Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 015

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 015

Postby badninja » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Whispri wrote: And Wanda has free will.

I don't think so she is still a piece on the small scale and she has not really shown any real free will. She will develop this after she learns how to creativity listen to her commanders. Plus I still she Wanda as of the beginning of book 2 as not having much, if any, free will as her devotion to fate prevents her much. If she would say screw fate and win, I would believe she had free will but she has yet to show this.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:10 am

This update shoulda come with an age verifier :shock:
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Whispri » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 am

Arky wrote:Whether Wanda kills Olive or not, I think she must end up barbarian (and Tommy dead or disbanded) so that she flees to the Magic Kingdom, gets an education and eventually ends up in a position to be hired by FAQ. She can't have got to FAQ by conquest or open trading.

Why ever not? Faq launched plenty of military expeditions, given the talk of an eventual air attack in episode three, well...

badninja wrote:
Whispri wrote: And Wanda has free will.
I don't think so she is still a piece on the small scale and she has not really shown any real free will. She will develop this after she learns how to creativity listen to her commanders. Plus I still she Wanda as of the beginning of book 2 as not having much, if any, free will as her devotion to fate prevents her much. If she would say screw fate and win, I would believe she had free will but she has yet to show this.

She's an Officer and Commander. Chief Caster. Her choices, while moulded by duty, loyalty and obedience, are deciding the fate of Cities, Soldiers and probably Sides. Far future Wanda chooses to savagely welcome her fate. She could run like an Ansom if she so wished.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Morni » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:50 am

On the subject of things being having life. Sizemore will say that a montain is "alive", while linked Wanda made it's "hearth beat"

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F135.jpg

All casters see's thing differently, and they probably see different things "alive" base on the specialization.
Morni

Postby Wender » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:51 am

What, not a single crack about how Olive seemed to understand Motion at a Master level?
Wender

Postby Raza » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 am

Hippiemancers are pretty neat. Too bad their sexpositivity doesn't seem to extend beyond the living.

the_tick_rules wrote:This update shoulda come with an age verifier :shock:

What, to avoid confronting Erfworld's extensive pre-pubescent audience with suggestions they won't get? Would that be worse than missing a page from a book you're reading? :|
Raza

Postby drachefly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:45 am

Raza wrote:Hippiemancers are pretty neat. Too bad their sexpositivity doesn't seem to extend beyond the living.

Hmm. If you haven't read it already, look up "The Loving Dead", by Amelia Beamer.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Raza » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Sounds promising. Thanks for the suggestion.
Raza

Postby multilis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:14 pm

I also hear that there is a bestselling romance between living and undead, that has also been made into bestselling movies. It is called Twilight. ;-)

Personally I find the whole business strange, just as a romance beween a boy/girl and a tree or animal would be strange. Eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anbi1zIJET8
multilis

Postby Kaed » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Raza wrote:Hippiemancers are pretty neat. Too bad their sexpositivity doesn't seem to extend beyond the living.

drachefly wrote:Hmm. If you haven't read it already, look up "The Loving Dead", by Amelia Beamer.

What is this, Obliquely Encourage Necrophilia Week? :I
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:07 am

Arky wrote:
Whether Wanda kills Olive or not, I think she must end up barbarian (and Tommy dead or disbanded) so that she flees to the Magic Kingdom, gets an education and eventually ends up in a position to be hired by FAQ. She can't have got to FAQ by conquest or open trading.

no. Jillian was fighting as mercenary for extended periods of time. She could have picked up Wanda from goodmitton, haffaton or some other place.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Raza » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm

Kaed wrote:

drachefly wrote:Hmm. If you haven't read it already, look up "The Loving Dead", by Amelia Beamer.

What is this, Obliquely Encourage Necrophilia Week? :I

For me, every week is Encourage Necrophilia Week. Nothing oblique about it.
Raza

Postby Sieggy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Lends a whole new meaning to going out for a stiff one . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Arky » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:04 am

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:
Arky wrote:
Whether Wanda kills Olive or not, I think she must end up barbarian (and Tommy dead or disbanded) so that she flees to the Magic Kingdom, gets an education and eventually ends up in a position to be hired by FAQ. She can't have got to FAQ by conquest or open trading.

no. Jillian was fighting as mercenary for extended periods of time. She could have picked up Wanda from goodmitton, haffaton or some other place.

Pretty odd mercenary contract that lets the mercenaries keep something as valuable as a caster, especially since Faq went to a lot of trouble to conceal that it even existed. Jillian & co were doing mercenary work, not capturing cities for themselves. Also, if Jillian captured Wanda originally, I think we'd have heard about it.

Also, as a matter of narrative causality, it's going to suck if after this part of the origin story, we have to sit through a long time of Wanda at Haffaton and then get to Wanda being captured by Faq and then Wanda at FAQ and fit "Wanda meets Janice and Marie" in somewhere. Much better if she can get to FAQ directly from this situation via the Magic Kingdom: that hits all the pieces it needs to hit without padding.
Arky

Postby Whispri » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Arky wrote:Pretty odd mercenary contract that lets the mercenaries keep something as valuable as a caster, especially since Faq went to a lot of trouble to conceal that it even existed. Jillian & co were doing mercenary work, not capturing cities for themselves. Also, if Jillian captured Wanda originally, I think we'd have heard about it.

