Book 2 – Page 75

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 75

Postby Zeku » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 am

Massively overthinking this one.

Decryption, and a massive loyalty bonus to the user are pretty clearly one-time events that the tool generates at creation, and can then no longer influence. We know this because Ossomer grew restless, even in the presence of the pliers.

The only un-answered question is whether there is a permanent loyalty effect (a minimum loyalty score) when the tool is in the same area of the decrypted it creates.

If not, the wielder of the pliers would have to watch loyalty carefully, and use the pliers instant-kill ability to destroy any decrypted that are wavering.

Either way, it's still better or at least equal to the hammer.
Zeku

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:26 am

Zeku wrote:Massively overthinking this one.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:{Ossomer} just became the New, New messiah of Erfworld. A decrypted unit that's independent of Wanda and- as yet unknown, but plausible to assume that he is- upkeep free.

Nah. Running with the assumption scissors for a bit, if Ossomer were upkeep free, one can imagine Jetstone thinking of capturing Wanda and starting an austerity plan of mass decryptions.

Tough economic times, you know. Recession going on, massive loans taken from left and right, word has it it needs to sell cities to pay off debts, there are talks of excluding Jetstone from the Royal Zone, riots in the streets over reduced rations ... times are tough.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ashamam » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

Perhaps someone could help me out here... I thought Artemis died to an arrow in the Garrison... How is she fighting and leading the archers on the wall now?
Ashamam
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am

She is just that badass.

Spoiler: show
Well, she isn't leading. The text update was before she left to take three shots at Sylvia.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Nah. Running with the assumption scissors for a bit, if Ossomer were upkeep free, one can imagine Jetstone thinking of capturing Wanda and starting an austerity plan of mass decryptions.

Tough economic times, you know. Recession going on, massive loans taken from left and right, word has it it needs to sell cities to pay off debts, there are talks of excluding Jetstone from the Royal Zone, riots in the streets over reduced rations ... times are tough.
I could be wrong, but I think that Slately would rather his side went down in ruins than be a side which actively used a croakamancer and decryption. This is a holy war, after all. He's not so fond of Ossomer any more, but Ossomer's turning was more fortuitous than planned.

To all those confused: A lot of time has passed. You may want to re-read the prior 20 or so strips in this story arc. Ossomer was killed and decrypted. He then had a crisis of faith (for lack of a better term) and turned back to Jetstone. When he did, his raiment changed back to the Jetstone radish. No other decrypted units have so changed their raiment, so there's no need for speculation as to the the mass defection of the ranks of the decrypted from GK.

We need Parson to arrive...
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Atomic » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Oberon wrote:We need Parson to arrive...

The biggest question is, can he?

It's obvious that, after Jack entered into the Magic Kingdom with some Foolamancy, the portal was still open. But that was a few strips ago, and the tower has since (mostly) fallen. Does the entire thing need to crumble before the portal closes, or will the portal remain open as long as the base of the tower still stands? On top of that, we have no idea how much time has passed. Is the trip in the Magic Kingdom even running in the same "time" that the battle of Spacerock is? As always, we're left with more questions than answers.
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm

At least we're back to getting strips and working on those answers. I'm wondering since the ruler is leaving and the tower fell what effect this has on the city and side of jetstone in general?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby technojunkie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Atomic wrote:

The biggest question is, can he?...

That is a pretty compelling question. Let's analyze the Good Lord Hamster's stack...
Himself (leadership bonus unknown)
Sizemore (Dirtamancy, presumably still has some juice)
Janis (Hippiemancy, presumably still has juice)
Marie (Predictamancy, presumably still has juice)
Jack (Foolamancy, presumed out of juice)
Wanda (Croakamancy, presumably still has full capacity)

Plus additional predictamancers inbound.

Parson has a lot at his disposal but is up against 7 thinkamancers. He can attempt to threaten his way through... "someone WILL die, and that someone WILL be uncroaked. How's your luckmancy punks?" He could just plain fight his way through, though that may be bloody. Or he could take his toys and go home.
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Saladman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm

technojunkie wrote:Jack (Foolamancy, presumed out of juice)

Rather, claims to be out of juice. Speaking in character, in front of potential enemies. As a professional Foolamancer, a master of misdirection, and a student of Parson's school of war, I presume he's got something remaining.
Saladman
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby technojunkie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:15 pm

A valid point. Which is why I said presumed. Don't cont on assets unless you know without a doubt that you have them.
technojunkie

Postby vintermann » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Saladman wrote: some kind of backlash to Wanda from Ossomer breaking control.

From what we know of magic in Erfworld, having a spell unravel on you will carry a backlash, potentially a deadly one (judging from the breaking casters' links, which I assume is basically the same thing). Wanda was incapacitated for quite a while after her domination spell over the wack from Faq broke. The last pictures we have of Wanda she seems a bit in shock.

The question is, has the spell unraveled? After all, Ossomer's still decrypted, he's just not a Gobwin Knob unit any longer. Besides, the spell arguably came from the pliers themselves, not Wanda. It could be that the shock on her face is merely from the realization that Ossomer turned.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Atomic wrote:

The biggest question is, can he?

It's obvious that, after Jack entered into the Magic Kingdom with some Foolamancy, the portal was still open. But that was a few strips ago, and the tower has since (mostly) fallen. Does the entire thing need to crumble before the portal closes, or will the portal remain open as long as the base of the tower still stands? On top of that, we have no idea how much time has passed. Is the trip in the Magic Kingdom even running in the same "time" that the battle of Spacerock is? As always, we're left with more questions than answers.

Gobwin Knob's portal was open after the tower had fallen. Of course, it only leads to Jetstones capital, so if Slatley realises it (or rather someone convinces him, perhaps by way of a message from a MK faction) changing the capital to their old capital would direct the portal there.
mortissimus

Postby Turtlewing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:32 pm

The concern over the fall of the tower closing the portal was related to the assumption that Jetstone would end as a side (making the city no longer a capital) when Slately fell to his death as the tower collapsed. Since he can fly now, and they again have Ossamer as heir, that is no longer a concern.
Turtlewing
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Turtlewing wrote:...they again have Ossamer as heir...
The comic doesn't state it one way or another, but I'm willing to bet that they don't. I think Oss lost his 'heir' status when he died, and they'd have to pay the price to promote him again (which I don't think Slately will do - he'll promote Tram instead).
MarbitChow

Postby Gorky » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:Interesting seeing the archon's panties.

Fixed :)
Gorky

Postby Lamech » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:58 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Turtlewing wrote:...they again have Ossamer as heir...
The comic doesn't state it one way or another, but I'm willing to bet that they don't. I think Oss lost his 'heir' status when he died, and they'd have to pay the price to promote him again (which I don't think Slately will do - he'll promote Tram instead).

Also note that if decrypted DO keep heir status, guess who else is still alive? Ansom.
Lamech

Postby davesnothere » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 am

Well ignoring the fracass in the MK, if the portal is still open, Sizemore would be able to handle any "rubble" in the way.
davesnothere
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby The Pink Warlord » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:49 am

Sooooooo...

Is Sylvia now in command of the forces in the city hex?

She should be the highest ranked warlord we know of unless one of the ones Wanda rezzed this turn is of a greater level.
The Pink Warlord

Postby Infidel » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:37 am

aalllllll Right. Erf is back. Something great to see when I get back from the sea :P

I find it interesting that Ossomer starts giving orders immediately, without any backlash. "I'm not taking orders from a turncoat." or anything like that.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:48 am

Infidel wrote:"I'm not taking orders from a turncoat." or anything like that.

Not even a turncoat. An unholy abomination, a Thing That Should Not Be.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions