Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 005

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 005

Postby balder » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:52 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 005

Postby random_guy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:01 am

Interesting...so hoboken is not just a thinkamancy thing. All casters can use it as a basic offensive spell. We also learn the name of the group that's attacking them.
random_guy
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 am

And the group attacking them ... is not Jetstone, or any other group we've heard of. I don't take the references, though. I suppose Haffaton could be "half a ton", but what is a colesloth?
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Saladman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:23 am

Good thing it was cold, that'd be a weird tableau to walk in on. And further proof, if it were needed, that Wanda has been a... sensual and physical creature from the very beginning. Not necessarily in a sexual sense though, and perhaps that part is common to croakamancers.
Last edited by Saladman on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saladman
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Saladman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 am

vintermann wrote:And the group attacking them ... is not Jetstone, or any other group we've heard of. I don't take the references, though. I suppose Haffaton could be "half a ton", but what is a colesloth?

I'm glad of that, that we haven't heard of them, actually. The world is supposed to be bigger than most sides know, it'd be a little too cute and precious for this to just be a pre-match involving Jetstone and Charlescomm.

And the other I think is just a conflation of coleslaw and sloth. So it's... some kind of coleslaw-y tree sloth, or perhaps a coal-y sloth, given the brown color scheme.
Saladman

Postby Knight13 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:43 am

Aaannndd Wanda goes right back into disturbingly creepy again.
Knight13

Postby OneHugeTuck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:01 am

She's a Croakamancer, she's supposed to be disturbingly creepy. Which I do so love.

I also love the text story and it's delivery schedule!!!!!!!
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:14 am

Oh it's official. She's a super freak
Fiendishrabbit

Postby zilfallon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 am

about a twisted Dirtamancer who falls in love with his own crap golem.

What the boop...?
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Whispri » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 am

Not bad at all for a first day's hunting really.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby sleepymancer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:19 am

Reminds me of two anecdotes really: I was working with a woman once who was the lead archaeologist on an excavation of a monastery in Italy. Time was running short towards the end of the dig and she ended up working later into the night while the others went off for a friday night party that she promised to join later. Work continued so she didn't turn up at the party, but turned up in the kitchen mid morning and bleary eyed like the others. "Where were you?" they asked, "Oh", she replied off-handedly, "I spent the night with three guys in my room. you can help me clear them out". Yep, three skellies lifted and stored in her bedroom for the night, because the site office and store was locked down for the night!

The second isn't so cool, its just to say that with the pile of books that frame my bed, I understand entirely about sleeping with your work :D
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby Raza » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 am

Morbid and perverse.

Two of my favorite things ever, combined in one caster. And a dark fashion sense, too. It's too bad that (future) Wanda lives in such self-denial, or she'd be my most relatable character.

Good thing it was cold, that'd be a weird tableau to walk in on. And further proof, if it were needed, that Wanda has been a... sensual and physical creature from the very beginning. Not necessarily in a sexual sense though, and perhaps that part is common to croakamancers.

Probably. A supernatural sense for nearby bodies would certainly enhance sensuality. All senses turn sexual in the right state of mind, but something that makes you intrinsically aware of the state and function of people's organs would rank up there.
Raza

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 am

Raza wrote:Probably. A supernatural sense for nearby bodies would certainly enhance sensuality. All senses turn sexual in the right state of mind, but something that makes you intrinsically aware of the state and function of people's organs would rank up there.

It's quite possible that those senses do not extend to still-living bodies (she didn't, for example, use them to spot the scout - she seemed to use normal sight), which would put a bit of a different spin on using those senses sensually...
MarbitChow

Postby Raza » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Raza wrote:Probably. A supernatural sense for nearby bodies would certainly enhance sensuality. All senses turn sexual in the right state of mind, but something that makes you intrinsically aware of the state and function of people's organs would rank up there.

It's quite possible that those senses do not extend to still-living bodies (she didn't, for example, use them to spot the scout - she seemed to use normal sight), which would put a bit of a different spin on using those senses sensually...

If she can distinguish working organs from defective ones I would've expected them to work to some degree on the living, but you have a good (if inconclusive) point about the scout.

The suggestion is there either way. And why not? Motion is just what the dead need for that sort of thing. Oh man, the possibilities...
Raza

Postby Gorky » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 am

Saladman wrote:Good thing it was cold, that'd be a weird tableau to walk in on. And further proof, if it were needed, that Wanda has been a... sensual and physical creature from the very beginning. Not necessarily in a sexual sense though, and perhaps that part is common to croakamancers.

Yeah this explains a lot about Wanda.
Gorky

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 am

Raza wrote:If she can distinguish working organs from defective ones I would've expected them to work to some degree on the living

I read that more as a sort of "this muscle is still attached and can function properly if animated, while these tendons are ripped and the bones will need Magic to keep them together" type of diagnosis.
MarbitChow

Postby Raza » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:54 am

That's equally possible, sure. But since in erfworld, 'life' is the presence of a thing and death the (default) absence of it, for croakamancers to be unable to use their senses on living units would require a separate mechanism of resistance. Occam's razor is in my favor here.
Raza

Postby Morni » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:57 am

vintermann wrote:And the group attacking them ... is not Jetstone, or any other group we've heard of. I don't take the references, though. I suppose Haffaton could be "half a ton", but what is a colesloth?

half a ton of coleslaw?
Morni

Postby zuche » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:03 am

random_guy wrote:Interesting...so hoboken is not just a thinkamancy thing. All casters can use it as a basic offensive spell.

That which we call a magic missile by any other name would hit as hard.

zilfallon wrote:
about a twisted Dirtamancer who falls in love with his own crap golem.

What the boop...?

Sure! It's said the affair left Malion happy as a pig in...well, I'm sure you can guess. (In the interest of full disclosure, this joke was adopted from a Spider Robinson line.)
zuche

Postby DevilDan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:49 am

Very well written, and captivating in its pensive mood. The start of the life of a caster is an interesting subject to explore—particularly this one.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Next

Return to Reactions