Also, as a matter of narrative causality, it's going to suck if after this part of the origin story, we have to sit through a long time of Wanda at Haffaton and then get to Wanda being captured by Faq and then Wanda at FAQ and fit "Wanda meets Janice and Marie" in somewhere. Much better if she can get to FAQ directly from this situation via the Magic Kingdom: that hits all the pieces it needs to hit without padding.

Hardly, Charile was going to snag a Mathamancy thingy and a Warlord who'd made Ansom very angry at the Battle for GK had everything not turned Volcano shaped. And really, who could stop them from just taking whatever they wanted the way they took Pogrock? Oh and Faq would have been carrying out merc work long before the black day of Jillian's popping.

You're needlessly inserting the Magic Kingdom between the destruction of Goodminton and Wanda falling into Faq's grubby paws. In anycase, Wanda is a Croakamancer, a rather unpopular discipline, how could she hope to earn her keep in the Magic Kingdom? Also, consider the title.
Whispri

Postby Mrtyuh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:25 am

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:I wonder why the plant was not immune to attack? Perhaps removing the floor from underneath someone does not count either. A trap door. A trap bed?

I think Olive's spell only affected units. It makes one unit unable to inflict damage on another unit. If this interpretation is correct, there are a few ways to get around it. A side with a Dirtamancer could undermine and collapse the garrison. A unit with firebirds or red dwagons could burn the garrison. A unit with purple or yellow dwagons could attack the garrison. This could potentially be a spell that backfires on the defenders, making them unable to engage a unit that can bypass it.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Aww man, I hate this. I really do. These updates are turning me into a Wanda fan. Which is bad, because as prequels, we all know where they are supposed to go to. It's not that I disliked the Wanda of the previous books ("Wanda = villain" doesn't quite fly for me), it's just that she was so ... leaves-me-indifferent-like, a mere cypher. Gosh, once Book 0 is done I'll need to reread the other books sometime, with a fresh eye.

I have to agree. I've always like Wanda, the character, the role she plays. These updates are really making me like Wanda, the person, albeit fictional. It's depressing knowing she's going to go through so much and change so radically.

Fcannon wrote:Interesting caster debate. Given the typical responses I've seen to sufferers of locked-in syndrome, I'd say Olive's argument that life>motion would have a lot less traction than she'd expect.

Given what's we've learned about Florists and poison, I wander if they capable of using tetrodotoxin.

Whispri wrote:Will there ever be another chance? I'm leaning towards 'no'.

I disagree. I still believe Delphie's prediction that Wanda will serve under Olive for a long time. While Delphie is a known liar, future Wanda has the fatalistic belief that Fate cannot be avoided. That implies that every Prediction of which she is aware has come to pass. I believe this one will as well. In my opinion, Wanda will serve under Olive. I think they will probably have a relationship during that time. Look at modern Wanda's livery. It has Olive's flower with a skull. Originally, I thought it merely reflected the nature of Erfworld; a cute, girly necromancer fit with the dissonance of the place, and the livery reflected that. Now, I think it speaks more about Wanda. This is the symbol with which Wanda identifies herself. I think using Olive's flower for her livery tells us a great deal about Wanda. Originally, Wanda kept the flower because she liked it, but I think there is more to it in the future. I think Olive will be such a big part of Wanda's life that it is an ubiquitous part of who Wanda is. I think her time serving Haffaton might be more important than her time at Goodminton, Faq or Gobwin Knob. I suspect that the skull will be added when Olive dies, although part of me would like to see present Wanda and Parson interact with her, if only for the amusement of Parson's reaction to her flirtatious nature. I doubt that will happen, though. As I said, I suspect she and Wanda will have a long relationship, and her death with affect Wanda deeply before we reach the present. Even Wanda's choice in colors reflect Haffaton. It seems her preferred colors are black and white, which are Haffaton's colors. Gobwin Knob's colors are black and red. While Wanda does use red alot too, the white may come from Haffaton. She certainly isn't going around wearing Goodminton's blue or Faq's green and yellow.

On the other hand, this may have been their one chance to start a truly loving and happy relationship. While I believe they will have a long relationship, it will always be tempered by Atomic's fate. If Wanda had shared Olive's bed, things probably would have played out differently.

There are a couple of things in this update upon which nobody touched.

"That was the mellowest rampage I've ever seen," she said in a soft, distant voice. "It was wonderful."

I find it interesting that Olive refers to the rampage as wonderful. I feel it says something about her, but I'm not smart enough to figure out what.

"He and I talked a lot, actually. About you, and Delphie," she said quietly, brushing her hair from her eyes. "He told me more about Delphie's Prediction than Delphie did."

I can't help feeling that Tommy basically killed himself at that moment. I would also very much like to know what, exactly, Delphie told Olive to get her to offer such a generous peace. At this point, I do think the offer was genuine, but that changed once Tommy told Olive, or at least, once Olive reported the new information to her Ruler. It does seem that Olive was the force behind the original offer. We know Delphie did not tell her that Wanda would be serving under Chief Florist Olive Branch. I doubt Delphie has Predicted that Wanda will Attune. What could Delphie have told Olive that would have made the latter convince her Ruler to offer such terms? The only thing that occurs to me is that Delphie told Olive that Wanda would be the love of her life or something, but that seems really cheesy and cliched.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions