Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 009

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 009

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Walt wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:But aye, them Predictamancers need to die. When the revolution comes, they'll be the first put against a wall and shot.

No... that's exactly what they'll be expecting you to do...

And they'll accept it as inevitable and even paint bulls-eyes on their foreheads.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:59 pm

You know, I keep telling myself that I prefer fast content-rich text updates than slow comics where the action advances at snails pace.

But still, I look at today's comic and the single images makes it so much better! I just want to hug uniform Wanda! THANK YOU XIN!

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Walt wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:But aye, them Predictamancers need to die. When the revolution comes, they'll be the first put against a wall and shot.

No... that's exactly what they'll be expecting you to do...

And they'll accept it as inevitable and even paint bulls-eyes on their foreheads.

More like they'll have quietly retreated to the MK.

I believe that's why it's a shame to be a MK resident if you're a predictmancer. It means you saw your side was doomed and then ditched them. :twisted:
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby badninja » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Wow sold out by her own side, no wonder she has no loyalty to anything but fate. Wanda so creepy yet so sad no wonder she has issues with betrayal.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:42 pm

If Wanda is unhappy about this what it to prevent her from turning soon after getting sold to Haffaton? "Oh, hey so your the new mercenary? Your name is? Jillian. Hey, can I join you guys, Olive Branch is a jerk. Sweet."

Oh, and the art is amazing.
Lamech

Postby raphfrk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:22 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:I believe that's why it's a shame to be a MK resident if you're a predictmancer. It means you saw your side was doomed and then ditched them. :twisted:

I wonder how duty would work, if the side is about to be wiped out, do you have a duty to remain in the capital and help it last for 1 more minute.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Glome » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:31 pm

raphfrk wrote:I wonder how duty would work, if the side is about to be wiped out, do you have a duty to remain in the capital and help it last for 1 more minute.

Probably not, as Parson wasn't required to stay when the capital was being destroyed around him. Even Wanda seemed to get around duty somewhat by rationalizing that the situation was hopeless.
Glome

Postby Dark Matter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:56 pm

It's more and more implied that predictions are things of *will* happen. That's both powerful and limiting. Knowing where a key battle will happen and who will be there so your luck-mage can boost him would be a good thing. Knowing no matter what you do, you're going to lose that same battle isn't.

Or put differently, can Predictmancers answer questions with the word "if" in them? "If I do this, what will happen?"

Assuming Fate is real and Delphie's visions are legit...

Wanda is going to end up with Haffaton. If we assume that's true via prediction, then the least painful way to do this is by selling her, which might save her side.
The most painful way would be for her side to be destroyed by Haffaton, and out numbered four to one...
Dark Matter

Postby Megaduck » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm going to go with another theory. What if Delphie is motivated by Duty and is trying to save Goodmiton.

Consider, the Mathamancer states that for every number you'll get a zero and that Fate is lazy and pulls form the nearest source. With Wanda Goodmiton just rolled a REALLY good number and now they are due for a really BAD number. But, If Delphie can pass Wanda off to Haffaton then they'll get the bad number.

Additionally, Delphie is a predictimancer. Lets assume for a minute that she knows everything that we know. Wanda is going to go to FAQ and then go to GK. The simplest way for this to happen is for goodmiton to somehow be destroyed and leave Wanda leaderless so she goes to FAQ. However, if Delphie can trade Wanda away for peace then there can be ways or Wanda to get to FAQ that do not include Goodmiton's destruction.
Megaduck

Postby raphfrk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Glome wrote:Probably not, as Parson wasn't required to stay when the capital was being destroyed around him. Even Wanda seemed to get around duty somewhat by rationalizing that the situation was hopeless.

But, Stanley wasn't in the capital at that moment. I guess the question was do you have to sacrifice your life so that the Side can continue for 1 more minute (so suicide to save the Ruler and Heir).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Dark Matter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Megaduck wrote:I'm going to go with another theory. What if Delphie is motivated by Duty and is trying to save Goodmiton.

Consider, the Mathamancer states that for every number you'll get a zero and that Fate is lazy and pulls form the nearest source. With Wanda Goodmiton just rolled a REALLY good number and now they are due for a really BAD number. But, If Delphie can pass Wanda off to Haffaton then they'll get the bad number.

Additionally, Delphie is a predictimancer. Lets assume for a minute that she knows everything that we know. Wanda is going to go to FAQ and then go to GK. The simplest way for this to happen is for goodmiton to somehow be destroyed and leave Wanda leaderless so she goes to FAQ. However, if Delphie can trade Wanda away for peace then there can be ways or Wanda to get to FAQ that do not include Goodmiton's destruction.
That's an interesting idea... going back to what was said when she showed up...

The numbers rose as a column, into the millions and billions and more, a silver thread stretching up and away from the peace below... For when the price was paid, it was Erfworld which processed the transaction. The world would produce the unit that was called for...more or less. There was the matter of the Fate Axis as well, and this unit was turning out to be very special. This unit would be worth far more than the buyer had paid for.

That was no violation of Numbers, though. It simply meant that this unit carried a balance due. And though it was an astronomically high figure, someone would pay.
Dark Matter

Postby warriortribble » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Megaduck wrote:I'm going to go with another theory. What if Delphie is motivated by Duty and is trying to save Goodmiton.

The only problem I can see with this theory is that the simplest thing Delphie could have done to save Goodmiton was to stop Wanda from ever popping. But I suppose it's possible that with the amount of Fate Wanda is supposed to have, Delphie decided to let her exist anyways because she felt that Wanda would have a net positive effect on the world.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby joosy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:44 pm

With these updates I feel like Homer Simpson in Donut Hell from TreeHouse of Horror IV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ZcZ2h4Ths

Rob: So you like Erfworld Updates do you?! Have ALL the Erfworld Updates in the world!! hahahahaaa!

Me: More.
joosy

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm

raphfrk wrote:
oslecamo2_temp wrote:I believe that's why it's a shame to be a MK resident if you're a predictmancer. It means you saw your side was doomed and then ditched them. :twisted:

I wonder how duty would work, if the side is about to be wiped out, do you have a duty to remain in the capital and help it last for 1 more minute.

Duty would probably compel you to stay and fight as long as you can... however if your loyalty is low, you might be able to disregard duty and save your own behind.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby ParsonIsOP » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Zeku wrote:Why was a flower power caster using a military style dress?

My guess is that the uniform is standard issue but the Hippiemancer never wears it.

It would explain why Wanda found it without having ever killed the wearer.
ParsonIsOP

Postby Whispri » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Saladman wrote:
WarFAN wrote:Wanda has no reason to accept her solding to Haffaton. She is a caster, and if Goodminton falls, she will be captured or could flee to the Magic Kingdom instead of being croaked.

Wanda has several good reasons to not trust Delphie´s actions, suggestion´s or predictions. I hope her Duty and her instincts will make her oppose Delphie´s plan.

Wanda's thinking of her side and her family, not just herself. The simple reason for Wanda to go along is that "very long treaty of alliance." Duty might suggest that peace with their closest and most dangerous enemy, and the time to re-arm, is worth a valuable caster, even when you're it. And we know treaties can be made magically compelling, or else have crippling penalty clauses, so properly worded it could in theory work out.

It sounds like Wanda's clear decision at the end was to go along with it.

Well... granting Wanda's hand to the enemy's Chief Caster might just end a war and seal an alliance it's true, but... consider the source. That Predictamancer lies... and is in Decay. What is this end she wants to take the quick and easy path to? If it's the fall of Goodminton, then taking longer to get there is a bonus, the whole point of fighting back. If it's Wanda 'entwining' with somebody, is it really best that it costs Wanda her side and family? That it costs her side and family a battle winning Caster? Does it need to?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Ytaker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 pm

warriortribble wrote:

The only problem I can see with this theory is that the simplest thing Delphie could have done to save Goodmiton was to stop Wanda from ever popping. But I suppose it's possible that with the amount of Fate Wanda is supposed to have, Delphie decided to let her exist anyways because she felt that Wanda would have a net positive effect on the world.

The side was close to death anyway. If Wanda does what she's supposed to the side can survive. She captured several cities for them and stopped a war against one of their foes. If she hadn't popped goodminton would be totally screwed.

But, zero calls. There's a big price to pay, and erfworld is lazy.
Ytaker
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:36 pm

ParsonIsOP wrote:

My guess is that the uniform is standard issue but the Hippiemancer never wears it.

Wouldn't that mean the Flower girl popped wearing it? Hard to see why she'd leave it in a recently captured Goodminton City if she were merely casting it aside.

It pretty much has to have been left there for Wanda to find. The only real alternative is that the Flower girl left it there as part of the build up for the final battle for Goodminton... but why bother doing that?

Ytaker wrote:The side was close to death anyway. If Wanda does what she's supposed to the side can survive. She captured several cities for them and stopped a war against one of their foes. If she hadn't popped goodminton would be totally screwed.

Perhaps. Or they could be betrayed and destroyed as part of the plan. Even if not, they have other enemies and frankly, this may not be a fair trade. Wanda for another dubious ally, is it really worth the exchange?
Whispri

Postby Ytaker » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:27 am

Whispri wrote:
ParsonIsOP wrote:

Wouldn't that mean the Flower girl popped wearing it? Hard to see why she'd leave it in a recently captured Goodminton City if she were merely casting it aside.

It pretty much has to have been left there for Wanda to find. The only real alternative is that the Flower girl left it there as part of the build up for the final battle for Goodminton... but why bother doing that?

Ytaker wrote:The side was close to death anyway. If Wanda does what she's supposed to the side can survive. She captured several cities for them and stopped a war against one of their foes. If she hadn't popped goodminton would be totally screwed.

Perhaps. Or they could be betrayed and destroyed as part of the plan. Even if not, they have other enemies and frankly, this may not be a fair trade. Wanda for another dubious ally, is it really worth the exchange?

If they were smart, they'd put a heavy money penalty on breaking the treaty, so if their enemies do attack their treasuries are solvent again. I'm not sure of the tactical benefit of sending Wanda away. They took a few cities easily. If their enemy started a concerted campaign they might well get destroyed. Or not. Anyway, if the predictomancer is working for their side, then they can easily predict the correct move to maximize their chance of survival, and Wanda makes it a lot easier.
Ytaker

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 am

Huh, mirrors are natural dittomancy? So what-- are bananas natural slippamancy? Is a flip book natural stageamancy?
How about putting a caterpillar under your nose so it looks like a mustache, is that natural changeamancy?
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby teratorn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:24 am

Wanda was extremely loyal to her original side. A pity she didn't get Parson at that time.
teratorn

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions