The Magic Kingdom

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The Magic Kingdom

Postby Azukar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:30 am

Has anyone else noticed that the Magic Kingdom seems to run on earth rules, instead of Erf rules?

1. It doesn't seem to be turn-based; anyone with Juice can cast at the same time regardless of side.
2. There seems to be a universal day/night cycle (if I can infer that from TBFGK page 141 - whose side would the MK night sync with?)
3. Without any apparent hex boundaries, the only thing stopping Sizemore (or another caster) from moving around the kingdom is... time.

What do other forum goers think?
---

-Az
Azukar

Re: The Magic Kingdom

Postby Lamech » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:36 am

If you note at the entrance to portal park there are monolith type things. Similar to the portal generators. I assume they use turnamancy to allow off-turn movement. They probably have more turnamancy to make all the hexes count as "active" for casting purposes.
Lamech

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 am

Azukar wrote:1. It doesn't seem to be turn-based; anyone with Juice can cast at the same time regardless of side.

I think this mostly has to do with the fact that there are always unallied units present in the magic kingdom. We know from one of the klogs in book 2 that a lot of spells can't be cast unless enemies are present. And luckily all casters are commanders, so they are capable of gathering peacefully with enemy casters without auto attacking.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Azukar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 am

Good points.

In that case, I'm kinda surprised that Sizemore and Maggie have such a hard time coming to grips with earth time, when it's not too hard to compare it with the Magic Kingdom...
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Thunder » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:07 am

i kinda figured the magic kingdom was only one hex, im not sure if it was mentioned anywhere, or if it was mentioned somewhere that this was not the case, but if it is only one hex it would seem to fit?
I live up in the land of ice and snow, where the hot springs blow, from the city which rhymes with fun.
do you know from whence i hail?
Thunder

Postby DeathTheKid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm

I don't know if we can think of it as a hex, since units are able to move into it off turn (this could be due to turnamancy though, as mentioned in the klog cloudbreaker quoted). Though then we must question when the turnamancy "activates" since the caster can begin moving into at night when they have no move. Could someone step halfway through a portal to get some move, then move somewhere else off turn?
DeathTheKid

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 pm

I remember some speculation a while back that movement was only needed to cross a hex boundary. The movement cost of terrain was in essense the toll payed to cross that boundary. If the Magic Kingom is a hex, and Portal Park is at its center, those entering and leaving the Magic Kingdom are essentially cheating. Since they do not actually crossing hex boundary, they need no move to do so. Since casters are bypassing the hex boundaries, they can come and go as they please, even when it is not their turn. I don't remember who wrote it, but it made sense to me at the time.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld