Space Based Tabletop Wargame

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Space Based Tabletop Wargame

Postby turbler » Mon May 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Y'know... we could probably run games on here. I mean, a lot of the Erf-style Wargames make a hex map and just run the game, so we could, too.
Anyone up for it?
turbler

Postby The Colonel » Tue May 29, 2012 4:12 am

Sure, but I just can't do it. Like I said, I am waiting for the test bed, until then, I'm depending on independent playtesting.
The Colonel

Postby turbler » Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 pm

That's fine, the rules are relatively simple, and the only thing logistics wise that we'd need to work out is how to roll dice (I'm okay with honor system, personally, but I'm not sure what everyone else would think), since there's no hidden information, we don't even need a GM, just a few players (and we've already got me as one).
turbler

Postby waylon531 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:08 pm

You could also add acceleration. Lets say a ship has 4 move and 2 acceleration. The first turn it starts moving, it could move two hexes. Then the next turn, it could move 4 hexes. It could also only decelerate by 2 hexes each time, so if it was moving full speed it would take two turns to stop. This could make weapons that take time to travel through hexes work. Another thing is to add a maneuverability rating from 1 to 12, this over 4 would be how many times the ship could turn each round.
waylon531

Postby turbler » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:17 pm

waylon531 wrote:You could also add acceleration. Lets say a ship has 4 move and 2 acceleration. The first turn it starts moving, it could move two hexes. Then the next turn, it could move 4 hexes. It could also only decelerate by 2 hexes each time, so if it was moving full speed it would take two turns to stop. This could make weapons that take time to travel through hexes work. Another thing is to add a maneuverability rating from 1 to 12, this over 4 would be how many times the ship could turn each round.

It feels kind of clunky... (particularly in the smaller games), but I guess it might work.
Would you, perhaps, like to test out the game, Waylon?
turbler

Postby The Colonel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:44 am

that could work, but i removed the weapon speed thing, too much paperwork.

EDIT SO acceleration

Acceleration

Acceleration is how fast can a ship get up to maximum speed. This stat is priced at one to one ratio. basically, it cost three points to buy three points of acceleration. Acceleration starts at one. Acceleration cannot be higher than your speed.

eer, HELP, I CAN'T DESCRIBE THE EFFECTS OF ACCELERATION, HELP!
The Colonel

Postby turbler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Honestly, now that I've given it some thought, it seems like acceleration could be a lot of paperwork, for a large fleet.
Or at least, it is if I'm interpreting it correctly.
Here's how I'm interpreting the Acceleration rules at the moment.
Acceleration: Cost, X points.
When moving, a unit may only move N hexes, where |N-M|<=X, and M is the number of hexes the unit moved on its last turn. (If a unit hasn't moved on its last turn, M=0, for example.)
turbler

Postby waylon531 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 pm

There is no reason for acceleration without weapons that take multiple turns to travel, but it could be that a ship is moving faster is harder to hit.
waylon531

Postby waylon531 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm

I tried it out. lasers are really overpowered when you combine fire with multiple of them. If you have a ship with two 1d6 lasers firing at a ship with 100 armour, it will do an average of 143.5 damage. You can fit two or more lasers on a small ship, making it very easy for smaller ships to kill larger ships. The more armour a ship has, the easier it is to kill. The broadsides should be able two fire at any targets between and in the four lines extending from the sides. I attached a picture showing which squares a ship with 8 range and broadsides should be able to fire at. What does "fires at hexes" and "fires at ships" mean? In the descriptions of the weapons it looks like missiles affect hexes and the other weapons don't.
Attachments
Broadsides.png
Broadsides.png (36.76 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Last edited by waylon531 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waylon531

Postby The Colonel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:59 am

waylon531 wrote:I tried it out. lasers are really overpowered when you combine fire with multiple of them. If you have a small ship with two lasers on it, it can kill a huge ship with 100 armor in two turns. The broadsides should be able two fire at any targets between and in the four lines extending from the sides.

I DE-MAND E-LA-BO-RA-TION! E-LA-BO-RATE! E-LA-BO-RATE!
The Colonel

Postby waylon531 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:32 pm

I edited my post above
waylon531

Postby The Colonel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:00 am

That was what I was trying to say, HELP I CAN'T DESCRIBE IT!

And that was a relic from the early days where I thought that tracking hundreds of projectiles was going to be easy. Missiles could track back then.
The Colonel

Postby turbler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 am

Maybe... have it so that any ship hit by at least one laser in a round loses some (partially randomized) percentage of their armour for the turn? (Best way I could think of for the laser bonus to be good, but also not stack and be very overpowered that way.)
turbler

Postby 0beron » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:07 am

I'm just starting to read over these rules and already something confuses me. When you talk about the point values of varying fleet sizes, does this refer to the sum of the HULL prices, or the sum of hull prices PLUS the customization points each ship has?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

Refers to all the points you have to buy the Hull and customize it.
The Colonel

Postby 0beron » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 am

Then I think your fleet size limits need to increase, because a Gigantic Ship is worth 1500 total points...which is 3/4 the value of a Battlegroup.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:56 am

Exactly, you want a FRIGGING DEATH STAR! It should be impractical outside of special situations.
The Colonel

Postby bob the 6th » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:02 pm

yeah, played around with the idea on Gittp, and gigantic get silly fast... definitely worth most of a battle group.

I would need to reread the rules, but then I would be happy to play someone. honor system is fine by me, or we could run it in Gittp(In built roller, part of a sub forum)
bob the 6th

Postby turbler » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 pm

I'd like to play. You can decide on map size, fleet size, and venue.
turbler

Postby CroverusRaven » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

This looks like fun.
CroverusRaven

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games