Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame Take 3 - Recruitment

Postby Kaed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 pm

-ERRATA-

Exate wrote:I thought that we were supposed to make one of every unit type listed, so I did. Anyway, given that there are plenty of real-world locations where the desert is right next to the ocean (the Sahara comes to mind), and that there are some famous One Thousand and One Nights tales involving the sea- Sinbad, for example- it doesn't seem to clash with my flavor to me. And yes, I would like to make one of my ship units a marid, a powerful aquatic type of jinn. It seemed to fit the flavor of the side better than another fairly generic ship type, and I don't really see any reason why the only seafaring units would be ships anyway- there's precedent in a recent text update that there are normal water-capable units as well.

Okay okay fair enough. I guess I’m just used to the previous people ignoring ships mostly because they weren’t interested in sea stuff. It’s fine that you put them.

Exate wrote:Oh, I'm definitely not looking for long-term predictions through the knights. The flavor behind their abilities in Dune is a sort of mind-over-matter deal powered by believing that what they want has already happened and then reflexively taking the most efficient path to making their belief reality.

I would interpret this in Erfworld terms as sensing and then following the flow of Fate to the desired result. The net result would be similar to some scenes in the Sherlock Holmes movies with his "predict how to win and then do it" sequences. Other potential applications are realizing that going into battle would be a poor idea, maybe sensing ambushes early enough to avoid being surprised, and so forth; nothing which gets too abstract or affects things at a remove from themselves. While the rules as written break this down into "limited mancy, 30 juice and cast spells" personally I'd like to flavor things more as a constantly running strong sense of their personal Fate that they can take advantage of than actual casting.

That would be unusual to run, but I think I can work with it. The problem is in Erfworld Predictamancy is not as awesome as Spice-induced precognition or Bene Gesserit trickery (it kills only animals). So I will do my best to think of a way to work with that for now.

Exate wrote:Well, there are two other existing abilities that grant some form of stealth to compare against: Simple Foolamancy and Burrowing. This is obviously much less powerful than a full simple foolamancy since it's far less flexible and personal-only. As described here it's significantly weaker in stealth terms than Burrowing, which at four points provides not only concealment but also significant protection and movement bonuses. Given that this can't be used while moving, it takes an entire turn to activate, and there is still a chance for other units to blow the veil and see them I can't say this is worth more than two points. At three it would need a significant power boost to measure up.

To be clear, I'd like to apply this to the Jinn, Ifrit, and Marid units since they're the three jinn unit types. This doesn't map strictly into the unit build guidelines; is it permissible or are you inclined to nix it on grounds of unit restrictions?

Yeah... that’s something that is bugging me. I didn’t put burrowing in, that was an addition of whoever made those rules. Basically, the way I see it is this – Borrowing is basically weak dirtmamancy. Sizemore can do it through his magic, therefore that behavior falls under that particular area of magic. However, it is also basically flying, only using the ground instead of the air. When I went off Stealth I was going by something we’ve already seen in-setting: the scout unit Wanda croaked who was hiding behind a magic item producing a veil. It was implied he needed to be stationary for that to work, too. I think I may need to revamp burrowing, because even Veils have a chance to be spotted. Why would burrowing be undetectable? I'm thinking there would be a sound able to be heard, or even better a mound of earth moving along. Nothing says they by default should be able to be invisible. As it is you're already getting a free ability to ignore terrain penalties. Thus… I think I will revamp Burrowing now. Your units are no longer invisible while burrowed --UNLESS THEY ARE NOT MOVING, at which point they are considered veiled-- due to either noise or the aforementioned mound of moving earth, but you still are outside of combat range until you come up. It is also now a 3-point ability. So, to summarize – you get to move freely on non-water hexes, and avoid attacks, and a weak sort of veil. That’s not bad, it has some advantages over flying and some weaknesses compared to it.
Last edited by Kaed on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 pm

-ERRATA-

Exate wrote:Side comments on Fabrication

Yeah I’m pretty much completely redoing that right now, whoever made that went off on a tangent about what it can do. It’s getting a hard nerf right now, as follows:

Fabrication has been shown to be a natural form of Dollamancy. Basically, NON-MAGICAL objects may be created from scratch, or PIECES of EXISTING magical items may be assembled, just like our friend Bogroll did with Parson’s Sword.

