Summer Updates - 015

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 015

Postby Unclever title » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 pm

DevilDan wrote:From wikipedia:
Gelatin (from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. ... Gelatin is an irreversibly hydrolyzed form of collagen. Gelatin is classified as a foodstuff, with E number E441. It is in some "gummy" candies as well as other products such as marshmallows and some low-fat yogurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin
Except horns and hooves are made of keratin... not bone or collagen.
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Unclever title wrote:Except horns and hooves are made of keratin... not bone or collagen.

And that's the reason (although horns may have a central core made of living bone, they are not
the place to look for collagen).

What makes things even funnier is that in the link provided by DevilDan from Wikipedia it's explicitly
mentioned:

Gelatin is derived mainly from pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides; contrary to popular belief, horns and hooves are not used.
teratorn

Postby DevilDan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, now I know something new about horns and hooves.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 pm

it's still fun to poke fun at naive vegetarians. no matter what animal parts it is.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Anton Gaist » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:29 pm

moose o death wrote:it's still fun to poke fun at naive vegetarians. no matter what animal parts it is.

Now that's just mean. And I'm not just saying it cos I didn't think about it first, not at all.

So maybe I am, sue me.

*runs off to find a vege*
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby teratorn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Anton Gaist wrote:Now that's just mean. And I'm not just saying it cos I didn't think about it first, not at all.
So maybe I am, sue me.

*runs off to find a vege*

Go for the younger ones, telling them they shouldn't be roasting marshmallows with the other kids
because they are made from dead animal skins looks particularly vicious.
teratorn

Postby moose o death » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 am

i prefer the teens to adults who claim to be vege's. extra points if they've just eaten something then you tell them where gelatine comes from.

it's there own fault for trying to convert me.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby BarGamer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 am

Bakin wrote:Yes, those are the original artists, but made much later, in the 80's or such - I used Related + new searches on youtube to find the original recordings; try it! :D :)

I had to make the extremely difficult choice between the relatively bad quality of a recording of young singers and stock pictures, and the better quality audio AND video of older singers. I feel I made the right choice FOR ME, but eh. You're the only one who's com (*cough*-plained*cough*) -mented about it so far. :)
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby WarFAN » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:50 am

A totally senseless and useless update.
WarFAN

Postby teratorn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm

WarFAN wrote:A totally senseless and useless update.

Yes, but that's what I understood these to be. Everyday Erflife with only minor hints of
action or plot. Anything important is saved for book 2. Here we get info on how units
behave, eat, think and such. Gives a feeling on how the world works.

It's clear from this last one that Jillian could survive in the wilderness with minimal
upkeep if she let her gwiffons fend for themselves (and with the huge move they
have they ought to find something).
teratorn

Postby John Campbell » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:13 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:Horned sheep, man that pun is pushing the limits.

It's not so much a pun. Horns - the musical kind - are called that for a reason.
John Campbell

Postby DevilDan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 pm

The hunter-gatherer approach would be how nomadic barbarians (as opposed to farmer ones?) survive.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Previous

Return to Reactions