Summer Update - 018

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 018

Postby Binty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Stanley's plan to re-occupy FAQ seems to have been doomed. Even if Stanley had slipped past the ambush, Jillian could have lead the TV force directly to the City hexes. Foolamancy would have been an ineffective defence.
Binty

Postby DevilDan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Binty wrote:Stanley's plan to re-occupy FAQ seems to have been doomed. Even if Stanley had slipped past the ambush, Jillian could have lead the TV force directly to the City hexes. Foolamancy would have been an ineffective defence.

He couldn't know that Jillian was a former citizen of Faq; he had presumably left no survivors, making Faq a perfect bolt-hole. (I allow myself the mainly-UK term, based on your user name and your spelling of "defence.")
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 pm

DevilDan wrote:
Binty wrote:Stanley's plan to re-occupy FAQ seems to have been doomed. Even if Stanley had slipped past the ambush, Jillian could have lead the TV force directly to the City hexes. Foolamancy would have been an ineffective defence.

He couldn't know that Jillian was a former citizen of Faq; he had presumably left no survivors, making Faq a perfect bolt-hole. (I allow myself the mainly-UK term, based on your user name and your spelling of "defence.")

it's commonwealth english they could be an aussie.

and i didn't actually expect anyone to read my faq theory let alone spark a page and a half of conversation off it.

i stand by faq is fully operational and the carpudlians are foreshadowing that you can pay off an attacking army. it will further demoralise jillian when she eventually discovers the truth of what happened. but i'm willing to sacrifice strategy gameplay for dramatic events
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:37 pm

moose o death wrote:i stand by faq is fully operational and the carpudlians are foreshadowing that you can pay off an attacking army. it will further demoralise jillian when she eventually discovers the truth of what happened. but i'm willing to sacrifice strategy gameplay for dramatic events

It's no surprise that bribery works in Erf. After all, shmuckers talk.

If Faq stands, though, it would explain why its predictamancer isn't in GK's ranks... of course, a predictamancer would possibly know when to bug out to the cozier and safer Magic Kingdom... It still doesn't necessarily explain precisely why Jillian needed to be cut off.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Here a crazy little theory: Maybe Don wants to make her ruler of the capital and then order a heir. We know that the royal bloodlines split from time to time, and we know that a city ruled by a royal pops new royals from his or her bloodline. Maybe the bloodlines got weaker over time and Don tries to create a stronger heir by reunifying different bloodlines. Jillian would rule on a administrative level, and the Don would order the heir.
Or how else would you explain the level of sexual innuendo in this post? :?
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Binty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 am

DevilDan wrote:

He couldn't know that Jillian was a former citizen of Faq; he had presumably left no survivors, making Faq a perfect bolt-hole.

It seems like he didn't know, despite Wanda knowing and Jillian being captured a number of times. Seeing the ambush should have indicated that his plan was known however.
Binty

Postby HandofShadows » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:33 am

Binty wrote:It seems like he didn't know, despite Wanda knowing and Jillian being captured a number of times. Seeing the ambush should have indicated that his plan was known however.

Don't think Stanley will be able to figure that out. He bearly recognized Jillian as the barbarian they captured. Of course it's clear that Wanda was going to great lengths keeping Jilian real history quite and protect her from real danger where she could.
HandofShadows

Postby Binty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:39 am

HandofShadows wrote:
Binty wrote:It seems like he didn't know, despite Wanda knowing and Jillian being captured a number of times. Seeing the ambush should have indicated that his plan was known however.

Don't think Stanley will be able to figure that out. He bearly recognized Jillian as the barbarian they captured. Of course it's clear that Wanda was going to great lengths keeping Jilian real history quite and protect her from real danger where she could.

Sure, Stanley isn't the sharpest tool in the box. However, Jillian also called to Jake by name. This is how Stanley learnt Jake's name. A moment's thought would do it.
Binty

Postby KiltedNinja » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:49 am

Binty wrote:Sure, Stanley isn't the sharpest tool in the box. However, Jillian also called to Jake by name. This is how Stanley learnt Jake's name. A moment's thought would do it.

"A moment's thought"... This *is* Stanley we're talking about..? :D

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Here a crazy little theory: Maybe Don wants to make her ruler of the capital and then order a heir. We know that the royal bloodlines split from time to time, and we know that a city ruled by a royal pops new royals from his or her bloodline. Maybe the bloodlines got weaker over time and Don tries to create a stronger heir by reunifying different bloodlines. Jillian would rule on a administrative level, and the Don would order the heir.
Or how else would you explain the level of sexual innuendo in this post? :?

I was thinking something like this also, except I was thinking Don wants to make Jillian his heir - same way Stanely was nominated as an heir by Saline. Perhaps Ceasar suspects this (or outright knows) - and this is why he's so p'd off...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:57 am

if that were the case I'D be pissed off too. that would rank right up there with making a great white shark your dive buddy.

she' was seriously considering making the curtains a bathroom stall. i think bogroll was a better qualified royal.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Unclever title » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:03 am

KiltedNinja wrote:I was thinking Don wants to make Jillian his heir - same way Stanely was nominated as an heir by Saline. Perhaps Ceasar suspects this (or outright knows) - and this is why he's so p'd off...

Hmm... question here is how does that affect things... Could she be made an heir directly from Barbarian? Or would she have to switch sides (as opposed to a mere alliance)?

Let's say Jillian does reclaim Faq, for whatever reason, she becomes ruler, Queen of Faq. Now let's say she's also made heir to Don King, a potential future ruler of Transylvito. Now would tying that kind of political knot have more "strength" than an alliance? Would it need to?

This kinda seems like a political marriage between kingdoms...

Would that make Jillian on the side of Transylvito, Transylvito on the side of Faq, or would they combine as a new side altogether with an appropriate natural turn order and all that stuff associated with a side?

Maybe I'm traveling too far outside the box here... but if not this might be another advantage of being royal
(Though it's probably not excluded to non-royalty.)
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 am

I'm confused: Do we have any real reason to think that Don King wants anything from Jillian but her advice and assistance in taking on the dwagon-riding, arkenhammer-wielding, seemingly-invincible, unbalanced Stanley and his mysterious (former) chief warlord?
DevilDan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:30 am

DevilDan wrote:I'm confused: Do we have any real reason to think that Don King wants anything from Jillian but her advice and assistance in taking on the dwagon-riding, arkenhammer-wielding, seemingly-invincible, unbalanced Stanley and his mysterious (former) chief warlord?

Mainly the secretiveness of the whole affair. If he wanted only a mercenary, he just could have ordered Ceasar to hire her. Ceasar is the man out there and will lead the armies of TV when/if they attack Stanley. And why should Don talk to her privately without his chief military officer, and what is all that fuss about royal stuff?

Welf von Ehrwald

Postby DevilDan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Mainly the secretiveness of the whole affair. If he wanted only a mercenary, he just could have ordered Ceasar to hire her. Ceasar is the man out there and will lead the armies of TV when/if they attack Stanley. And why should Don talk to her privately without his chief military officer, and what is all that fuss about royal stuff?

I admit that it's a little suspicious. Certainly Transylvitians don't seem to have much time for the rigmarole and foofaraw of royalty and nobility, but what their own internal customs are is far different from how they would behave toward the royals and nobles of other nations, and particularly how they would behave toward an heir (one who can in short order become queen).

Don King is still king, and while he may not stand on ceremony he still has the "breeding and training" (though neither applies precisely here... call it the natural instincts) that would lead him to treat JIllian as her station would traditionally demand, assuming that he believes her story. In fact, now that the upstart Stanley has crushed the Royal Crown Coalition, royalty may become a slightly more important matter to the Don and to other royals.
DevilDan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Sorry, double-post
Last edited by Welf von Ehrwald on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:13 pm

DevilDan wrote:I admit that it's a little suspicious. Certainly Transylvitians don't seem to have much time for the rigmarole and foofaraw of royalty and nobility, but what their own internal customs are is far different from how they would behave toward the royals and nobles of other nations, and particularly how they would behave toward an heir (one who can in short order become queen).

Don King is still king, and while he may not stand on ceremony he still has the "breeding and training" (though neither applies precisely here... call it the natural instincts) that would lead him to treat JIllian as her station would traditionally demand, assuming that he believes her story. In fact, now that the upstart Stanley has crushed the Royal Crown Coalition, royalty may become a slightly more important matter to the Don and to other royals.

Probably true; maybe TV will change its attitude now faced with an real, non-royal threat. Perhaps this is the first time in known erf-history, that an non-royal beat a coalition of royals on that scale.
But I think these changes will be more unconscious and not so fast. And even if Don King decided to change it's attitude towards royalty, why did he embarrass Ceasar, one of the most powerful nobles/royals of his side, by not telling him what he plans with Jillian? A unit, he only suspects to be royal, and that constantly shows that she doesn't care about manners?
So many questions.[/quote]

Welf von Ehrwald

Postby SteveMB » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:And even if Don King decided to change it's attitude towards royalty, why did he embarrass Ceasar, one of the most powerful nobles/royals of his side, by not telling him what he plans with Jillian?

How do you know Don King didn't tell him? Maybe he did tell him, and he didn't like it.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm

SteveMB wrote:
Welf von Ehrwald wrote:And even if Don King decided to change it's attitude towards royalty, why did he embarrass Ceasar, one of the most powerful nobles/royals of his side, by not telling him what he plans with Jillian?

How do you know Don King didn't tell him? Maybe he did tell him, and he didn't like it.

In fact, if Caesar has a good mind at all, Don King would be likely to consult him on important decisions. I think he'd be almost certain to inform his chief warlord of such decisions.
DevilDan

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:10 pm

DevilDan wrote:
SteveMB wrote:

In fact, if Caesar has a good mind at all, Don King would be likely to consult him on important decisions. I think he'd be almost certain to inform his chief warlord of such decisions.

Yeah, I got the impression that Caesar was told, which was the whole point of him storming out like that, just before Jillian entered. I have no idea what's up. Either an alliance (which based on Caesar's attitude towards Jillian, he may not approve of) or it's some sort of fix, where Jillian is now disarmed and could be imprisoned if she refuses. Since Vinny said "you're going to wish it was the dungeons," I think it may be more like the former.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

DevilDan wrote:In fact, if Caesar has a good mind at all, Don King would be likely to consult him on important decisions. I think he'd be almost certain to inform his chief warlord of such decisions.

True, I reread it and could not found any hint that Caesar does not know what Don's intentions are. I interpreted his bad mood after the thinkagram as a sign that Don did not told him what he plans.

Welf von Ehrwald

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions