Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 021

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 021

Postby Whispri » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 am

0beron wrote:We have seen time and again that Casters are TREASURED. Even sides that are not magic-oriented respect the value of Casters, so the idea of disbanding a caster after spending so long popping them strikes me as highly unlikely. I imagine most sides would react like Firebaugh did, with a degree of disgust but ultimately throwing their hands up and saying "oh well"

And yet there's an entire branch of Hippiemancy of which Sides rarely keep the Mancers. Croakamancers are actively despised just for the crime of existing, Wanda had familiy ties to protect her, most don't.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:01 am

Sixty, we have also heard from Jillian that "it is said the Titans know the deepest desires of a Ruler and sometimes see fit to indulge those feelings", which is also evidenced in the fact that Jillian has apparently defied all odds by popping 6? warlords without getting a caster yet. Perhaps this lack of casters in the future justified an excess of casters in the past (settling the debt accrued in the Land of Zero hehe). I agree that having more than 4 casters would be highly unusual...but given old-FAQ's disposition, I posit that is POSSIBLE and we have enough cause to suggest it might have been so.

Great point Whispri, I had totally forgotten about that. So that update seems to suggest they are traded or sold away, perhaps even released into the MK. It likely depends on the situation, since sides tolerate Date-a-Mancers when combat is heavy, but despise them in times of peace. I imagine Croakamancers would be viewed the same way.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Arcana » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 pm

joosy wrote: ...So now we know that at some point, Wanda was a mini-Parson with her questioning and interest . Something is going to happen to curb her appetite and put her on the path of serving Fate. ...

Balerion wrote:What I am curious about is if Marie was deliberately attempting a prediction, or if it just came to her... There really isn't much of a reason for her to have been trying to make a prediction involving Wanda, which does raise some questions about just how in control of their magic predictimancers are. Without giving us enough evidence to say anything one way or the other of course ;)

After the spell was made, Marie called the shots from there. A lot of what she had said and done so far had troubled Janis. She was trying not to get uptight about the way this was all playing out, but the choice of Wanda had bugged her from the start.
"No she's really da one, I Predict it Jonnis," Marie told her whenever she had doubted. "It's Fate, my excellent friend. You don't fight Fate, you help it!"
Book 2 - text 37

Hello everyone. 1st time post; long time reader.

What if the predictamancer / thinkamancer conspiracy regarding Parson didn’t start with him? What if Marie started this whole thing with Wanda’s popping? That would explain Marie’s interest in Wanda and her not wanting to talk to Wanda at this point.

Also, maybe it’s Marie’s influence, and not Olive or any events that happen with GoodMinton, that gives Wanda her fatalist point of view.
Arcana

Postby multilis » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Arcana wrote:What if the predictamancer / thinkamancer conspiracy regarding Parson didn’t start with him? What if Marie started this whole thing with Wanda’s popping? That would explain Marie’s interest in Wanda and her not wanting to talk to Wanda at this point.

... or it could have started with Jack, etc. Jack is also very good at his specialty and has similar eyes with pupils.

Unclear who or what "fate" really is, and that is likely the "beginning".

In beginning of Book 1, Parson was going to DM an impossible scenario with 4 players, and he was going to cheat them till they found a way to cheat him and beat him.
multilis

Postby Catalyst » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 pm

"I don't understand..." said Wanda. She was not sure she wanted to.

"I don't think you want to," said the woman. "I do undahstand, and I suhtanly don't want to."

Can Predictamancers read thoughts? I thought that was the domain of Thinkamancers, but Marie seems to respond directly to Wanda's thoughts.
"Is this a real holy war? Or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other? Too fine a distinction?"
Catalyst

Postby Raza » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Catalyst wrote:

"I don't think you want to," said the woman. "I do undahstand, and I suhtanly don't want to."

Can Predictamancers read thoughts? I thought that was the domain of Thinkamancers, but Marie seems to respond directly to Wanda's thoughts.

She might be able to predict them, or Wanda's actions at some further point in time while she is in the process of finding out [what she doesn't want to understand] and infer her disposition from that.

Predictamancy is extrasensory perception, and we don't currently know what shapes it takes. If intuition is predictamancy communicated over thinkamancy, thoughts might possibly be predictable in their own form.
Raza

Postby Housellama » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Raza wrote:
Catalyst wrote:

She might be able to predict them, or Wanda's actions at some further point in time while she is in the process of finding out [what she doesn't want to understand] and infer her disposition from that.

Predictamancy is extrasensory perception, and we don't currently know what shapes it takes. If intuition is predictamancy communicated over thinkamancy, thoughts might possibly be predictable in their own form.

Or it could be simple common sense. It doesn't take a genius to read Wanda's expressions and emotions. She probably was looking rather hesitant at that point.

Or, it could simply be Marie being Marie. "what's wrong?" "Trust me, you don't want to know." Even if Wanda did want to know, it's still a valid, easily justifiable statement for a tricksie Predictamancer to say.

I seriously doubt Marie was reading her thoughts. Face, maybe. Body language, probably. But not her thoughts.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:28 am

Could have a thinkamancy minor, but agreed. That reads as 'natural signamancy' i.e. normal conversation.
drachefly

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:37 am

Sixty wrote:Anyways, I said I wasn't so sure that Faq had six casters based on that snippet from Stanley. Faq only has 3 cities and is a very small side by all measures, I don't think you'd need six casters for it to be considered "a lot" especially since one of the largest sides we know, Jetstone, has 4 casters, so a side as small as Faq having even 3 seems like a lot...It's possible Faq had other casters we don't know about, but I dunno about 6 or more, that seems like an incredibly huge amount for such a small side.

I think part of the belief that Faq had so many casters comes from here. In the third panel, you can see five figures kneeling around King Banhammer. Two of those figures are Wanda and Jack. It was speculated that these were casters in circle at the philosophical feet of Banhammer. Given the angle, it is possible for there to be more outside of view. We know Gobwin Knob had five casters at one point, although two of those were captures. If Banhammer was a collector, it is certainly possible he had more.

It also occurs to me, why Banhammer may have desired Wanda. The Wanda we are seeing at Goodminton is interested in other magics. She wanted to discuss it and learn. That is the type of caster Banhammer wanted in his court. It may also be the reason Wanda seems to care so little about it at Gobwin Knob. After discussing it ad nauseum at Faq, she may just be sick of it.

0beron wrote:Sixty, we have also heard from Jillian that "it is said the Titans know the deepest desires of a Ruler and sometimes see fit to indulge those feelings", which is also evidenced in the fact that Jillian has apparently defied all odds by popping 6? warlords without getting a caster yet. Perhaps this lack of casters in the future justified an excess of casters in the past (settling the debt accrued in the Land of Zero hehe). I agree that having more than 4 casters would be highly unusual...but given old-FAQ's disposition, I posit that is POSSIBLE and we have enough cause to suggest it might have been so.

Great point Whispri, I had totally forgotten about that. So that update seems to suggest they are traded or sold away, perhaps even released into the MK. It likely depends on the situation, since sides tolerate Date-a-Mancers when combat is heavy, but despise them in times of peace. I imagine Croakamancers would be viewed the same way.

Delphie also commented that Fate dictates if a commander will be a caster. Given the fact that some outside force influences it, it seems unlikely a Ruler would be given a caster for which they did not have any use, even if it is only to trade.

Arcana wrote:Hello everyone. 1st time post; long time reader.

What if the predictamancer / thinkamancer conspiracy regarding Parson didn’t start with him? What if Marie started this whole thing with Wanda’s popping? That would explain Marie’s interest in Wanda and her not wanting to talk to Wanda at this point.

Also, maybe it’s Marie’s influence, and not Olive or any events that happen with GoodMinton, that gives Wanda her fatalist point of view.

Welcome to the board. Personally, I think the conspriacy just started with whatever Marie saw. Marie will approach Janis, since Janis has the influence to make things happen. I also got the impression that won't happen until after Marie is exiled to the Magic Kingdom, though. For some reason, I doubt Delphie is part of it. I may be wrong, but that's what I feel in my gut. We just know what Janis knows, so she certainly may be ignorant of any part of the conspiracy that comes before her involvement.

Catalyst wrote:Can Predictamancers read thoughts? I thought that was the domain of Thinkamancers, but Marie seems to respond directly to Wanda's thoughts.

I don't think any Thinkamancy is involved. "You don't want to know," seems a perfectly normal response in that situation.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 21:

"Wanda, you will find your way to us. But we should really not be talking to you right now."

Yet another Prediction that Wanda has witnessed that has come to pass. They do seem to be adding up.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 13:

On most nights, she did dream vividly of battles and castles and casting, and of people she did not know, who were as real to her within the dream as any she met while awake.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) - Episode 21:

Odd as they both seemed, there was a kind of familiarity to them, as if they were more real in some way than the other strangers in the park.

I think this is a nice callback. I don't know if it is Predictamancy, Signamancy or Date-a-mancy, but there is an instant connection to those who will be a significant part of her future. I wonder if this is something unique to Wanda, and perhaps Predictamancers. Jack didn't seem to pay Wanda any particular attention, so he may not have felt it.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Raza » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 am

Housellama wrote:Or it could be simple common sense. It doesn't take a genius to read Wanda's expressions and emotions. She probably was looking rather hesitant at that point.

Or, it could simply be Marie being Marie. "what's wrong?" "Trust me, you don't want to know." Even if Wanda did want to know, it's still a valid, easily justifiable statement for a tricksie Predictamancer to say.

I seriously doubt Marie was reading her thoughts. Face, maybe. Body language, probably. But not her thoughts.

I agree, but that wasn't Catalyst's question. Personally, it strikes me as a believable coincidence emphasized by literal symmetry.
Raza

Postby Amado » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Housellama wrote:
Raza wrote:
Catalyst wrote:

Or it could be simple common sense. It doesn't take a genius to read Wanda's expressions and emotions. She probably was looking rather hesitant at that point.

Or, it could simply be clever writing. It gave me a chuckle.
Amado

Postby ScegfOd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:53 am

Amado wrote:Or, it could simply be clever writing. It gave me a chuckle.

wheres the +1 button? :D
ScegfOd
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Previous

Return to Reactions