Stuffamancers

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Stuffamancers

Postby Mrtyuh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:03 am

Sizemore Rockwell wrote:That's Stuffamancy. Really versatile magic. Weapons, armor, tools...Stuffamancers just imagine it and conjure it.

This is something that has been bugging me for a while, so I've decided to seek the imput of others. The above quote is Sizemore's response to Parson's question, "How would you make a magic blanket?" Parson wanted a blanket that could be resized, like the Eyebooks.

"Conjure as in make it?" Parson said with his mouth full. "Create it? Or summon it from somewhere?"

Sizemore leaned forward excitedly, rocking a little as he spoke. "That's a great question, Warlord. There's a big debate about that, getting right down to the level of 'what is magic?' and 'what is stuff?' Some Casters think they're the same thing, and that Stuffamancy proves it. But even the Stuffamancers don't agree about that.".

My problem is Stuffamancers don't actually do that, with a couple known partial exceptions. There are three types of Stuffamancers: Dirtamancers, Changemancers and Dittomancers. While we can't be certain about Changemancers, we know that the others don't so much conjure stuff as manipulate stuff. The first partial exception I mentioned was Lloyd quadrupling arrows, but he still needed the original arrows before he could conjure the duplicates. It would seem all of his abilities would have the same limitation. The second was Sizemore rebuilding Gobwin Knob, but that was described as Moneymancy; something was purchased, and it appeared. Everything Sizemore has done with his own juice, whether making golems or tunnelling involves manipulating stuff that already exists. As mentioned, we can't know about Changemancers, but the name itself implies manipulation rather than creation. Twolls have the Fabrication special, but the seem to need raw materials. Dollamancers can create raiment and accessories, but they also seem to need stuff with which to work.

There are only two examples I can think of that involve conjuring. One is Hat Magic. Cubbins seemed to pull the components Ace needed out of his hat. We don't even know if he was actually conjuring anything. He may have been retrieving stuff previously stored or from elsewhere. The other example is Moneymancy. Moneymancy would cover every unit popped in Erfworld. Hat Magic is Stagemancy, and Moneymancy is Clevermancy, so they aren't even in the same class.

Also, the way Sizemore talks about Stuffamancers is strange, since he, himself, is a Stuffamancer. He never refers to it as something he could do. I'm probably thinking about this way to much, but I'd like to read what others think on the subject.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Stuffamancers

Postby Lamech » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 am

Hmm... perhaps this is more evidence that a casters referred to by a magic class are different from a discipline. So a stuffamancer is a step above a mere dirtamancer and a hippiemancer above a florist.
Lamech

Postby Mrtyuh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:40 am

That would be a scary thought, especially if they gained access to the other fields of their class in addition to their new class abilities. If Wanda became a Naughtymancer, she could gain Shockamancy and Retconjuration (unlikely). It certainly a possibility.

On the other hand, there was that one flashback to Faq were Wanda addressed Jack as Eyemancer, so there may not a higher class.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:44 am

the debate was that digdoug was able to create springs and just totally replace a pumping machine. eventually it boiled down to they could either create matter out of juice or change matter into different matter like making dirt into wood to support a tunnel. changemancy is probably giving weapons and stuff bonuses in addition to the ability to resize stuff. creen's sword could maybe be a changemancy item,
conmor

Postby Alpha the White » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:41 am

conmor wrote:the debate was that

You're replying to a post from 2012. I'm pretty sure "the debate was NOT" what you are saying, all things considered.
Alpha the White

Return to Everything Else Erfworld