Wanda's new raiment

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Wanda's new raiment

Postby mortissimus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
drachefly wrote:The funny thing is, no one would have given him any trouble on it if he hadn't given us the verbal description.

Ninja-ed.

Anyway, if ever I write a webcomic, novel, or any piece of fiction, I will not refer to Stupidworld fashion styles by name. This should be a law on a list for writers, a-la The Evil Overlord List. But for writers.

But unless there are pictures or to detailed descriptions it is perfectly safe to name Stupidworld fashion styles in a novel. It is the combination of naming Stupidworld fashion styles and describing them in such detail as to reveal your lack of all-konwingness that gets you in trouble.

Then again it may or may not suit your literary style better to describe then to name.
mortissimus

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Can you *berons stop agreeing with/defending each other, it's creeping me out. :P

mortissimus wrote:But unless there are pictures or to detailed descriptions it is perfectly safe to name Stupidworld fashion styles in a novel. It is the combination of naming Stupidworld fashion styles and describing them in such detail as to reveal your lack of all-konwingness that gets you in trouble.

Aaarg. You are of course correct.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Housellama » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:55 pm

LittleGreenSoldier wrote:Okay, you know what? No. I'm not going to play this game with you. I've already addressed almost everything in your post, with links to resources. You're just cherrypicking my posts and grasping to find things that you think are objectionable, and now you've resorted to being abusive as well. So no, I refuse to continue discussing this with you. It's a waste of time, mine and yours.

Got it in one. It took some of us several threads and arguments to reach this point. You are to be congratulated on your speedy comprehension of the situation.

LittleGreenSoldier wrote:
doran wrote:Anyway, in other news, we're famous people!
(Third post, first comment Rob makes on his own post)

I found his post a little rude and dismissive, myself.

0beron wrote:Really!? His post was actually DEFENDING you and your worthless little whining elitism. Sorry, you have lost all of whatever little respect I could have had for you, and made it abundantly clear you just WANT to be unhappy and cause problems.

Okay, let's calm down here guys. I'm pretty certain this is a case of tone not carrying in text. LGS read the comment one way, 0beron read it in another. I can actually see where both of you are coming from. Without the nonverbal clues and communication that the spoken word carries, those words written down could carry a number of different subtexts. Both of you have a point.

0beron wrote:Case and point, when the conversation with "everyone else in the thread" had turned civil and you were "educating" them on Loliwhatever, you turn the conversation BACK to a hostile/negative topic.
LittleGreenSoldier wrote:Fun fact for everyone else in the thread: A local magazine in my community once managed to piss off the local Lolita community, local Goth community, and the local Steampunk community in ONE article, when one of their correspondents took pictures of Lolitas (including me) and Goths at a local Gothic variety show, and labeled us all Steampunk.

Personally I found the story to be both funny and instructive. Funny in that it's somewhat humorous in that way that bad things happening to other people, and instructive that this isn't an isolated case, nor is this limited to a single subculture. I'm fairly certain she didn't say that just to be hostile. Again, this is a case of words without tone.

Let's all calm down. LGS, you're new here. We're normally a polite bunch (with notable exceptions). Your comments just happen to rub people the wrong way. Not your intent, I'm sure, but it happened anyway. Spilt milk at this point. 0beron, I think you are overreacting. I think you are seeing what you want to see and are taking a somewhat extreme approach to the situation. Normally you do great, but this particular case has more to do with personality than content, I believe. Let's not run the newbie off just because a thread took a wrong turn somewhere.

The way out of this is for everyone to just back off, take a few breaths and perhaps let this thread die. There are other things to discuss and tempers are running fairly high. Yeah, I'm not a mod, but I'm simply asking for cooler heads to prevail.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Well, at least one thing we can all agree on.

This is totally Goth:

Spoiler: show
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Housellama » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Well, at least one thing we can all agree on.

This is totally Goth:

I'd call you a troll, but I'm too busy laughing.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama

Postby LittleGreenSoldier » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Well, at least one thing we can all agree on.

This is totally Goth:

Pff, I lol'd. Rock on, aging hippie man. I hope I'm as happy with my life as he appears to be with his in as many years xD

Housellama wrote:Personally I found the story to be both funny and instructive. Funny in that it's somewhat humorous in that way that bad things happening to other people, and instructive that this isn't an isolated case, nor is this limited to a single subculture. I'm fairly certain she didn't say that just to be hostile. Again, this is a case of words without tone.

It is supposed to be funny. Certainly we in the local alternative fashion communities found it hilarious while it was happening, as it was the first time three groups had been involved in it all at the same time. We're all used to being mistaken for something else individually, but three in one go? That was priceless. I figured I'd post it, since the "Glue Some Gears On It" video was posted earlier in the thread. I hadn't seen that, by the way; I showed it to my Neo-Victorian boyfriend and he laughed so hard the cat hid in the linen closet.
Last edited by LittleGreenSoldier on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleGreenSoldier

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 pm

You're welcome.

Pity about the closet though.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Fair points Housellama. I'll just leave it be now, BLAND is right anyway, it must be weird to have to *berons agreeing haha!

(also died laughing from the hippie)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld