Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 001

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 001

Postby SteveMB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 am

Akkristor wrote:
DoctorJest wrote:Remember when Ceaser got word that Don ordered a "Royal Heir" to be popped? If all units popped by Royal sides were Royal, then why specify?

He may have been distinguishing the new popped heir from an Heir Designate, who could be noble (like Caesar) or even common (like Stanley), specifying "royal" mostly because Don King's new concern for royal tradition was the reason for the act.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:49 pm

BanzaiJoe wrote:If Wanda caused a disturbance in the force aka the balance of zero...
"That was no violation of Numbers, though. It simply meant that this unit carried a balance due. And though it was an astronomically high figure, someone would pay."

Then, think about how much of balance due Parson brings.

That assumes that he won't break Erf first. He's the type to make it very hard for Erf to collect on his debt.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Tathar wrote:
BanzaiJoe wrote:If Wanda caused a disturbance in the force aka the balance of zero...
"That was no violation of Numbers, though. It simply meant that this unit carried a balance due. And though it was an astronomically high figure, someone would pay."

Then, think about how much of balance due Parson brings.

That assumes that he won't break Erf first. He's the type to make it very hard for Erf to collect on his debt.

Parson was created on Earth, not Erf. He owes Erf's universe absolutely nothing for stealing him from his home and family. And he is performing a service... breaking a broken world. At the end of this, it's Erfworld that is going to owe him.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby raphfrk » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Kreistor wrote:Parson was created on Earth, not Erf. He owes Erf's universe absolutely nothing for stealing him from his home and family. And he is performing a service... breaking a broken world. At the end of this, it's Erfworld that is going to owe him.

Hmm, maybe like the Agent Smith was Neo's opposite in the Matrix, Parson is Erfworld trying to balance out Wanda :) ?
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm not really digging the whole "marked by fate" explanation of Wanda's popping that we were given here. Part of the fun of reading Erfworld has been watching Parson and the other characters struggling to figure out how things work in Erfworld and dealing with the question of whether or not there really is some grand meaning to their actions. A lot of effort has gone into making those questions some of the bigger ones in the comic for both us and the characters. Simply tossing answers to them out there like in this manner diminishes their importance to us which actually causes us to lose some of our connection to the story and characters. For example, when I first read this page, I was sympathic to Parson's questioning at the end, now those questions have lost most meaning to me as questions I should be asking myself and are simply marking Parson's progress on the development of his knowledge of how Erfworld works.

There's also no room for arguing with the explanation we're given here. The facts described here are presented free of character personality by neutral narration. Wanda is simply more special to the fate of Erfworld than other people. And since she can be more special, then that means there really is a entity in Erfworld that declares people as important or unimportant to the fate of the world and does so based only on its designs. The 'Person of important' worldview that Slately believes in is reality. The Titans really do have a plan for the world and enforce it thru whatever means required. People in Erfworld each have their medichlorian counts set at popping determining how much they can do in the world. It doesn't matter if you're the grand high pooba of a 1000 city side capable of crushing all that stands before you that you put together from scratch, what ever you do with your power will never be as important to the fate of the world as the actions of the guy who was popped to do something more important according to fate. If you try to outdo him, you will fail unless part of his destiny is to affect you with your success.

(To those of you wondering why I'm complaining now about the presence of an unknowable entity or entities who monitor Erfworld's development since knowledge of them should be universal to every erfworld reader because the Titans were introduced on page 1 of book 1, I have one thing to say: Before this we had no proof that they or 'fate' did anything more to the world besides build it. Everything before this has been questionable in one form or another.)
Swodaems

Previous

Return to Reactions