Summer Update - 018

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 018

Postby balder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:06 am

Darned if it's not another Summer Update.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 018

Postby Carlan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:12 am

Maybe she should have asked to use the bathroom.
Carlan

Postby sdub » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:16 am

It's going to be a marriage proposal, I think
sdub

Postby BarGamer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 am

No, I don't think she would've asked to find the latrine. Something so... "basic" would've sent the wrong message, as it were. By asking him to refer to her familiarly, and also down-playing her title, she sent the message, "I'm not comfortable with my rank, and the associated responsibilities. In fact, I don't want it." Don looked sad because he now knows that she will not be a good leader of men. A good leader of TROOPS, maybe. Don now has even less of a reason to trust Jillian, because he knows that she'll be against becoming Faq Royalty again. But he might have to force her to, either morally (which he knows very little about Jillian's,) physically (HAH!) or psychologically. If I were Don King, I would go the latter route: show her the view of his city or something, invoke the memory of Ansom, convince her to "grin and bear it," possibly rescue Ansom and Wanda from the foul clutches of Stanley, stuff that he knows has a chance of working, from the debriefing.

PS: Bunny's chewing gum or something?
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lunaya » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:16 am

Don King seems nice. That's encouraging, but I can't really guess what Jillian's in for. Caesar doesn't like it, whatever it is. ;)
Lunaya

Postby vdragan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:37 am

Carlan wrote:Maybe she should have asked to use the bathroom.

That's exactly what I thought she was going to ask. Certainly in the vein of "kiss your own ring".

I dunno if I agree with your analysis of the situation, bargamer. But only time will tell. I'm really interested in what comes next, actually. Though it's probably going to be a change of scene. (grrr..stupid cliffhangers)
"You mustn't think me vain if you catch me glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I do it solely to remind myself what I look like - and that I should never stop trying to compensate for it"
vdragan

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:48 am

sdub wrote:It's going to be a marriage proposal, I think

I'm with you. "Wish it had been the Dungeon?" Caesar storms off in a huff? Don wants Jillian to marry Caesar. Thus "Love is a Battlefield."
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby moose o death » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:07 am

i was kinda hoping for the mural of the titans and the molls as the picture
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Winged » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:12 am

Nah, the marrage thing is too simple, and frankly there is nothing to gain from it. She has no acctual political power right now, so he's not gaining that, he has never met her before, no no enfatuation, and princes and such can just be popped, no marrage needed.

nope, I'm thinking a nice noble social function which she will be required to atend...with a dress, and lots of people to deal with.
Winged

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:49 am

BarGamer wrote:No, I don't think she would've asked to find the latrine. Something so... "basic" would've sent the wrong message, as it were. By asking him to refer to her familiarly, and also down-playing her title, she sent the message, "I'm not comfortable with my rank, and the associated responsibilities. In fact, I don't want it." Don looked sad because he now knows that she will not be a good leader of men. A good leader of TROOPS, maybe. Don now has even less of a reason to trust Jillian, because he knows that she'll be against becoming Faq Royalty again. But he might have to force her to, either morally (which he knows very little about Jillian's,) physically (HAH!) or psychologically. If I were Don King, I would go the latter route: show her the view of his city or something, invoke the memory of Ansom, convince her to "grin and bear it," possibly rescue Ansom and Wanda from the foul clutches of Stanley, stuff that he knows has a chance of working, from the debriefing.

PS: Bunny's chewing gum or something?

Actually, I'd guess that Jillian is *perfect* for what Don wants her for.

The Transylvitoans rule an extended area through the use of subject kingdoms and the payment of tribute, and effectively rule an area beyond that first area through the use of intimidation, and "protection" services. Don wants FAQ under his control, and the Transylvitoan modus operandi appears to be to set a docile subordinate leader on the Throne of FAQ, to run the area and pay the Transylvitoans their "cut" for their "services" of protecting FAQ. As compensation, he'll probably offer her (a) a chance to hit again at Stanley, and (b) Vinnie as a consort.

