Commanders: Chime in

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Commanders: Chime in

Postby DevilDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:Okay, then: King Banhammer, King Stanley IV, King Slately, Don King: As far as we know, none of these men were ever warlords. The question is, can they lead units? We've never seen them do it, but my guess would be yes, as if you lose all your warlords and Casters, you should still be able to lead your last few units.

Normally I'd have defined, offhand, a warlord as any non-caster with leadership. Overlords would fit that definition if, as it is reasonable to assume, they have that ability. Address them as "warlord" at your peril, however.

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:As far as a non-bonus, non-caster "Commander," I'd say it's possible... but why pay their upkeep? I'd disband them if I had any warlords at all. And who would these people be? Faq sounds like a likely candidate, but if there were any other commanders in Faq besides Jillian (I can't remember atm if they were specifically mentioned), why wouldn't they be Warlords, like Jillian, and wasted like the troops who are more like clerks? Capable of fighting (or leading/providing bonus) but never used for that. Or like, Big Al. Big Al would be a great use of this possibility, but isn't he also a Warlord? (I'll have to check).

Yes, you might disband them... after you've confirmed that they aren't worth keeping on their own merits as fighters (based on strength vs. upkeep, cost-benefit analysis, presumably). Of course, if you're a poor side it might be worth it to keep them simply because of their leadership advantage and with the hope that they can gain in level—after all, poor sides with small cities, or perhaps barbarians, might only pop low- and no-bonus leaders/warlords.

Jillian does mention that Banhammer had at least a few warlords under him. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F082.jpg
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Maldeus » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:03 pm

There may be some kind of special unit that controls a non-Capital City for their Side. A Governor, you might call him, who pops when the City changes hands.
Maldeus

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Re-checked; Al is named a "Regent Warlord." So even if he's got a bonus of 1 or 0 and negligible combat ability, he's a Warlord. Given that a combat non-entity like Al (I'm guessing here, of course) and people not really used for combat, like in Faq, are officially Warlords, I would guess that there isn't a "Commander" "rank" that is neither Warlord nor Caster - until, that is, we see one that has some other ability. But I don't think there is a generic "Warlord without a bonus" class of unit.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Kreistor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:21 am

Regent means a few things, but amoung them is "ruler or governor". Since Warlords turn gems (and other things) into Shmuckers, I'd say that Regent is only a term for a warlord that sticks in a city to provide that function, and provide orders in case of surprise attack.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:32 am

...okay?

What does that have to do with what I said? Or were you just making a random statement that is tangentially connected?

I was just pointing out that if a warlord would be used for such an administrative position, why would there be a separate, non-Warlord unit designed for non-combat leadership functions?

What you've written only seems to support that, but the way it's written (or the way I'm reading it; perhaps based on previous experience), it sounds like you're trying to offer a counterpoint.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Kreistor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 am

Just ssaying that "Regent Warlord" isn't necessarily a mechanical term that limits or provides functionality. He probably can't do anything more than any other Warlord stopping by the city on his way elsewhere.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:46 pm

oh, no, I wasn't trying to indicate he was some sort of special unit type; I assume he's doing the same thing as the other TV warlords who split off to manage cities

I wrote "Regent Warlord" because I was quoting. Maybe I should have italicized Warlord or something.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby BlackDwagon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 pm

lets say that "warlord" is not a class just like ruler isn't a class, Stanley's Job is to be ruler, but what he does is.... Dragon rider? I remember no time when he is ever called anything but "Piker" as such, a piker of high level can be a warlord so that would make a "Piker Warlord", but it wouldn't matter what the ability of the warlord is, just that they are a warlord. also, in page 5, Wanda, Class: Caster is referred to as "officer". so... a commander is any person that can lead troops, but not all get a direct Leadership bonus aside from their Rank "im a 9, you're a 5..." a warlord and ruler get the leadership bonus, probably in addition to other bonuses that affect leadership. an arken-tool will cause other troops to follow you (or be destroyed). leadership isnt an on/off kind of thing, instead its quantative, more leadership the better things go.

Thats my take so view it as you will
"Sometimes you need to tame a Dwagon, sometimes you just need to Bust a Nut."
BlackDwagon
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Don't forget that some titles will be used out of politeness, some will be "catch-alls," and some will be side-specific, to name a few possible monkeywrenches in the "grand naming scheme" deductive game.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby President_Allosaurus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 am

Personally, I believe "Commander" just refers to any unit that can lead a stack, or is doing so. While it's popped up, it's never been shown to give any bonus in of itself (Warlords and Casters do that by themselves, by Leadership or Magic), so I think it's just a descriptive term, and it describes things leading stacks, so..
President_Allosaurus

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld