Rise of Nations - Forum Game

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Rise of Nations - Forum Game

Postby LTDave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 am

I'd like to start another game, which I'll GM. It will be similar to the Matrix game I ran some months back, but more of it will be behind the scenes.
I'll GM. Players will send orders via PM, and I'll post results on the forum.
It'll be a lot more about diplomacy and empire building than micromanagement and individual units.

I'll come up with some fluff in a little while, and invite players to indicate their willingness to come on another patented LTDave adventure...

Last edited by LTDave on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LTDave

Re: Rise of Nations - Thinking / Recruiting

Postby LTDave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:10 am

Rise of Nations

The Great Kingdom of Guppington is moving on. Having conquered the Islands, Gyro III has decided to "prune" his lumbering Empire of extraneous cities and head for the mainland in search of fresh conquests, and maybe one of those Tools of the Titans we hear so much about these days.

The Various Cities have been cut loose from the Empire, with Guppington extracting hundreds of thousands of Smuckers along the way, disbanding units, upgrades, farms and mines. The Governors of the various Cities have been promoted to Overlords. Formerly allies, now the Overlords look jealousy at their neighbours. Each one is a threat. Each neighbour could so easily be conquered, or a conqueror...

Will your City survive the coming turns? Will you conquer the Island and become the next Great Empire, true heir to Gyro of Guppington?
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 am

Ruler's Name:

City Name:

City Location:
(The only possible locations are: coast, valley, hills. Resources will be distributed pseudorandomly and there are no real upsides or downsides to your choice other than location on the map.)

City Preferred National Colour:
City Flag / Livery: (image if possible)
City-state Information: (Although not mandatory, it would be ideal that you make this section quite long, as I will be using it to build your starting city-state)

Please indicate a preference between this list of options:
(i.e. pick one or the other - if you want, you can indicate stronglyone way or the other)

Production or Wealth
Subtle or Forthright
Royal or Non-Royal
Honourable or Scandalous
Militaristic or Peace Loving
Prefer Ranged or Melee units
Light Units or Heavy Units
A Few Elite Units or A Vast Horde
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 am

Ruler's Name: Snotkop Skabgut

City Name: Nobgrub

City Location: coast

City Preferred National Colour: Red cuz it goez FASTAR!

City Flag / Livery: A green claw on a red background.

City-state Information:
Nobgrub is a haphazardly built city that looks like a health and safety nightmare. Half of the city is over water and the other half is built into a great cliff. Farms dot the top of the cliff while mining operations commence deep below the earth. Nobgrub has a clan system where every clan has it's job. The FEEDAZ KLAN works the farms and mines the earth. The BUILDAN KLAN takes the material and forges weapons for the soldiers and the FIGHTAN KLAN well fights. The most prestigious clan is the FIGHTAN KLAN, probably because of the prodigious amount of wars happening.

This city used to be the military training center of the old empire, it's FIGHTAN KLAN's warrior pride being bent to the empire's will. Now with the emperor dead, Nobgrub is once again independent.

Production
Forthright
Non-Royal
Honorable
Militaristic
Prefer Melee units
Heavy Units
A Vast Horde
Last edited by The Colonel on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Colonel

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 am

Ruler's Name: Shalin, Scion of the Hills

City Name: Shalatar
Side Name: Shalum, Land of the God-King Shalin

City Location: Hills
(The only possible locations are: coast, valley, hills. Resources will be distributed pseudorandomly and there are no real upsides or downsides to your choice other than location on the map.)

City Preferred National Colour: Green
City Flag / Livery: Image
City-state Information:

At the dawn of time, the Titans blessed the earth itself of Shalum, hiding away inside a secret tomb Shalin, the Scion of the Hills. A battle two hundred turns ago cracked open the earth, and Shalin poured forth, slaying everyone on the battleground. He marched to Shalatar, once an action capital but now a measely level 1 city, and claimed it as his own. Raising the Lion Banner, he proclaimed his nation of Shalum to be born, and the lands around it to be his by birthright.

Shalum is a nation built for war. Every unit popped hopes to die in the service of the God-King Shalin. Their national weapons are the khospesh and the chariot. Unlike most sides, Shalum has a unique view on death. They believe units are repopped based on how they acted in a previous life. If they die gloriously in battle, they may become lords, but if they flee in disgrace, they will certainly return as twolls or lowly servitors. Shalin, being only recently brought into this world from stasis, is believed to be the only soul under its first iteration. Being a God-King, he is what they all strive to be.

Shalum's politics take on two distinct sides. Shalin is confident in his armies, and their ability to conquer the world if he wished it, but he also knows that many oppose him. He conserves his strength, using it where best suited, prefering diplomacy and subterfuge if they net the same results. He will join the battle if it comes, but he does not think of it as the only or first option.

Shalum's production centers mostly around grains and grazing lifestock. Their hills are well suited to goats and sheep. Shalin is looking to expand their metallurgy skills and make better weapons, but has had limited success.

Production
Subtle
Royal
Honourable
Militaristic
Melee units
Light Units
A Vast Horde
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby Harry1991 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Ruler's Name: King Cleon Autun I

City Name: Trantor

City Location: Coast

City Preferred National Colour: Gold/Black
City-state Information:

Trantor was the former administrative center of the old Empire, now it is a heap of drying stones. Sacked and pillaged for its wealth before being set free Trantor was left for dead. Little did the Empire expect that Trantor would survive.

The Trantorian's believe they are destined by the Titans for greatness. The rulers Autun dynasty placed themselves only one step down from the Titans themselves. Their armies wear a livery of gold and black, led by the men of the mighty talon guard - the right and left hand of the demi-titanic Autuns. The Grand Commdor Asper Argo (leader of the Guard) oversees daily affairs of state as the head of Cleon's chief warlord while Cleon occupies himself at the diplomatic table, leading from the front.

Preferences.

Production
Forthright
Royal
Honourable
Militaristic
Prefer Ranged
Light Units
A Few Elite Units
Harry1991

Postby Azgrut » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Ruler's Name: Qublai

City Name: Golmon

City Location: Valley

City Preferred National Colour: Beige
City Flag / Livery: A centaur wielding a great bow.
City-state Information: The Golmon barbarians were not among the other sides who started through the absence of Gyro III. It was very soon after, not more then 20 turns had past since the plundering of the city, that a great deal of barbarians popped in the area. These barbarians were led by Hisgeng, a powerful warlord with a rather large horde behind him. Once the warlord reached the gates of Quarterback (as was the name of the city then) they gave the ruling overlord two options. Either he would keep his gates closed and garrisoned his dozen or so remaining units on the walls, or he would open his gates. Choosing the first would ensure his death and that of his men. Opening the gate forced him to hire the barbarians and making Hisgeng Heir Apparent. Seeing the horde before his gates, the ruler had not much of a choice. The next turn the barbarians rebelled, taking the side as their own.

The side renamed itself the Golmon barbarians. Having no right to call their leader king, they called him Kahn instead. However, Kahn Hisgengs rule was short. Within twelve turns of his heir apparent being chosen, he croaked in a raid. Thus came the time of Kahn Qublai. The Golmon barbarians rely on hordes of mounted warriors, all with the archery ability. Their bows can not fire great distances but they fire fast, accurate and deadly. The Golmon barbarians have been known to work for other sides as mercenaries. They were, for instance, crucial in the battle again Gobwin Bumb a long, long time ago.

Production or Wealth
Subtle or Forthright
Royal or Non-Royal
Honourable or Scandalous
Azgrut

Postby Karadan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I'd be interested in joining as well if there is still room available. I've not played a game on here before. What rules and such are being used? I'll likely look through your other posts to see if I can figure that out while I decide on things about my side.

Ruler's Name: Lasura

City Name: Lazarus

City Location: hills

City Preferred National Colour:Sky Blue and Blood Red
City Flag / Livery: A sky blue field with a blood red infinity symbol.
City-state Information: Lazura (The side, not to be confused with Lasura, the current ruler) existed before Guppington, and now exists again after it has moved on. Lazura is realizes that victory is not obtained by conquring all the cities on Erf, but by continuing to exist. And so Lazura has existed constantly. Allowing itself to be absorbed by different sides when nessicary, only to be spit out again when the side grew large enough to split.

Thus Lazura bases itself not on warfare, but on diplomacy. It fights as it has to, keeping enemies at bay, and paying for allies, and providing allies for a price. Lazura is a mecurial side, and while their units can be a great boon on the battlefield, as well as some of the best scouts in the land, they come at a price. Not just to hire, but to prevent from being outbid at a crutial moment. Lazura is also a top provider of information, provided you pay more for the truth than another side paid for a lie. Dealing with Lazura is risky, but possibly vital, because if you don't, your enemies will do so unopposed....

Lazarus may be one of the oldest cities in the area, and is gifted by the Titans with a blood red pool in which its units are submerged to make them exceptional. But the pool demands sacrifices of shmuckers, or it will claim the submerged unit instead.

The city has been dug down into the hill, looking like a great quarry that had been converted into the city, and some say that is exactly what it was until the pool was discovered. Its buildings cling to the sides of the pit, and are built tall, with sharp angles. High walls surround the top of the pit, which are themselves at the top of a hill(or mountain), making hitting anything except the bottom of the pit with siege difficult at best.

Eight bridges connect from near the walls to join at a center point high above the city where a tower connects them, providing the city with its air defenses.

Lasura is a young ruler, only popped in recent turns to claim Lazarus, while the old ruler of Lazura remains with Guppington, perhaps preparing to start another Lazuraian side should Guppington grow again in new lands... or be defeated and attach to yet another side. While she is not Royal, she was popped to rule and lead, giving her a great thirst to prove herself. Perhaps driven to desire more than simple survival as her ancestors did. But will the Titans reward such ambition, or condem a side as old as Erf itself?

Production or Wealth
Subtle or Forthright
Royal or Non-Royal
Honourable or Scandalous
Last edited by Karadan on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karadan

Postby ETheBoyce » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Ruler's Name: Lord Obs Dien

City Name: Stoneheart

City Location: Hills

City Preferred National Colour: Grey/Gray
City-state Information: Stoneheart is a city built to keep out any would be invaders, it sits atop a hill and is surrounded by thick walls, those who wish to make war upon it will surely be pincushions before they even reach its walls. It is a city meant never to fall into enemy hands, no matter the cost. For this reason there are no tunnels under the city, for while there may be gems, the additional avenue of attack was deemed undesirable. If Stoneheart were to pop a caster they would hope for a shockamancer, but the Titans are well known for giving what is needed not what is wanted.

Lord Obs Dien is a man who takes few chances, preferring to take action only when necessary or when the odds of success are overwhelming. He does not believe overmuch in Fate, but he does believe he is tied to Stoneheart, he rarely leaves the city, and if it were ever to come under siege Lord Obs Dien would command the fight personally, and if it fell he would fall with it.

Stoneheart has a focus on units capable of archery because they have greater utility than melee troops, they can strike at both land and air units. This also makes the side very good at hunting for extra provisions, a fact that will come in handy as their forces grow.

Production
Forthright
Non-Royal
Honourable
Militaristic
Prefer Ranged
Heavy Units
A Few Elite Units
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Ok. Wow. Six sign ups in a few hours.

That's... remarkable.

I'm still working out the rules. Thanks for your enthusiasm. More details will come, but not everything will be known by the players. This is kind of a "Make it up as we go" game.

I have room for four more players max.
LTDave

Re: Rise of Nations - Recruiting - 4 more players max

Postby LTDave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 am

And here's a draft map including the first six nations:
The Number of Spires on the City markers indicates level.

I'm sending a PM to players of some initial information. Please let me know if you don't recieve it.

Each side has been given three unit types that I've designed based on your responses.
Combat will work like this: Attack Value + d6 - Target Defence Value = Hits Inflicted. If it's less than 1, it's 0.

Players will get the chance to create a new kind of unit (up to a max of 6 total) when they take other cities.

Units cannot leave a City unless led by Warlord.
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 am

What upgrades are there to cities?
The Colonel

Postby LTDave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 am

What ones would you like?

Players can pretty much do what they like - so if you want to build a giant mirror to reflect the sun and burn enemy ships to the water line, just tell your minions to go and do it.
Of course, it might cost a whole heap and not really work, but them's the breaks.

Anything which is easy to keep track of and not confuse my spreadsheet too much will be possible.
LTDave

Occasionally Asked Questions

Postby LTDave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:30 pm

-Will the rivers interfere with movement of non-flyer units, or are they just map decoration?

Rivers will only interfere with movement and combat in a narrative sense - so if you are trying to cross a river and there is an opposing Army on the other side, they will get some bonuses in combat.

-Are any sort of mancers available?

Yes, some mancers will become available as the game progresses. Not in the first few turns.

-May we send missives to other rulers?

Yes, absolutely. This game is going to be a lot about player interaction.

-Do cities have anti-air defenses via towers? - If so how do they recharge and how powerful are they typically?

Not specifically. If a player decides to build a special anti-air tower and sets aside funds and tells me what they hope it does, then yes.
Cities have defences equal to their level - so level 5 cities are going to be tough nuts to break. A City can hold units inside equal to it's level squared.
To breach the walls, you will need some kind of siege equipment, or assault on the spot. Units inside cities with unbreached walls will have a bonus to defence equal to the level of the city.

-Do I get ships?

If you want. You'll need a ship yard, and somewhere to gather wood, etc.

Everything you propose to build, etc, will need to be paid for. This is how I will measure the returns / effectiveness of the improvement. For example, you might say "build a farm", but unless you say how many smuckers you are willing to spend on building the farm, it won't happen.

Something else I'll mention here is diminishing marginal returns. You can expect that if you double the investment in a project you will recieve less than double the return or effectiveness. I don't want people sitting in corners building "ultimate towers of doom". Diminishing marginal returns will force players to expand and interact.

-What's the advantage of ranged and flyers?

Have you ever played the classic boardgame Shogun? aka Samurai Swords? If yes, then just like that. If not, then, well, still just like that. Each turn of Combat will have two phases - Ranged / Flying, and Melee. Ranged and Flying units on each side will attack first, simultaneously. Casualties will be removed. Then all the melee units will attack. I don't hold to this "I'm flying, so you can't hit me with that sword" nonsense. Everybody lands sometime. And then they get stabbed in the neck.
Your Warlords will conduct the actual battles, and get better at it as they level. You can set some general tactics for your Warlords (Target certain units, etc).
Ranged / Flying cost more than a similar melee unit.

And now a Question for the players:
Is the lack of rules incredibly frustrating? Or are you happy to do things by Socratic method?
My philosophy at this point is that a new ruler suddenly becoming an overlord would be a bit in the dark, so this is reflected in the absence of concrete rules. (That and I'm extremely lazy. We're talking stereotypical Australian lazy.)
LTDave

Postby tigerusthegreat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

What about our leaders, can they be warlords? Do they provide bonuses?

What about a chief warlord? Will they provide bonuses to any unit in the hex (or was it all units on the side, I don't recall what the comic rules were on that for some reason)

Also is income added before or after expenses? Just want to know if I can run a 0 treasury kingdom, or if I need to cover expenses before income comes in.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby Harry1991 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:03 pm

i like freeform roleplay. Main problem with it ive seen are GMs playing in the game and therefore making the 'rules' go in their favour.... but your not playing so thats not an issue
Harry1991

Postby ETheBoyce » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:22 pm

The only current question I have is, do flying units bypass Wall Defense?
ETheBoyce

Postby Karadan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Well, personally I tend to be a player like Parson who would try and poke holes in the rules and whatnot, so I do somewhat lament not having hard and fast rules to deal with, but I suppose like Parson I'll have to tease them out of the world around me. So, overall I don't mind not having very set rules. I thought I would, but I'm happy with the way things are set up. I know just enough to be able to set things up and plan, but don't have to worry about too much :)

@Tiger - They provide a bonus to their entire side, along with an extra bonus to units stacked with them (in addition to normal warlord stacking bonuses) in the comic. Edit: They -also- provide a bonus to units in the same hex, even if not stacked with them that is higher than just the side bonus. Vinny points this out when explaining how powerful bats become thanks to their side's chief warlord being in the battlehex when Stanley tries to fight them. Parson also points this out when discussing the power of Wanda's Decrypted when led by her -and- Prince Ansom, since all those bonuses stack to create virtually unstoppable troops.
Karadan

More Questions

Postby LTDave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 pm

- What about our leaders, can they be warlords? Do they provide bonuses?

Yes. And Yes. Based on their level.

- What about a chief warlord? Will they provide bonuses to any unit in the hex (or was it all units on the side, I don't recall what the comic rules were on that for some reason)

Mainly for fluff purposes.

- Also is income added before or after expenses? Just want to know if I can run a 0 treasury kingdom, or if I need to cover expenses before income comes in.

Uh, before. No, after. Er, simultaneously. I'm using excel, so it all happens at once. Including upkeep for new units, ie, you pay it the same turn they are made.

- The only current question I have is, do flying units bypass Wall Defense?

No. The defences of the cities assume the existence of flyers, so there are built in bomb shelters and chicken wire.
LTDave

Some Events For Turn One

Postby LTDave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 pm

I've received and returned four sets of orders for turn 1, and one set for turn 2.
Players will have 72 hours (60 left) to complete turn 1 before Karadan's Turn 2 orders are processed. If you miss a turn, too bad.

Some notable events so far:

Citizens of Malyt are alarmed by a flock of flyers high over the city...

Rumours abound in Kile of shadowy forces...

The ruler of Jaq has called for alklies to help resist the imperialist overtures of Shalatar...

And a battle occurs on the plains of Loka... (details at 11)
LTDave

Next

Return to Your Games