I'd guess that as far as Don is concerned, Jillian's being a sub-par leader who fails to inspire anyone off of the battlefield, and who also shows little or no interest in the affairs of state, is PERFECT for his needs, because this means that she won't be able to foster any sort of personal loyalty among her subjects, so she could be easily replaced if she got out of line.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby Winged » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:18 am

While I'm not sure I exactly agree with you spot, you might be onto somthing. Perhaps he wants her to reform faq so that she can act as intimidation to other contries without acctuly being a threat to TV.

she bullies places like carpool a bit, tv slaps her on the rist, carpool pays big, and no real expence of war, which with GK ready to move again they might not be able to afford.
Winged

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:04 am

Winged wrote:While I'm not sure I exactly agree with you spot, you might be onto somthing. Perhaps he wants her to reform faq so that she can act as intimidation to other contries without acctuly being a threat to TV.

she bullies places like carpool a bit, tv slaps her on the rist, carpool pays big, and no real expence of war, which with GK ready to move again they might not be able to afford.

Aha! I hadn't thought of Jillian as the "bad cop" to Don as "Good Cop", but that would definitely make sense and fit in with Transylvito's methods.
Spot

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:40 am

Is it just me, or did the strip contain an above average percentage of sexual innuendo? I like it.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby moose o death » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 am

innuendo and mallet to the face level.

i don't know why wedding bells are ringing for so many people. units pop when ordered, so breeding heirs isn't needed. joining kingdoms via matrimony is unnecesary as you can simply form a contractual alliance.

i still don't understand why FAQ is even vacant? i'm not sold on wanda's story. why would stanley conquer faq and leave it frozen? he takes two casters and leaves? and no-one has stumbled on this place despite the foolamaner (who is now with stanley) had to conceal FAQ from tv constantly according to jillian? either rob left a tonne of plotholes...or faq isn't vacant and jack wasn't the only foolamancer.

my favourite theory for now is that faq bought off stanley by offering the traitor and something useful. jack and wanda. faq then used the situation to their own advantage to disband jillian. who as a royal MAY convert to barbarian. wanda and jillian removed from the picture FAQ pops a new heir that better alligns their lifestyle and continues to hide from TV.

by may convert to barbarian i mean i don't know.

another thought occurs, if you eneter battlesapce with someone (which i'll assume is distance based if YOUR entering it) wouldn't TV or others notice their turns being affected. to succesfully conceal the city surely you'd need a turnamancer as well. or maybe we "failled to notice" faq a couple of updates ago. but jillian should have known it was close enough if that were the case.i vaguely recall those thoughts from vinnies perspective and not jillians. so this may be accurate as well.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby HandofShadows » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am

I suspect theat there will be a very big curve ball being thrown at us very soon.
HandofShadows

Postby moose o death » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:08 am

HandofShadows wrote:I suspect theat there will be a very big curve ball being thrown at us very soon.

yep sometime next month. i vaguely recal sep17th but don't know why
moose o death

Postby SteveMB » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:50 am

BarGamer wrote:No, I don't think she would've asked to find the latrine. Something so... "basic" would've sent the wrong message, as it were. By asking him to refer to her familiarly, and also down-playing her title, she sent the message, "I'm not comfortable with my rank, and the associated responsibilities. In fact, I don't want it." Don looked sad because he now knows that she will not be a good leader of men. A good leader of TROOPS, maybe. Don now has even less of a reason to trust Jillian, because he knows that she'll be against becoming Faq Royalty again. But he might have to force her to, either morally (which he knows very little about Jillian's,) physically (HAH!) or psychologically.

She tries to get out of the whole royalty thing, but they keep dragging her back in....
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby name lips » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:24 am

I think he's going to offer her Caesar's job.
name lips

Postby bathysphere » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:13 am

Wow. Moose o clever. Interesting that no one actually made it back to FAQ to settle that question one way or the other.

Also makes me appreciate how erflings rely on game mechanics for their sense of what's happening around them (e.g. turn order) and how that could be tweaked. Not that I think this is a great theory, but just by way of example, the king of faq coulda ditched Jillian by sending her into the field, ending his side in some manner, and starting a new one (maybe).
bathysphere

Postby DevilDan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:51 am

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "brass balls."
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Next

Return to Reactions