Summer Updates - 019

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 019

Postby balder » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

New Summer Update, now featuring grapes.
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 019

Postby Joe22c. » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:16 am

1st of all, 1st! :D

2nd: Dayumn! This looks good. I hate stories where the protagonist wins merely because his adversaries are incompetant. Don King and Charlie seem, by contrast, worthy foes and respectable, at the very least. The fact that Parson's enemies have depth and backstories is somewhat of a guarantee that they won't be killed off like flies.

Actually, with all the screentime awarded to Jillian and Vinny, I'd be most interested if the next chapter (chapter?) of Erfworld changes the perspective and Jillian becomes the new protagonist, and as a twist, Parson the new antagonist.
Joe22c.

Postby moose o death » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 am

i love when my speculations come true. i was preaching for ages no-one knows what happened at GK yet. but all humility aside... don has some bite to his cheery disposition. also TV has working toilets thus the aqua duct.

edit: which means tv will float fresh materials for new crap golems to replenish GK forces when the inevitable attack comes...the ultimate in biological warfare. either stockpile your own waste products or reinforce our assualt.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby BarGamer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:49 am

moose o death wrote:but all humility aside... don has some bite to his cheery disposition.

Don King's a vamp. OF COURSE he has bite! XD I liked how he pointed out that Jillian essentially failed to protect Faq, whileas Don King is the only faction who got hurt the least in the Battle for GK. (Militarily, not personally. Personally, Vinny lost a good friend, Jillian lost a lover, and TV lost any number of bats and maybe more in the skirmish at the Faq pass.)

No, seriously, where's the joke in Jitterati? I don't get the reference.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:55 am

the humility bit was a sarcastic self reference to my gloating. sorry about that
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 am

Hm,

"Faq had quite a variety of casters for its tiny size, and many of them used aspects of their discipline to aid Jack Snipe in keeping the kingdom's existence a secret."

That sounds like Faq had more than "just" 3 casters.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Frogpop » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 am

BarGamer wrote:No, seriously, where's the joke in Jitterati? I don't get the reference.

Not enough information yet. It looks like a spin on the Glitterati, but where the Jitter comes from.. whether they're a side full of 40's swing dancing jitterbug enthusiasts, or it's a side full of mod urban hipsters with a coffee/caffine/starbucks fixation, or whatever else.. too early to tell.
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:24 am

Finally somebody with real brains is looking at things pragmatically and cautiously.

I always assumed that no one knew exactly what had happened at GK, actually. After all, all that was said is that some unprecedented "trap" had croaked everyone.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Ichthus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 am

"Stanley kills everyone and reshapes the land as a result... News at 11"

The 'kills everyone' part is very impressive. The second, 'reshapes the land' part, is unheard of and would be a fairly scary concept for some Erfworlders. I'd wager that most factions would be cautious about trying to fight GK until they get some more information.
Ichthus

Postby Binty » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:24 am

Don's plan? Scouting mission would be my guess.
Binty

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:52 am

moose o death wrote:i love when my speculations come true. i was preaching for ages no-one knows what happened at GK yet.

Don claims they don't know, but he has to wave Bunny into silence. I think he knows a bit more than he's letting on. And he may not be just referring to the dirtmancy trap. He could be talking about current GK troop levels, current city defenses, Stanley's fate, etc.

The point about scouting is excellent, and something Jill is likely to excel at given her experience and fast mounts. That's a pretty good bet.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 am

gameboy1234 wrote:
moose o death wrote:i love when my speculations come true. i was preaching for ages no-one knows what happened at GK yet.

Don claims they don't know, but he has to wave Bunny into silence. I think he knows a bit more than he's letting on. And he may not be just referring to the dirtmancy trap. He could be talking about current GK troop levels, current city defenses, Stanley's fate, etc.

The point about scouting is excellent, and something Jill is likely to excel at given her experience and fast mounts. That's a pretty good bet.

fine then jump on my moment of glory. when i reread the update i noticed that as well. so i'm tending to agree with you there. not that they know more, but they do know something else. it may just be that don doesn't like bunny speaking to other people. seems like the type (abusive husband type)

i have a few other idea's about don's more private moments. and i think this character will shape up to be pretty unlikeable. more of a backstabber, all smiles upfront, but planning how he'll ambush you if you cross him.
moose o death

Postby joosy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:24 am

So the First thing Jillian and Vinny are forgetting/overlooking is "What happened at Gobwin Knob." ... and the Second?? Tune in next week folks for the thrilling conclusion!

