Summer Updates - 017

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 017

Postby cservant » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 pm

50s to mardi gras party shanks. This blends well?!

Imagine shanks upkeep. Daily popping of large bottles of......
Wait a minute...
cservant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ambug666 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:48 pm

BarGamer wrote:Also, I know that similar tattoos exist, but what does "antler emblems" MEAN?

Antler Emblem = Tramp Stamp.
Ambug666

Postby Unclever title » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:20 pm

BarGamer wrote:PS: When are we gonna see a "Knight Rider" joke? Unless the KISS riding spiders going into the tunnels was it? It didn't even look all that much like Kitt!

Speaking of '80s television, I do hope we get a MacGyver parody, I imagine him as some kind of caster probably in Stuffamancy perhaps Changemancy? I would've said Clevermancy but I think the categories there are kind of restrictive, but who knows?
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby John Campbell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31 pm

A whole city defended by flying Skanks? Where's Haley when you need her?

I was kind of hoping to get to see Transylvito itself.
John Campbell

Postby RusVal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Non-fliers could only reach the city by this trail, and the move penalty was murder. Low-move units (like, say, most siege engines) might need three or even four turns just to climb the mountain. The capital had not been seriously assaulted by ground in thousands of turns.

So the defenses were mainly towers, oriented for airspace fights. The outer walls were almost ornamental, and would barely inconvenience an attacking infantry, a fact which technically made the city a Level 4.

Mm, mm. Tastes like foreshadowing. :D

Why do I get the feeling that Erfworld is about to experience its first major combat airdrop in history?
RusVal

Postby DevilDan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:57 pm

RusVal wrote:Mm, mm. Tastes like foreshadowing. :D

Why do I get the feeling that Erfworld is about to experience its first major combat airdrop in history?

I'll buy airstrike, but airdrop suggests a revolutionary change in what we know about the capabilities of dwagons and other air units to carry riders...

decius wrote:Wow. Any suspicions that this would be family-friendly have been dispelled quite well.

That was well established when words like "bitch" and "shit" began to pop up.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Doctari » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Dear Titan,

Should I be croaked please let me come back as a count for Translvitto. Or maybe a flying unit for Duckula, a dark wing if you will.
Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal.
Doctari

Postby RusVal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:25 pm

DevilDan wrote:I'll buy airstrike, but airdrop suggests a revolutionary change in what we know about the capabilities of dwagons and other air units to carry riders...

Precisely. Remember, Parson is breaking rules left and right, why not a new strategy of rapid aerial deployment? How this would be carried out is the question, but hey, what's life without uncertainties?
RusVal

Postby DevilDan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:44 pm

RusVal wrote:
DevilDan wrote:I'll buy airstrike, but airdrop suggests a revolutionary change in what we know about the capabilities of dwagons and other air units to carry riders...

Precisely. Remember, Parson is breaking rules left and right, why not a new strategy of rapid aerial deployment? How this would be carried out is the question, but hey, what's life without uncertainties?

Hence "revolutionary."

But it's Ansom who's in charge now...
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Lothmar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:20 pm

If it was a relatively low move from point A to B by air, I could easily see a side on its turn using its fliers to bypass the long winding road with ground movement by mounting single warriors at a time, dropping them off outside the walls having the units form a stack as the fliers go back, remount new troops lather rinse repeat. And since the city counts as one space to my knowledge they'd only need one more move to get into the city airspace and provide support during the first turn. But yes, these are assumptions.
Lothmar

Postby DevilDan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Lothmar wrote:If it was a relatively low move from point A to B by air, I could easily see a side on its turn using its fliers to bypass the long winding road with ground movement by mounting single warriors at a time, dropping them off outside the walls having the units form a stack as the fliers go back, remount new troops lather rinse repeat. And since the city counts as one space to my knowledge they'd only need one more move to get into the city airspace and provide support during the first turn. But yes, these are assumptions.

Titans help any air units that wander into the range of TV's copious air defenses.

They could still ferry units to outside the outer walls... Assume that there's some point at which the troops can muster just inside one "untraversable" hex away from the outer walls. Say, then, two moves (one back, one forth) to transport two units if you're using dwagons. If dwagons have, for the sake of argument, 50 moves, that's approximately 25 trips. That's 50 units per dwagon in a single turn. If you have a sizable force of 30 dwagons, you can move at most 1,500 units, none of which are heavies or siege units. Add even a single hex in between and we're talking about two moves one way and two moves the other way. That's, say, about 12 trips per dwagon, or 24 units moved per dwagon each turn, which means less than 800 units placed in position.

(Or am I misunderstanding the hypothetical situation...)

On a separate note: "cool flavored wine." A wine cooler? A guess a little tackiness here and there is to be expected. It matches the tramp stamps.
DevilDan

Postby opal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm guessing, among TV's, being from Duckula (Vinny is a count of Duckula!) is equivalent to being a hillbilly. I don't have anything to support this argument, it is simply a wild guess.
opal

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:41 pm

I don't think a airdrop would be useful in that case. As far as I understand the city is on a mountain, so air units have a huge advantage against ground troops. They need flyers and archers to protect the siege and infantry. If they need more than one turn to transport their units they will have to split their forces, and that's not a good idea.
Well, except they veil parts of their air units and provoke a strike from transilvito.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby DevilDan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:52 pm

On the other hand, no terrain-based advantage or defense may be safe from an augmented dirtamancer.
DevilDan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Well, they have a dirtamancer, lots of gobwins with tunnelfigth-bonuses and shovels and tunnel-capable spidews. Attack from above and below.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Goshen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:17 pm

Ambug666 wrote:But what really gave me pause was, "And like Archons, they were nearly all female." I am a little afraid to try to picture a male Archon, or worse, a male Skank..
Marilyn Manson? Not a pretty sight!
Goshen

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:I don't think a airdrop would be useful in that case. As far as I understand the city is on a mountain, so air units have a huge advantage against ground troops. They need flyers and archers to protect the siege and infantry. If they need more than one turn to transport their units they will have to split their forces, and that's not a good idea.
Well, except they veil parts of their air units and provoke a strike from transilvito.

Spoiler: show
TV itself is heavily protected from attacks from the air. It takes low-move ground units 3-4 turns to traverse the ground path.

If you can air-drop, you drop your army 1 hex away from the city itself. You can hit it from the ground, where it's weakest, the very next turn. (I'm guessing that you cam always move 1 hex if your move > 0.)

TV has 1 turn to counter-attack you, but if they do, they do so without garrison (0 move) units or towers. If they wait, your infantry and siege units waltz right in.
MarbitChow

Postby Carlan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 pm

BarGamer wrote:Also, I know that similar tattoos exist, but what does "antler emblems" MEAN?

Lower back tattoos are more commonly known as tramp stamps, but are sometimes called ass antlers.
Carlan

Postby BarGamer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:27 pm

RusVal wrote:
Non-fliers could only reach the city by this trail, and the move penalty was murder. Low-move units (like, say, most siege engines) might need three or even four turns just to climb the mountain. The capital had not been seriously assaulted by ground in thousands of turns.
So the defenses were mainly towers, oriented for airspace fights. The outer walls were almost ornamental, and would barely inconvenience an attacking infantry, a fact which technically made the city a Level 4.

Mm, mm. Tastes like foreshadowing. :D

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Well, they have a dirtamancer, lots of gobwins with tunnelfigth-bonuses and shovels and tunnel-capable spidews. Attack from above and below.

Gobwins AND Marbits. My guess is, there would be some kind of feint in the air, involving unipegataurs, Archons, and dwagons, but the REAL armies are all underground. Add in Wanda healing her Decrypted and Decrypting those who fall, and you've got the start of a serious Stanley Steam(er-)rolling. And well, don't discount the psychological warfare tactic of Ansom begging Vinny to join him on the "Titan's side."
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Frogpop » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 am

kaburi wrote:Awesomely puntastic post! Loved the Count Duckula reference...

And am I wrong in assuming the skanks were giving everyone jello shots and mardi gras beads? :P

Not Mardi Gras beads.. those don't bleed "glowing necklace goo" when you cut them. It seems that they're glowing glowstick necklaces like the ones you might see at raves, danceclubs, or spwing bweak.

p.s. Don't even tell me it's too late to add a vote for the Skanks to be included in the calendar. ;)
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions