Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 016

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 016

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:32 am

The only apparent threat was from the occasional errant kick of a fungusball

Could blindfolded un-croaked fire sling shots at "inanimate objects"? Same question for bows and javelins. Maybe something like a biathlon tournament but blind. It would not be efficient or fast but it should croak a few units.

Also shooting skeet (or equivalent). Arrows (bolts, javelins, sling bullets etc.) that actually hit the skeet would be useless but the rest would fly down range. Hitting a skeet that is flying perpendicular to the direction you are shooting is extremely difficult.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Lamech » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 pm

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:
The only apparent threat was from the occasional errant kick of a fungusball

Could blindfolded un-croaked fire sling shots at "inanimate objects"? Same question for bows and javelins. Maybe something like a biathlon tournament but blind. It would not be efficient or fast but it should croak a few units.

Also shooting skeet (or equivalent). Arrows (bolts, javelins, sling bullets etc.) that actually hit the skeet would be useless but the rest would fly down range. Hitting a skeet that is flying perpendicular to the direction you are shooting is extremely difficult.

Alright uncroaked attack the ground beneath the feat of the enemy forces! Damn it! Not a single hit on the ground the enemy forces kept on getting in the way.
Lamech

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Men, so weak against women in any universe.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Housellama » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Saw this one coming a mile away. (Rob still did a fantastic job with it. Doing the expected isn't a bad thing if it's done with style and finesse) Tommy's an innocent thug. A naive little child with big fists and a small brain. He fell in love with a worldly woman who used him for a good time. If he was a bit more mature, he might have been able to simply enjoy it and walk away. But he isn't. He's an inexperienced romantic. Now he's gonna respond the only way he knows how: by hurting people. He's going to strike out at her and anything that is connected to her.

A little Predictamancy here: They are going to catch Haffaton completely flatfooted and destroy their troops there. Wipe out everything because they are going to be totally unprepared for the assault. He'll leave Larry and Olive alive and say turn or die. Maybe he'll kill Larry, maybe he'll turn him, I dunno. But if Olive doesn't turn, Tommy is going to say Boop fate and try to kill her despite the Prediction. This is where Wanda will step in and stop him.

That's when things start to go badly for everyone.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby atalex » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm

I still remain intrigued and horrified by the implications of Hippiemancy. I thought Wanda came close to truth of the matter with her ruminations about love possibly being natural Hippiemancy. If that is true, then it's a short leap to deducing the existence of Hippiemancy love spells and then becoming suspicious when both you and your brother fall head over heels in love with the same Hippiemancer within a day of meeting her. i mean really -- I assume Tommy was not a virgin at this point. Have any of his past sexual partners abandoned all sense of Loyalty and Duty after a single night of passion with him? Does he really think he's that special?
atalex

Postby name lips » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:09 am

atalex wrote:I still remain intrigued and horrified by the implications of Hippiemancy. I thought Wanda came close to truth of the matter with her ruminations about love possibly being natural Hippiemancy. If that is true, then it's a short leap to deducing the existence of Hippiemancy love spells and then becoming suspicious when both you and your brother fall head over heels in love with the same Hippiemancer within a day of meeting her. i mean really -- I assume Tommy was not a virgin at this point. Have any of his past sexual partners abandoned all sense of Loyalty and Duty after a single night of passion with him? Does he really think he's that special?

It's possible he's never had "real" sex. Remember, a commander can simply command one of his troops to do whatever he wants. Maggie was somewhat astonished that Parson hadn't done this with the Archons, remember? She was confused, and assumed he must be celibate or something. Who wouldn't just command a desirable underling to have sex with you?

But now, for once, he might have been with a women with actual free will, who chose to be with him. Even if he is somewhat experienced, this could still be a first.

edit:

It just occurred to me how utterly strange love and sex must be in a world with no procreation. They only exist because the Titans decreed it would be so. Why do men and women have different parts? The Titans made them that way. There is no purpose for those body parts, and there is no purpose for the act itself. Wanda assumes love is a sort of magical disease, and who's to say she's wrong? In Erfworld, it's just another mechanic dreamed up by the Titans.
name lips

Postby Mrtyuh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:54 am

Saladman wrote:And yet, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I keep having to wait. So, good job building tension, anyway. The finished story will be good, but like the comic, I wish I had the discipline to wait and catch up.

I have to agree with you about the building tension. The problem with doing a prequel is that the readers know how it is going to end. A good author can still build tension and throw in some detours to keep it interesting. Lucas should be taking notes.

Peep wrote:Isn't Charlie a caster overlord?

We don't know. Charlie could be a Thinkamancer who Attuned to the Arkendish, like Wanda Attuning to the Arkenpliers. Charlie could be a normal ruler with no innate magic, like Stanley. Charlie could be something else entirely. There are many theories on the topic.

Orzel wrote:I think it's less "Caster can't be Rulers" and more "No one wants a Caster to be ruler". It seems most sides make their Chief Warlord heir because of the nature of casters.

Every side is different though. We do see that the Chief Warlord is usually the Heir-Designate. The Chief Warlord is also usually the highest-level Warlord. With Goodminton, though, Fritz was higher level than Tommy, but Tommy was Chief. When Faq's heir pops, it will replace Duncan as Chief, but I could certainly see a side keeping a high-level Warlord as Chief at least until an heir has time to level. Heirs and Chiefs are completely at the discretion of a Ruler. A caster is a commander-type unit. I find it highly possible that a caster can be heir. In fact, I strongly suspect that Wanda will be made Lord Firebaugh's heir before Goodminton falls. It is something a Ruler decides. Since every ruler is different, I'm sure that if it can happen, it has happened before.

mortissimus wrote:I don't think I have anything backing this up, but since Royal sides may pop Royal or Noble warlords, and as far as I know all Royal units we have seen where popped in the capital, I have assumed that when Royal sides order a commander to be popped it will be Royal if popped in the capital, and Noble otherwise.

But it could just as well be a choice as heir/non-heir is, and if so they may have the (probably rather worthless) option of popping a commoner commander.

In the print version of Book 1, it says Nobles are commander-class units popped by a Royal side in a city other than the capital. That would seem to make Royals commander-class units popped by a Royal side in the capital, so your belief seems accurate. I believe commander-class units include casters as well as warlords. I don't think they can choose the pop a commoner warlord, but they can always promote a unit in the capital to warlord.

Whispri wrote:There's no way to deliberately pop a Caster. It's rare for an heir to be designated from outside the family. And Overlords tend to get ganged up on.

Given the reason Slately gave for not popping Trathingy as 'an' heir here, multiple heirs is a good bet. Slately's family consists of the Royal Units he's popped, Overlord Firebaugh's family consists of Atomic Firebaugh and the Lady Wanda Firebaugh. Plenty of commanders unrelated to the boss in both sides.

It does seem that at that point, Jetstone had plenty of heirs, so there was no reason to spend the extra turns to make Tramennis an heir. Slately's failure to promote him later stemmed from his dim view of Tramennis's Signamancy. I think family sort of works like Royalty, but it has less actual meaning, and it is based more on personal choice. A commander-class unit popped in the capital is the Ruler's "family," if the Ruler wants. Since Royals place such importance on tracing their lineage back to those the Titans chose to rule, it is very important to them, so Kings and Queens always, or almost always, view Royals they pop as their children. On the other hand, it was 18 turns before Overlord Firebaugh acknowledged Lady Firebaugh as his daughter. Still, she did pop knowing her name was Lady Wanda Firebaugh. So, I would go with my earlier claim that family consists of commander-class units popped in the capital. The ruler, however, does not need to acknowledge it, and it may not mean anything to some rulers. To those Rulers that do care about family, they would still have non-family commanders. Those would be the units popped in other cities or promoted. Fritz probably is one of these.

mortissimus wrote:But if Casters can not be heirs, then a side can decide to have only warlords by popping them all as heirs. Though that appears expensive and stupid.

I'm not sure how stupid it would be. In fact, this seems to be the key to Jetstones success. They pop alot of Royal and Noble warlords. Slately has been King for over 3000 turns. Of those 3000 turns, he spent around 1380 turns producing Princes and Princesses at his capital. He may not have been the first king. So, Jetstone has been successful for a long time. Their warlords, being Royal and Noble, have higher stats and level faster than commoner warlords. A majority of the Royals seem to have been heirs. That was the Jetstone way of making war. They used huge masses of infantry bolstered by the leadership of, what I suspect was, a higher than usual proportion of warlords. It wasn't all they produced, but they produced many.

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:Could blindfolded un-croaked fire sling shots at "inanimate objects"? Same question for bows and javelins. Maybe something like a biathlon tournament but blind. It would not be efficient or fast but it should croak a few units.

I think any indirect attack could work: a Dirtamancer undermining the garrison, a fire-special unit burning the garrison, a siege unit attacking the garrison or a flying unit bombing the garrison.

Housellama wrote:Saw this one coming a mile away. (Rob still did a fantastic job with it. Doing the expected isn't a bad thing if it's done with style and finesse) Tommy's an innocent thug. A naive little child with big fists and a small brain. He fell in love with a worldly woman who used him for a good time. If he was a bit more mature, he might have been able to simply enjoy it and walk away. But he isn't. He's an inexperienced romantic. Now he's gonna respond the only way he knows how: by hurting people. He's going to strike out at her and anything that is connected to her.

Tommy stood up straight and looked at her, speechless. He shook his head, looking lost. "That's not fair..."

Olive looked over at Wanda. "Well, that's Life. And Life is definitely not fair."

This surprised me. It almost seems that Olive is taking Wanda's rejection the previous night personally. While she's certainly handling it better than Tommy, it does seem to be affecting her actions slightly.

A few other things I thought warranted mentioning....

She shook her head. "Why battle assembly, then?"

"Heh. Fritz is hung up on it," said Tommy. "He said we only have Olive's word that the spell will apply on their turn, so he doesn't want us to get jumped. Which, I guess is sensible enough. But I believe her."

I love Fritz. I thought of the possibility that Haffaton could exploit Olive's spell to catch Goodminton unstacked, although I thought in unlikely. I didn't doubt, though, that the spell would last through Haffaton's turn. I'm glad someone considered the possibility and took precautions.

Olive slumped, and looked down at the peace treaty on the table, shaking her head. Larry looked at Wanda and Tommy in turn. "What Prediction?"

If Atomic hadn't killed himself when he told Olive about the Prediction, this is probably the moment he slit his own throat. If Olive had not already informed her Ruler about what she'd learned, Larry's learning of it practically guaranteed the Ruler finding out. Once Haffaton's Ruler learned that Wanda was Fated to serve under Olive anyway, he probably decided it was easier to have Frenemy and Quisling end Goodminton and seize her. He may have also ordered Olive to assassinate any high-value Goodminton assets she could. If he felt betrayed by Olive keeping this from him, he may have felt she needed to prove her Loyalty.

Larry frowned. "Well, I'd...need to understand. To decide about turning." His voice was low and conspiratorial. He glanced at Wanda with a kind of desperate, hungry look in his eyes.

It seems Larry is the only one who gave any thought to turning. They should have focused their attention on him.

"No. I didn't," said Olive, but she would not quite meet his eyes. "Let's just keep our focus, here, all right? Goodminton needs this agreement, so I suggest you take full advantage of it."

This update and the one before made me reconsider my view on Olive. At first, I thought she was a very skilled manipulator. The fact that she actually seems to feel some regret here makes me think differently of her. I think she is very vivacious and she seduces naturally because that is who she is. I don't think she is nearly as calculating as I originally thought. So, like most units we've seen in Erfworld, she's basically a good person, but her Duty forces her at times to do not nice things.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh

The Malicious Titans Theory

Postby AndrewB1979 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:19 am

I sent 3 into the blog, but I can only remember 2 of them:

the ability to see the back of your head
the ability to transform scabs into beef jerky

scumonkey wrote:dont a lot of guys have that ability already?
AndrewB1979

Previous

Return to Reactions