Summer Updates - 016

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 016

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 pm

balder wrote:New one is up. Technically not 3 turns since TBfGK but I'm sure this one contains more squabble-worthy points than that. :lol:

Well, Gobwin Knob is probably taking their turn right now, unless someone is in their battle space. So it's been three turns for them. Just 2.9 turns for Transylvito. :)

Whoah, that means that time is DIFFERENT in different parts of Erfworld. Erfworld has relativistic time effects. Your time is relative to who's in your battlespace. This is really heavy, man. I'd elaborate further, but there's lots of math involved.

;)
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby vdragan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 am

gameboy1234 wrote:Whoah, that means that time is DIFFERENT in different parts of Erfworld. Erfworld has relativistic time effects. Your time is relative to who's in your battlespace. This is really heavy, man.

There's definitely something wonky going on with the time. For instance, say all actions in a turn take a constant time 'x' to be performed. Not technically accurate at all, but for the sake of simplicity, let's assume this is true. If everyone is in their own battlespace, with no interaction, then a day takes x time. But if two sides share battlespace, then a day takes 2x, while for everyone else (that isn't involved in that particular battlespace, or in any other battlespace with any other side) the day still takes x time. Happy fun times!

Even if we assume that real time doesn't exist in erfworld, and that everything is measured in turns, we still get two turns per day in a shared battlespace (or x turns, where x is the number of different non-allied sides), and one turn per day in battlespace occupied by only one power.

Which begs the question: What makes the sun go down? ("Why does the sun shine?" anyone?) The last side in natural turn order in a battlespace ending turn (which would involve different suns for each battlespace), or the last side in natural turn order for Erfworld ending turn. We already have units being affected by their sides entering battlespace with other sides possible hundreds of hexes away. Why not have two sides entering battlespace with eachother affect the entire world?

Ugh. This is why you just play games, and don't apply physics to them.
"You mustn't think me vain if you catch me glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I do it solely to remind myself what I look like - and that I should never stop trying to compensate for it"
vdragan

Postby BarGamer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:01 am

Speaking of odd things going on with the time, it's almost 2AM, and the new comic isn't up yet... And I'mma stop now, before I sound any more like a whiny 4-year-old.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 am

vdragan wrote:What makes the sun go down? ("Why does the sun shine?" anyone?)

There's a guy with a crank, which he turns to make the sun go up and down, and a dimmer switch. The crank is located near the head of one of the elephants, who are standing on the back of the turtle.

;)
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:10 am

valce wrote:How many units have to be in a zone before enemies are considered to be in their battle zone?

If putting a marbit or something in every hex counts, you might have a cheap way to guesstimate where enemy forces are (based on when your turn starts, since I assume your turn starts at the same time for all your units). If your turn starts/ends at a different time, then you can check likely hexes on your current/next turn and maybe get a jump start on your enemy's forces that way.

this may probably be catered for by the auomatic battle condition of unled stacks.

your unit would engage and die if it found rival forces, it may never register as having happened. unled it may not even be able to receive orders
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby BarGamer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:26 am

gameboy1234 wrote:

There's a guy with a crank, which he turns to make the sun go up and down, and a dimmer switch. The crank is located near the head of one of the elephants, who are standing on the back of the turtle.

;)

That's where "dead" units go, when they disappear. A guy in a bad Elvis suit force-conscripts them into working at keeping everything running smoothly. Lately, things have been going haywire, due to a certain rule-breaking not-a-unit...
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Justyn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 am

gameboy1234 wrote:

;)

I see what you did there.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby vdragan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 am

gameboy1234 wrote:

;)

going for a "they might be giants" reference and got a discworld reference. i love these forums.
"You mustn't think me vain if you catch me glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I do it solely to remind myself what I look like - and that I should never stop trying to compensate for it"
vdragan

Postby Unclever title » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 am

gameboy1234 wrote:

;)

Dang, not more than a week after first seeing the movie too, (never read the books but plan to) that's some surefire coincidence there!
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions