Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame Take 3 - Recruitment

Postby 0beron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 pm

and this is why we use Chrome, or at the very least, Firefox :p
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:51 pm

0beron wrote:and this is why we use Chrome, or at the very least, Firefox :p

Yes, well. I was lazy and grabbed a public access computer without either of those. I thought, I'm only going to be here a half hour. It can't hurt.

HOW SILLY OF ME. EXPECTING EXPLORER TO BRIEFLY BEHAVE LIKE A SENSIBLE BROWSER.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:54 pm

You sir, have been siggy-ed, because that's just too funny not to be repeated every time I post :) :)

I'll stop distracting from the actual game now haha :p
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm

To be clear, you three in the session. You need to remake your side using the updated rules.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 pm

The Colonel wrote:Side: Erf-Command
Leader: Kevin Crossett
Favored Terrain: none

Infantry
Stabber Class
Rookie
The wave of raw recruits that make up any army
HP 6, Attack 6, defense 2, Move 6,

Piker Class
Seaman
Much more specialize soldiers, given better armour to help protect the rookies and to allow them to do their job.
HP 7, Attack 3, Defense 6, Move 6,

Archer Class
Marksman
Highly trained and lightly armored marksmen.
HP 5, Attack 7, Defense 1, Move 6, Special - Archery

Scout Class
Steam Scout
Well trained light infantry, wearing a steam powered backpack that allows them the ability of flight. It makes them incapable of carrying much in terms of weapons or armour.
HP 6, Attack 1, Defense 1, Move 9, Special - Fly, Special - scout range 6

Knight Class
Super-soldier
highly trained and highly augmented soldiers.
13 HP, Attack 8, Defense 8, Speed 5, specials - Rider, Ranged

Special
Special A
Commissioned-Officer
We do everything.
HP 6, Attack 4, Defense 4, Move 5, Special - Builder, fabrication, Surveyor, Leadership

Special B
Airborne-Trooper
Using recently uncovered ancient technology, distributed to experienced soldiers.
HP 6, Attack 7, Defense 6, Move 6, Special - Flight, Ranged

Special C
Displacer
Small and well balanced though not carrying much in terms of equipment
HP 12, Attack 7, Defense 7, Move 7, Special- Ranged, Siege

Special D
Heavy Weapons Platform
The ultimate weapon, fast, powerful, large and carrying enough firepower to smash small cities
HP 18, Attack 16(24), Defense 16, Speed 12, Special- Ranged, Siege, Lightning

Ships
Sloop
Searanger
A basic fast transport craft with some minor armaments
HP 6, Attack 1, Defense 4, Speed 10, Cargo 8, Special- Water capable

Galley
Leviathan
An average craft nearly capable of equaling the Searanger's speed but with double the capacity
HP 8, Attack 7, Defense 5, Speed 8, Cargo 16, Special- Water capable, Ranged

Galleon
Avenger
A large, well armed and slow craft
HP 12, Attack 12, Defense 12, Speed 7, Cargo 32, Special- Water capable, Ranged

Yes, It has a theme. I'm hoping to start on an island
Last edited by The Colonel on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
The Colonel

Postby The Colonel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 pm

OKAY! Edited my dudes according to your changes!
The Colonel

Postby Kaed » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Please, people! I tried using humor the first time, but now it seems I need to be direct - please do not use spoiler tags when listing your units. It makes reading them very difficult for me! If you are still there colonel, I would ask that you correct them.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:25 am

Two problems with your side, and one I probably should have addressed last time anyway but somehow didn't notice.

1) There are no half hit points. Just round your stabber down to 6. I'm adding some minor errata about that saying that health is purchased in a 'buy two get one free' manner. That way there is no confusing .5 HP

2) I'm not sure if it made it into other systems but my original concept said D-class specials are the only ones who can get simple mancies. Even limited magic is a powerful affair. However... I am willing to let your psi-ops soldiers have a natural form of thinkamancy that allows them to make ONE one-way thinkagram a day. Basically a way for them to instantly report something to a warlord or the ruler.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:14 am

I was trying to recreate psionics from X-COM.
The Colonel

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Would it be possible for my infantry-level knights to exchange Rider for Flying, and buy Leadership with 4 points?

Edit: Also, under your new rules can a Dollamancer Fabricate in the field without supplies by spending juice?
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Okay, assuming the answer to both my previous questions is yes, here is my side :)

Morlock Wells
Ruler: Queen Victoria Verne
Livery: Black & White with Red trim.
Flag:
MorlockWellsavatar.jpg
Flag
MorlockWellsavatar.jpg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

Favored Terrain: Mountains

Built high on the slopes of the unforgiving mountains sits the city of Morlock Wells. Led by their fearless and ambitious Queen, Victoria Verne, the people of this Side pursue mastery of the physical world and it's laws. At first they achieved this through technology and obtaining mastery over gravity, but as time passed they also delved into the powers of mind and music. Growing in confidence, they now turn their eyes out across the surrounding peaks, in search of space to expand.

Morlock architecture has elements of Victorian England, classic Gothic, and a strong flavor of fantasy Steam-punk.

