Auditions for the Erfworld Motion Comic Film

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Postby StarrFyre » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and my name is Crystal Smalling. I've been brought onto Team Erfworld as the Audio Coordinator for the upcoming Erfworld Motion Comic Film.

I'm posting here to let you all know that auditions are coming soon, and nearly all parts will be open to everyone. In the next few days, Rob will be posting on the site a submission form for auditions, as well as the guidelines, tips, and recommendations we've come up with. If you have any general questions, please feel free to post them here. If you have something more specific, you can send me a PM or you can email us at erfworldaudio@gmail.com. I'll also occasionally be in the chat room and able to answer questions.

Keep checking back here for more info!
StarrFyre

Re: Auditions for the Erfworld Motion Comic Film

Postby 0beron » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 pm

...Any news on this?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby StarrFyre » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 pm

As soon as we have an official start date, I'll let y'all know.
StarrFyre

Postby StarrFyre » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 am

Auditions have now begun and will be accepted now through April 20th. Please go to http://www.erfworld.com/voice-submission/ for more details.
StarrFyre

Postby TheMutant » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 am

Oh man. o_o I'm raring to audition for one of the main characters, but I dunno if I can manage the recording part. X) My roommate has offered to lend me his stuff, but I don't know the first thing about doing a professional recording, besides 'use a pop shield and make sure there's no ambient noise'.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby StarrFyre » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:37 am

TheMutant wrote:My roommate has offered to lend me his stuff, but I don't know the first thing about doing a professional recording, besides 'use a pop shield and make sure there's no ambient noise'.

The best thing to do is just go for it. Listen to your recording a few times before you actually submit it - I'd even recommend having your roommate listen to it and ask him if it sounds like something he'd hear in a film. Part of the 'professional recording' deal is that we'd like you to do your own editing, not have any 'ums' or 'uhs' in the dialogue (unless it's a part of it), and even do a couple extra takes if you'd like. You have until April 20, so you shouldn't worry about getting the recording in immediately.
StarrFyre

Postby name lips » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm

This is fascinating to me. I just realized, when I was looking through the parts, that I actually have a distinctive voice for each individual character in my mind. This is not the case for most other webcomics or novels. In my mind, I know what Sizemore sounds like, or Wanda, and how she's different from Jillian. I have a voice for Charlie (it sounds like it was run through a voice filter). I even have a voice in my imagination for smaller parts, like Ace Hardware.

I consider this a mark of the skill of the writers and artists. Each character is unique and interesting, and has their own feel. I really don't know how they accomplished that.

I really look forward to seeing how people interpret these roles. :)
name lips

Postby StarrFyre » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 am

Here are a few questions that I've gotten so far, just so they're available for folks at large and to prevent getting them too often:

→ When submitting multiple auditions, is a .zip file okay?
No. All auditions must be individually submitted through the submission form.

→ If we have multiple interpretations in mind for a character, how should that be submitted?
Please include them all in one single file with about 3-5 seconds between each set of lines.

→ Is "boop" a part of the dialogue, or a sound effect added later?
It is an actual part of the dialogue.

→ When auditioning for the ensemble, should all the lines be read the same way or differently for each?
Differently depending on the character that particular line is for (see the linked pages for each). Some ensemble actors may have more than one part that is only 1-3 lines.
StarrFyre

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:06 pm

just to make sure: are we supposed to read all the pages for characters that have more than one on the list?

also, can we really not get the slightest hint on how you want the characters to sound?
i mean just something so we don't get them totally wrong. (the voice you chose for ansom in the kickstarter video was a whole lot deeper than i had imagined him, for example.)
Finn MacCool

Postby StarrFyre » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:17 pm

For the first question, yes.

For the second, email me about which characters you're interested in and I'll see what I can do. Erfworldaudio@gmail.com .
StarrFyre

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:26 pm

wouldn't it be fairer to post this information in public and for all characters or none? (besides, i'm interested in about half the main cast. so that might be a little too much work to spend on a single person.)
Finn MacCool

Postby StarrFyre » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 pm

In general we have a basic idea of the types of voices we're looking for on each character, but we'd still like to hear people's various interpretations. It's possible that someone's interpretation may be different from what we had in mind, but ends up fitting perfectly. We don't want to discourage freedom of interpretation, but will answer specific questions via email if folks are stuck.
StarrFyre

Postby StarrFyre » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Less than one week left to get your auditions in! Remember, these are for paid parts! Tell everyone you know - and no resume or previous experience is required.
StarrFyre

Postby A.B.C. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Quick question: how much of a detriment is the lack of a good pop filter? I just made one at home that turns out to be incredibly bad at doing its job, and I don't think I'll be able to buy/order a high quality one before the audition deadline. Will I still be able to get a part if the sound quality isn't that good, or am I just disqualified right off the bat...? Thanks in advance!
A.B.C.

Postby StarrFyre » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 pm

You can still send in your audition, but if the sound quality is poor, than the audition will be disqualified. Aside from the voices for the parts themselves, sound quality is the most important element we're looking for.
StarrFyre

Postby arenson9 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Submitted my auditions today. Very excited. Curious how many auditions you're getting and if there are any parts that no one has submitted for.
arenson9

Postby StarrFyre » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 pm

So far I've gotten about 250 auditions (not 250 people, just auditions)- more male than female - though I'm hoping for a lot more through the 20th. All parts have at least a few people auditioning for them so far.
StarrFyre

Postby arenson9 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 am

Thanks for the info. Crossing my fingers.
arenson9

Postby Zamoody » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I submitted my auditions last night, just wanted to say thanks for allowing the readers to audition, always wanted to do something like this and your open audition was a good kick in the pants to get my home studio set up.

Edit: And if I get tapped I got my wife to let me buy a blue yeti mic :)

Yes... I'm whipped...
Zamoody

Postby Drahken » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Well I got about half of my submissions in within an hour after midnight last night, so I hope the midnight cutoff wasn't TOO strict. :?
Drahken
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld