyrant, and she's at the center of yet another kingdom which doesn't seem to blindly fear and obey its leader.

So is it possible that FAQ's and Transylvito's similarly casual attitude toward the command structure is the result of casters manipulating weak rulers?

I'm very excited to see how Fate interacts with Wanda's early days, what that Fate is.
Zeku

Postby Aquillion » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:21 am

So is it possible that FAQ's and Transylvito's similarly casual attitude toward the command structure is the result of casters manipulating weak rulers?
I don't think Transylvito has a weak ruler. Sure, Benjamin was willing to defy him, but only in extreme circumstances, and it was plainly something shocking, something he was only willing to do when he was sure he had everyone else behind him. In that case, the casual attitude seems to be more of an inherent family trait.
Aquillion

Postby twhitt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:27 am

Delphie might be pained by the fact that she's seen the end of her side. Perhaps she's resigned to the idea that she will die while Wanda will not, as she plainly feels that Wanda's role is greater than the one she will play for Goodminton. That inner conflict might be responsible for her signamancy. Are we seeing that the predictamancer conspiracy dates back further than even Wanda's popping? How strange.
twhitt
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Kalak » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 am

twhitt wrote:Delphie might be pained by the fact that she's seen the end of her side. Perhaps she's resigned to the idea that she will die while Wanda will not

I think twhitt's got it. I was wondering why it was that she looked so strange, even to Wanda. If she's gonna croak, though, why does she care so much about being possessive over Clay?
Kalak

Postby happyturtle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 am

We've seen other units with Signamancy consistent with age. Lloyd the Dittomancer comes to mind. Maggie and Sizemore to a much lesser extent. Is it a function of number of turns alive? Do units ever die of old age, if they survive long enough?
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby warriortribble » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:51 am

We know bats eventually decay (link). It's probably safe to assume all units do the same.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby kagato23 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:51 am

Kalak wrote:
I think twhitt's got it. I was wondering why it was that she looked so strange, even to Wanda. If she's gonna croak, though, why does she care so much about being possessive over Clay?

If the theory is correct, that's easy. Wanda is going to have many things she will not. The favor of fate (which has got to be huge for a predictamancer) survival, the unfathomable power of an artifact, a greater purpose then even an entire side.

What she won't have is her man. She'll have that, and she's not giving it up for anybody. She's going to lose everything, some of it probably a direct result of making sure Wanda survives. But one thing she refuses to lose, even to her.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23

Postby Sixty » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:54 am

There is definitely something odd in the power structure of Goodminton it seems, at least in regards to caster relations. I have a feeling Wanda will learn some important lessons in manipulation here.
Sixty

Postby vintermann » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 am

warriortribble wrote:We know bats eventually decay (link). It's probably safe to assume all units do the same.

You're reading way too much into a single word the author probably chose for the sake of the rhyme. In any case, we know that

* units do not die of old age.
* units that croak disappear the next day unless uncroaked.
* ordinary uncroaked decay gradually, depending on the skill of the croakamancer and how many were targeted by the spell.

It could at most be that bats are a type of unit that is temporary like the uncroaked, but it's certain that warlords and casters aren't. So, age is purely signamancy.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Azukar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:19 am

Looks like Wanda can lean basic Manipulation, Fatalism, Bisexuality and Lack of Deference to Leadership all from this one caster!

In other news, the Oracle at Delphi (real-world ancient Greece) was known as Pythia, which means 'to rot'. This was because she was sort-of undead: her body was decaying after being slain by one of the gods. Seems very meaningful when a Predictamancer covering her decay with Signamancy is talking to a Croakamancer.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Kreistor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 am

It sounds to me that Aging seems a function of stress and worry.

However, I would not be surprised if some units popped older.

It's interesting that Wanda is described wearing the same robes she will wear in FAQ.

I suspect Wanda is going to save this battle. I don't think Delphine could get away with such a lie unless the Croakamancer to be popped would save the Side.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby raphfrk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 am

Zeku wrote:This Goodminton predictamancer is at the minimum manipulative, and at worst is a tyrant, and she's at the center of yet another kingdom which doesn't seem to blindly fear and obey its leader.

If she saw one future that has the Ruler dying in 2 turns and one that has the Ruler die in 10 turns, but requires that she withhold info from her Chief Warlord, presumably, she has to choose the 2nd option.

Ofc, it might simply be related to the loyalty stat. With a low enough loyalty level, other things other than loyalty to the ruler could win out, unless they are direct disobedience.

Also, it seems that Chief Caster is actually an official command position and can issue commands to other casters. Wanda actually outranks all other casters in Gobwin Knob. I wonder if she outranks warlords.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:42 am

Azukar wrote:Looks like Wanda can lean basic Manipulation, Fatalism, Bisexuality and Lack of Deference to Leadership all from this one caster!

In other news, the Oracle at Delphi (real-world ancient Greece) was known as Pythia, which means 'to rot'. This was because she was sort-of undead: her body was decaying after being slain by one of the gods. Seems very meaningful when a Predictamancer covering her decay with Signamancy is talking to a Croakamancer.

No no no. Don't butcher the myths! Pythia does mean "to rot", but named after Python, the previous god of Delphi who was slain by Apollo. Pythia was very much alive and undecaying.

As for Clay Dice, reference to Dice Clay as well as clay dice?
Fiendishrabbit

Postby badninja » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 am

Scary thought that even when Wanda was barely a turn old Fate was playing its cards and people knew that she was going to be an important piece. Now how will Wanda get from here to FAQ? Also can units "die" of old turns as it where? Nice to see how and Wanda is the way she is, plus is this where she got the ability to lead troops in battle?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:35 pm

I'd often wondered about Wanda being the Chief Croakamancer of Gobwins' Knob as there were no other Croakamancers to be chief of. Now it seems to be the way a chief caster of a side is titled. So instead of being Chief Caster and Predictamancer it's reduced to Chief Predictamancer for Delphie.
Sorry if this has been obvious to everybody else for ages, I wanted to get it clear in my head.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kalak » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:50 pm

badninja wrote:Now how will Wanda get from here to FAQ?

This is something I'm wondering too. FAQ is probably not a side in this 6 player war, since they are supposed to be a bubble kingdom.
Kalak

Postby Glome » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Kalak wrote:
badninja wrote:Now how will Wanda get from here to FAQ?

This is something I'm wondering too. FAQ is probably not a side in this 6 player war, since they are supposed to be a bubble kingdom.

Jillian will have to capture her, since she was working as an anonymous mercenary during that time. And this would mean Banhammer created a self-fulfilling prophecy since Jillian was popped because Faq was prophesied to fall. But Wanda is responsible for the fall of Faq, and Wanda wouldn't be in Faq without Jillian.

What's odd is that it seems like Delphie is probably going to die with the rest of her side. If not, we would probably have seen something of her in the magic kingdom by now. But given that she should see this coming a mile away, it seems odd that she wouldn't find a way to get to the magic kingdom before the end.
Glome

Next

Return to Reactions