What this means mechanically – Units with fabrication may create Nice Things for your units. What is a Nice Thing? It is a sweet new set of armor or a groovy new sword, or any other myriad of things. Here are some examples:

Sweet Weapons: These weapons are pretty groovy. They look awesome and they’re extra sharp. Infantry and Warlord units wielding them receive a +1 to their attack (+2 if a Warlord). Sweet Bows are also possible. Sweet Weapons can also be made for other units, but Special A/B Units cost twice as much material to equip, Special C thrice the materials, and Special D FOUR times as much, but they also receive a bonus comparatively higher.

Awesome Armor: Much like weapons, this armor is extra cool and well made. Units wearing them receive +1(+2 for warlord) to their defense. Bigger units factor in the same way with increased costs and gains.

Kickin’ Kicks: This footwear is just fabulous. Lightweight and comfy, GROUND units of the infantry or warlord class may wear them. These items involve only the choicest materials and cost twice as much to make, but they grant +2 move to the lucky fellow or lady wearing them.

Delicious Sandwich: This sandwich is thick and enormous, stuffed with everything that does a body good. Any infantry unit or warlord eating this monster meal will be fortified for ONE turn, gaining a +4(+6) bonus to their health. This is not stackable, you may not eat five sandwiches to turn into the Juggernaut. There is good news for you tactical snackers, though – A Delicious Sandwich can be wrapped and saved for later, but it is no longer very tasty after FIVE turns, and goes away then. A Scrumptious Feast may also be provided for larger units with the same scaling mechanic as armor and weapons, but Feasts are too big to be carried away and must be eaten on the spot, for they disappear next turn.

All Fabrication requires ‘units’ of Loose Materials. Loose Materials can be found in the Larder or Armory or other places in any city. However, a city has a cap of ‘units’ of Loose Material equal to its current level, which is replenished at the start of each turn. This means that a level 1 city may make ONE infantry/warlord Weapon/Armor/Sandwich per turn. Fortunately, Weapons and Armor can be fashioned over multiple turns if you lack sufficient Loose Materials in a turn. Boots and Meals, however, must have all their materials present on creation.

Fabrication MAY be used on the field, but Loose Materials do not pop naturally outside of cities. A caster such as a Hat Magician is required to conjure material for Weapons, Armor, and Boots. Meal materials, however, may be easily obtained by croaking one of your own units with the Fabrication-possessing unit, which replaces the usual free upkeep costs with Larder Stock.

Other stuff can theoretically be made. Talk to me in game about it.
Last edited by Kaed on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:35 pm

HerbieRai wrote:I'll make a suggestion to possbily lighten the load.

Scouting: Make it be a pre-turn reveal of the map instead of 1 hex around the scouts location that gets updated when it moves. Currently, when someone wants to scout they have to first get a map from you, then say where they are sending the scouts, then wait for you to send a revealed map. If instead you say "scouts see X hexes around them at the start of the turn", that that elminates this back and forth and should speed the game up by a few kph (or mph)

Another option is to only allow cities to be built on city site hexes. This would give the GM control over how many cities could exist in the game and where.

I like the city site thing, but I don't understand your scouting idea...
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:07 am

Kaed wrote:
HerbieRai wrote:I'll make a suggestion to possbily lighten the load.

Scouting: Make it be a pre-turn reveal of the map instead of 1 hex around the scouts location that gets updated when it moves. Currently, when someone wants to scout they have to first get a map from you, then say where they are sending the scouts, then wait for you to send a revealed map. If instead you say "scouts see X hexes around them at the start of the turn", that that elminates this back and forth and should speed the game up by a few kph (or mph)

Another option is to only allow cities to be built on city site hexes. This would give the GM control over how many cities could exist in the game and where.

I like the city site thing, but I don't understand your scouting idea...

The idea is to do an "auto-scout" thing like LtDave proposed in one of the later tBfGKs and I tried out in TAW Chapter 2. It's actually pretty simple - just have certain units/cities act as "scouts" that automatically lift the fog of war from all hexes within their "scouting radius" at the beginning of the turn.

Here's an example:Image

The flyer group in the center has a massive scouting range of like 10 hexes or so; it thus reveals a huge area. However, a significant fraction is blocked by the mountains. The city of Xenia in the southwest makes up for a fraction though, and so does Feria (though it too is blocked by mountains). Note the significant enemy forces in the south (red).

By doing this, you can eliminate the turn-around between serving a map, asking for scout orders, processing them, and then serving the scoutign results. Instead, you just serve the pre-scouted map and go straight to movement/combat. In this example, the golden infantry unit could immediately engage the red units.
WaterMonkey314

Postby The Colonel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:04 am

So Mr K, do you have anything to say about my side?
The Colonel

Postby Kaed » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 am

WaterMonkey314 wrote:The idea is to do an "auto-scout" thing like LtDave proposed in one of the later tBfGKs and I tried out in TAW Chapter 2. It's actually pretty simple - just have certain units/cities act as "scouts"

eh... That not only does not sound more easy, but it isn't how scouts work in erfworld. Thanks but I'll manage.

And, colonel and nihila. I apologise that I didn't get to your side yet, I was heavily distracted by the fabrication revamp. But as I said yesterday I'm out and about a lot and my phone hates spoiler tags. Take them off and I'll give a look. Otherwise later today.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 am

It's hard to tell, but if there is still a slot available I would like to jump in.

Side: Morlock Wells
Mountain-based side, thematic focus on technology/fabrication (steampunk kind of look)

I am at work, so I won't be able to post unit stats and the like until this evening, assuming there is still a spot. Let me know :)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:38 am

0beron wrote:It's hard to tell, but if there is still a slot available I would like to jump in.
</br>
</br>Side: Morlock Wells
</br>Mountain-based side, thematic focus on technology/fabrication (steampunk kind of look)
</br>
</br>I am at work, so I won't be able to post unit stats and the like until this evening, assuming there is still a spot. Let me know :)

hmm... I can give you a spot only if you can find someone to help manage the session with me.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 am

Oh that's fine. I'll keep my eye on the thread to see if an assistant GM shows up, but otherwise I'll just wait for another game to crop up :p (I wouldn't really know who to look for, since I've been out of touch from the forums for a bit and don't know who is gaming right now anyway haha)
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 pm

0beron wrote:Oh that's fine. I'll keep my eye on the thread to see if an assistant GM shows up, but otherwise I'll just wait for another game to crop up :p (I wouldn't really know who to look for, since I've been out of touch from the forums for a bit and don't know who is gaming right now anyway haha)

Yeah sorry man... I said three people and while I'd love to take you on I know at some point down the line I will hate myself for increasing the workload even more. The first game ended because I burned myself out and I don't want that to happen again.

Now, the other two sides:

-The_Colonel: Your side... well. Wow. I can find nothing wrong with it. It's a little bland compared to some of the things I see, but it's nice and functional. I like it! You still have yet to pick a side bonus, though. Terrain Proficency, +2 points to all units, or increased chance of your warlords/casters having a particular special on popping. Your desire for an island has been noted and I will see what I can do to accommodate you.

-Nihila: This is an intriguing side composition. I like the earth-themed stuff, and a mountain side is always interesting. That you wrote out the possibility of starting with a Dirtamancer is very good, I would have said no if it was more than just flavor for the side. A few notes though - The Earthen Tigers can have limited dirtamancy sure, that's pretty cool. I just wanted to point out that being LIMITED dirtamancy you will only be making crap and soft rock golems at best. Which is okay, they aren't bad helpers. And the Earth Masters are ALSO neat, but gotta point out to you - when you have that many high tier specials, they're going to start out with a random one and get one each level, just like archons. Acid Breath will be a constant, though. That's really not so bad though. You really only need one of them with leadership and dance fighting to make the whole group start kicking some boop.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Kaed wrote:Yeah sorry man... I said three people and while I'd love to take you on I know at some point down the line I will hate myself for increasing the workload even more. The first game ended because I burned myself out and I don't want that to happen again.

Oh believe me I know! I GM'ed an Erfworld game of like SIX people about half a year ago...THAT was a mistake haha. No worries, I just didn't read carefully enough. If you play by forums it'll def be interesting to watch anyway and see how it goes :)
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Nihila » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Kaed wrote:-Nihila: This is an intriguing side composition. I like the earth-themed stuff, and a mountain side is always interesting. That you wrote out the possibility of starting with a Dirtamancer is very good, I would have said no if it was more than just flavor for the side. A few notes though - The Earthen Tigers can have limited dirtamancy sure, that's pretty cool. I just wanted to point out that being LIMITED dirtamancy you will only be making crap and soft rock golems at best. Which is okay, they aren't bad helpers. And the Earth Masters are ALSO neat, but gotta point out to you - when you have that many high tier specials, they're going to start out with a random one and get one each level, just like archons. Acid Breath will be a constant, though. That's really not so bad though. You really only need one of them with leadership and dance fighting to make the whole group start kicking some boop.
The Mountain King I was thinking wouldn't have any Dirtamancy casting powers, that's just to explain the flavor units that are little more than moving rocks, and some other flavor stuff.

The Tigers are just supposed to have those limited abilities, and maybe the income-boosting effects in Mines and the like. For the Earth Masters, I do like the idea of having them gain specials as they level, like they're learning. Would that be luck-based, or would they gain a special each level?
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Kaed wrote:
WaterMonkey314 wrote:The idea is to do an "auto-scout" thing like LtDave proposed in one of the later tBfGKs and I tried out in TAW Chapter 2. It's actually pretty simple - just have certain units/cities act as "scouts"

eh... That not only does not sound more easy, but it isn't how scouts work in erfworld. Thanks but I'll manage.

It definitely is a fairly drastic deviation, but we found it was necessary as combat spaces and the number of scouts expanded. With small numbers of units, it's harder; it only becomes useful when players begin to accumulate large numbers of scouts (and the GM then has to check 10 scouting paths for legality and then process the results). For me, processing scouting orders consumed the biggest amount of my time; the atuo-scout system reduced that time expenditure by a significant amount. If scouting isn't so much of the limiting factor, then it's probably not worth the sacrifice of canonical scouting.
WaterMonkey314

Postby The Colonel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:20 am

Kaed wrote:
0beron wrote:Oh that's fine. I'll keep my eye on the thread to see if an assistant GM shows up, but otherwise I'll just wait for another game to crop up :p (I wouldn't really know who to look for, since I've been out of touch from the forums for a bit and don't know who is gaming right now anyway haha)

Yeah sorry man... I said three people and while I'd love to take you on I know at some point down the line I will hate myself for increasing the workload even more. The first game ended because I burned myself out and I don't want that to happen again.

Now, the other two sides:

-The_Colonel: Your side... well. Wow. I can find nothing wrong with it. It's a little bland compared to some of the things I see, but it's nice and functional. I like it! You still have yet to pick a side bonus, though. Terrain Proficency, +2 points to all units, or increased chance of your warlords/casters having a particular special on popping. Your desire for an island has been noted and I will see what I can do to accommodate you.

-Nihila: This is an intriguing side composition. I like the earth-themed stuff, and a mountain side is always interesting. That you wrote out the possibility of starting with a Dirtamancer is very good, I would have said no if it was more than just flavor for the side. A few notes though - The Earthen Tigers can have limited dirtamancy sure, that's pretty cool. I just wanted to point out that being LIMITED dirtamancy you will only be making crap and soft rock golems at best. Which is okay, they aren't bad helpers. And the Earth Masters are ALSO neat, but gotta point out to you - when you have that many high tier specials, they're going to start out with a random one and get one each level, just like archons. Acid Breath will be a constant, though. That's really not so bad though. You really only need one of them with leadership and dance fighting to make the whole group start kicking some boop.

May I have a higher chance of popping casters? If not, I'll take the +2 to ALL units.

Edit, I changed my units a bit.
The Colonel

Postby Exate » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm still awaiting any changes to the Move rules, if any, as I think they're pretty crazy as they currently stand. I've put together preliminary statistics, though. Note that the rules as written are bent in several locations (noted in each case) as we've previously discussed/to fit flavor; please let me know if any of these are a problem. Commentary is given in [brackets] after each unit.

Side: The Sandmen
Favored Terrain: Desert

Sand Warrior (Stabber, 30): 5/4/2/5, Desert-Capable
Swift of foot and blade, for there is no greater hymn to the Titans than the screams of their enemies upon the dunes.
[Fairly standard. I went for a fast, offensive build here even though it took burning a couple points on Move- I'd like my infantry to be able to keep up with my warlords when moving.]

City Guard (Piker, 20): 7/3/6/2, Garrison, Desert-Capable
Guards alone amongst all the Sandmen are popped to protect what is theirs rather than strike the enemy; they are stubborn in battle and stubbornly prideful to match.
[I'm basically never planning to have these guys leave my cities, obviously.]

Desert Archer (Archer, 30): 5/6/0/5, Garrison, Ranged, Desert-Capable
Quick to move, quick to fire, quick to kill, quick to die.
[Burning points on Move really hurts offensive and defensive firepower, but hopefully it won't make these guys totally useless. It should be fairly evident that I'm planning to promote a heck of a lot of these out of garrison, or investing in those Move points would have been a total waste. We'll see how it works out.]

Djinni (Scout, 30): 3/0/0/8, Flight, Scout-6, Jinn Stealth, Desert-Capable
Capricious and elusive spirits, least of their kind, no more than bearers of visions and whispers.
[The Jinn Stealth ability is the natural foolamancy stealth ability that we've discussed. I priced it at 3 points, and renamed the unit Djinni to avoid confusion when referring to the type as a collective.]

Fedaykin (Knight, 90): 10/9/5/5, Rider, Fate Sense, Desert-Capable
They read their own lives like a book, fighting their battles from pop to croak along the uncompromising strands of Fate.
[The Fate Sense ability is a 6-point ability that's basically the Limited Predictamancy spin that we discussed; aside from that no surprises here. Since a Heavy Fedaykin would be fairly ridiculous, would it be possible to trade out that option for the possibility of promoting Fremen into Fedaykin at a hefty cost, instead?]

Fremen (Special A, 40): 6/5/3/5, Rider, Desert-Capable
Blue eyes merciless as the desert skies, knives not sheathed until the enemy lies croaked on the sand.
[Unfortunately, the way that the stats are set up and my desire to have all ground units match the Move of Warlords meant that Fremen turned out as slightly stronger, slightly more expensive Stabbers with the Rider ability (which I had to give them because sandworms). They'll probably end up mostly being used as cheap cavalry because of that- which wastes the points spent on the Move that shoved them into that role in the first place. Frustrating, but eh. Side note, Fremen flavor in a world without blood and where water pops for you to drink every morning gets wonky.]

Ebony Horse (Special B, 40): 6/1/3/12, Mount, Flying, Fast, Desert-Capable
Each of them a swift work of art upon the winds.
[Due to the relative impossibility of making a useful flying mount from a Special A/B under the given rules a bit, I bent them a bit here: Reduced Combat by 2 for the Mount ability, and allowed the purchase of the Fast complex special. This makes viable a flying cavalry unit that has enough of a Move increase to mean something, if a relatively expensive and fragile one.]

Ifrit (Special C, 80): 6/3/3/12, Flying, Jinn Stealth, Fast, Fabrication, Desert-Capable
Skilled craftsmen of the unseen jinn, conjuring deadly armaments for use against all the Sandmen's foes.
[Nothing particularly special here; it has Jinn Stealth as discussed and the other powers mostly to fit jinn flavor. Unfortunately that left it with basically no points for combat prowess, which would also be in ifrit flavor as they're supposed to be powerful... but one can't have everything. At least with Fabrication they can equip themselves with arms and armor that bring them up to 6/6/6/12 relatively quickly.]

Shai-Hulud (Special D, 250): 15/9(24)/9/12, Heavy, Mount, Burrowing, Tremorsense, Sonic Breath, Battlecrap, Desert-Capable
Grandfather of the desert, devouring all from below.
[As presented here sandworms don't really statistically measure up to their flavor (for one thing they're relatively fragile), but one can't have everything and since in this setting they're going to be able to leave the desert without dying, the trade-off isn't so bad. They at least have most of their iconic abilities and between the combat+sonic breath+battlecrap combination should be able to shred ground targets and buildings with attacks from below; obviously I'm not thinking that the Battlecrap ability is flavored as actual battlecrap but the "double damage against ground targets" is basically exactly what Shai-Hulud needed to be effective.]

Dhow (Sloop, 60): 6/2/3/8/[8], Water-Capable
Small, speedy vessels popped to bear the Sandmen across the seas.
[Mostly boring, biased toward speed. I don't really like the unit model for ships; I'm inclined to say that there should be "war machine" rules which account for things like ships, siege towers, and so forth- large things that definitely aren't units themselves but are rather crewed by units. That would be a fair bit of work, though.]

Corsair (Galley, 90): 8/6/3/8/[16], Ranged, Water-Capable
Larger and deadlier, built to bring stacks of Sandmen into battle and sink enemy vessels.
[Mostly boring, biased toward offense and speed.]

Marid (Galleon, 130): 10/11/11/8, Ranged, Jinn Stealth, Water-Capable
Malicious and powerful jinn who lurk beneath the waves and delight in the desperate struggles of the drowned.
[I built this as a unit instead of a ship, gave it Jinn Stealth as discussed, removed the cargo capacity since it's flavored as a unit. I was tempted to give it other abilities but didn't want to drift too far off-template. Also, I was thinking about what powers would give control over water in the Erfworld magic system and I'm pretty sure it's Dirtamancy, which is odd but that's the school that handles the manipulation of non-living matter. So any kind of water control power, including supernatural swimming abilities, would be a form of Natural Dirtamancy.]
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

Eeer' Kaed?.... I'll take that as a no. EDITING UNITS NOW!
The Colonel

Postby Kaed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 am

The Colonel wrote:Eeer' Kaed?.... I'll take that as a no. EDITING UNITS NOW!

sorry. Got preoccupied with exate. And... No sorry. Caster calculation is already complicated enough without altering it. Hold off in updating your side though... I'm about so post a massive rework of unit data. You will just have to redo it again... Sorry. Balance changes were seriously needed but you should like the new rules more. Everything is better.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:19 pm

-ERRATA-

All infantry class units have a move of 5. This includes stabber piker archer and knight.

Further. These are the stats for updated units.

Knight-class Infantry 10/3/3/5 (rider)+ 14. May buy ONE of the following specials for 3 points, which is also granted to promoted knights too: flying, archery, frightening, toxin, dance-fighting, siege.

A/B - 8/2/2/6 + 12

C - 12/3/3/4 + 18

D - 16/4/4/3 + 26

Upkeep has been updated for these too

Knight- 90+10
Special A/B- 60+10/level (above 1)
Special C- 120+20/level
Special D- 300+50/level

Finally. Fast and Very Fast are no longer abilities. They have been retconjured. There is now instead an ability called Speed Boost available to all special and knights can buy. It costs 2 points to get and gives +6 to Move. This is STACKABLE.

There is also a Speed Boost+ ability available to D specials only. It costs 4 points and gives +16 move, but otherwise is the same.

Finally. Some errata for the special units. Hence forth all of them will be classified upon creation as either Knight-class (meaning they resemble humans or humanoid) or Beast-class (anything else). Beasts can't take Rider and Knights can't take Mount. Beasts also can't be uncroaked.

There is going to be some reclassification of knight class infantry too. Since knight class is a designation rather than a tier knight infantry as they are now are getting a nerf. Not a huge one, just one that makes them make sense. They may no longer get specials aside from archery and flying, though they automatically get Rider whether they pop or are promoted from the ranks of infantry. You may still choose to design your on-pop knights but here is the thing - promoting an infantry unit to a knight costs 1000 schmuckers. This means rewarding a successful infantry unit with a few levels with knighthood is rewarding to the side as well. Knight-class infantry are still infantry and therefore can be promoted to warlord and by extension hier. (Special exception: All natural allies count as an infantry unit and can therefore be promoted to Knights – like the Knights in Stanly’s Service – BUT they may not become warlords or hiers) The promotion from infantry to warlord costs 10k but also reverts them to a level 1 unit WITH ALL THE SAME STATS + leadership, and the same upkeep +50. You are free to spend your treasury on that, but it would be better done strategically. Since warlord promotion starts a unit over a first level with carried over stats and leadership, it is possible for the rich side to create weak warlords on the fly by grabbing the nearest infantry you can lay hands on. This is what Stanley did up until the start of book 1. It did not go so well for him, obviously.

Basically - unit with some significant experience behind it being promoted = always better than just popping the same thing fresh.

Speaking of upgrades, promotions provide improvements equal to half the points spent in any given category, rounded up. That is, since the basic knight is:
10/3/3/5 (rider)+ 14
Then two different sides build their knight units to look like
Side A: 16/7/6/5, Rider, Flying
Side B: 10/10/10/5, Rider
Then a promoted Side A knight might get
+3 Hits, +2 Combat, +2 Defense, Rider, Flying
While a Side B knight gets
+4 Combat, +4 Defense, Rider
Last edited by Kaed on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Hmmmm, some of this stuff seems kinda complicated and might be able to get reworded or reworked for clarity....but either way I like it because it looks a lot more like actual Erfworld :) Very nice job Kaed!
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:39 pm

0beron wrote:Hmmmm, some of this stuff seems kinda complicated and might be able to get reworded or reworked for clarity....but either way I like it because it looks a lot more like actual Erfworld :) Very nice job Kaed!

That was the idea... Honestly I had that all written out nice and clearly and it took me twenty minutes to transfer all the relevant data from PM to here... And then IE bugged up and sent me back a page, losing all the data. :I so I just did a messy info dump in frustration and because I had to leave soon.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games