Also in this update- hints that Transylvito may know more about what happened at GK but Don wants to hold off on that for dramatic or strategic effect. (I smell info from Charlie!) And that Stanley's disgust at Royals' airs, specifically Jetstone, appears to be justified. Jillian and Stanley are more alike than she would dare or care to admit in that regard.

AND.. they do have 'water closets'! I know that Rob and Jaime have created a 'game-like' world where mundane things like food and hygiene are assumed. Since cleansing happened at dawn, I figured that is why bathrooms/water closets weren't seen but I thought since food pops but they also eat/cook additional rations, they may bathe/freshen up on their own as well - and now we know they do! Thanks for that additional tidbit. (Note- Jillian was suprised to see one even though she was a royal. Maybe she has more in common with Bogroll (may he rest in pieces) in that aspect - HAH)

Jillian also remembers Jack, albeit sadly, is even more vengeful toward Stanley but.. alas, no mention of Wanda even in her thoughts. I look forward to the inevitable reunion of Jillian, Wanda and the new and 'improved' Ansom.

I also enjoyed the little Mafia/Godfather references (lead pipes, private booths, etc). I'm still waiting for someone to call Vinny their cousin though ;)

I am really enjoying these updates and wouldn't be too disappointed if Erfworld continued in this fashion (apologies to Jaime for his excellent artwork that gives me a very good mental reference).

I wonder if the previous Erfworld pages had such elaborate and detailed 'scripts' like this that Jaime worked from. I would pay to read them if they were.

Keep up the fantastic work, both of you!
Last edited by joosy on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:34 am

Oh you people.

Jitterati is an actual existing nickname.

It's a slightly pejorative nickname for parts of the digerati (digital literati), ie, the top dogs of the computer business and online world (IT gurus, Tech company executives, influential bloggers etc etc).
They're called "jitterati" (in particular dot.com boomers) because of the often nervous and caffeine-high jittery behavior.
Fiendishrabbit

Postby HandofShadows » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 am

joosy wrote:Jillian also remembers Jack, albeit sadly, is even more vengeful toward Stanley but.. alas, no mention of Wanda even in her thoughts. I look forward to the inevitable reunion of Jillian, Wanda and the new and 'improved' Ansom.

Might think that Wanda is dead. And I agree 100% the meeting of Wanda Ansome and Jillian will be highly interesting. :twisted:
HandofShadows

Postby DevilDan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 am

Actually, I interpreted Bunny "working hard" prior to being signaled to by the Don as either actively thinkagramming or as Bunny taking a peek into JIllian's mind.

Charlie would have slightly better information about what happened at GK, but he certainly wouldn't just give that information away. In fact, any info on the battle for GK, Stanley, and Hamster is probably—arkentool info aside—the most valuable info on Erf. I'm sure that the news of such a great upset under such singular circumstances have spread quickly.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby cservant » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:36 pm

So TV's the only known place, so far, with what seems like a working water closet?

Man is Parson gonna put this on his next place to take over, if he gets that.
Wait a minute...
cservant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby -D- » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:56 pm

This comic has been awesome. Keep up the great work guys :D

@DD: I'm willing that Charlie could be persuaded to give (some of) that info away, for a price.
-D-
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:34 pm

I suppose that it's appropriate that Erf's Roman analogues are the ones with plumbing.

moose o death wrote: it may just be that don doesn't like bunny speaking to other people. seems like the type (abusive husband type)

i have a few other idea's about don's more private moments. and i think this character will shape up to be pretty unlikeable. more of a backstabber, all smiles upfront, but planning how he'll ambush you if you cross him.

You can only trust any politician as far as your interests coincide. That realistic/cynic point aside, I find your characterization of his "type" surprising.
DevilDan

Postby SnowballMan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Well, Sizemore would be out of a job if they didn't have SOME form of accommodation. I'm sure the running water would be seen as a plus. (Wait, don't vampires have a problem with running water?)

Also, if that coffee table ever becomes an actual product I will buy one.
Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations.
SnowballMan

Next

Return to Reactions