Units:
(I am choosing the Mountain Terrain Capability for my side, so all units have this special)
Infantry
  • Artisan (Stabber) - (8/4/2/5)
    These hardy men and women make up the bulk of Morlock Wells’ armies. Wielding the tools of their trade as improvised weapons to surprisingly deadly effect, they charge into battle to advance their side’s prosperity.
  • Bouncer (Piker) - (10/2/5/5/garrison)
    Clad in masks that obscure the lower portions of their face and tight leather vests, these mysterious soldiers are unflappable in the face of danger.
  • Arbalist (Archer) - (5/8/1/5/garrison, ranged)
    Armed with crossbows tuned for deadly accuracy, these commonly female warriors are rarely seen by their targets before it is too late.
  • Bird’s Eye (Scout) - (3/1/1/9/flight, scout)
    Crafted to resemble all manner of aerial wildlife, these small creatures seek out new locations for cities and mines.
  • Mechanic (Knight)- 10/10/8/7 (flying)
    Well versed in the mechanical creations of their side, these soldiers fly into battle alongside the Dwaco-mechs using all manner of weaponry they craft themselves.

Specials
  • Engineer (A): 8/2/3/18 (Knight-type, Builder, Surveyor, Fabrication) (Speed x2)
    Among the best respected of Morlock’s elite are these learned units who can always think up just the right gadget for the job at hand.
  • Dwaco-mech (B): 11/3/3/18 (Beast-type, Mount-2, Flight) (Speed x2)
    These mechanical beasts are fashioned to resemble the dwagons of myth. They serve as the primary mount for Morlock, carrying units long distances before landing to do battle.
  • Prodigy (C): 12/7/3/10 (Knight-type, Flight, Ranged, Leadership, Simple-Rhymomancy, Dance-fighting, Healer) (Speed)
    Rare and widely admired for their abilities, these units are gifted with an exceptionally pure understanding of both the physical world and the mind. They use their talents to lead and inspire their fellows from above.
  • Pop-Star (D): 22/10/10/19 (Beast-type, Mount-3, Flight, Ranged, Siege, Sonic Breath) (Speed+)
    The hulking mechanical monstrosities, with names such as Belieber, Purp!e, and Lord GoGo, strike fear into any who stand against them. Perched at the center of a disk of crystals and levers, the metallic facsimile of a human torso blasts enemy walls to dust with waves of sound.
Ships
Will be created when/if I ever need them....but now that I think about it, could I make one or even all my ships flying instead?

Note: Just as a note on flavor, my "beast-type" units are actually sentient machines, hence why they can't be uncroaked.
Also, as the theme text may suggest, casters my side likes are Thinka, Rhyme, and Doll. Once we don't like are any kind of Hippiemancy.
Last edited by 0beron on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:42 pm

-ERRATA-

Whoop, wow. Yeah sorry Oberon, the high mountains thing was something I actually intended to address some time ago but forgot. High mountains are -Impassable-, even by flying units. There is precedent for this in Erfworld - Faq is only accessible through a single mountain pass.

Aaaand... no sorry. Knight-infantry are still infantry. Their whole point is that they need leadership. Really the only reason you'd get flying for your Knighs is to let them ignore terrain when moving to a combat situation and tactical deployment of their position. By a warlord, not themselves. They still have only 5 move, man... they will need to have a mount to keep up.

Fiiiinally. I already addressed this earlier today with Colonel. Can't have limited mancies on anything but a D-class special unit. If there was something in particular you wanted, like a natural form of magic, you can talk to me about a special ability that does just that. But, the ability to conjure raw materials, that costs juice and is definately a limited mancy. Also, you're thinking of Hat Magic. Dollamancy just assembles and modifies/enchants already existing materials. Remember, Ace and Cubbins made a great combo, one pulled stuff out of his hat, the other put them together into Hardware.

EDIT: okay look. I feel like I'm stifling you guys a little bit, so I'll tell you what. I'm going to ease up on the D-only mancy thing, but I'm also going to expand on it a little bit so it doesn't feel so unbalanced.

-NEW RULING-

Any special unit MAY buy a limited mancy... BUT. The juice cap is sharply limited when you go down to weaker Specials.

Special A/B - 10 juice available
Special C - 20 juice available
Special D - 30 juice avalable

This should allow you to be a little more creative if you want, but still not overbalance things by allowing you to have A/B units capable of acting like Archons
Last edited by Kaed on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Kaed wrote:Whoop, wow. Yeah sorry Oberon, the high mountains thing was something I actually intended to address some time ago but forgot. High mountains are -Impassable-, even by flying units. There is precedent for this in Erfworld - Faq is only accessible through a single mountain pass.

Ah yes you're very right, I forgot about that! I originally came up with the idea for MW before that was fully revealed to us, so I forgot about it, not a problem :p I agree we want to be as close to Erf mechanics as possible.

Kaed wrote:Aaaand... no sorry. Knight-infantry are still infantry. Their whole point is that they need leadership. Really the only reason you'd get flying for your Knighs is to let them ignore terrain when moving to a combat situation and tactical deployment of their position. By a warlord, not themselves. They still have only 5 move, man... they will need to have a mount to keep up.

Yup that's totally fair on the Leadership thing. If I so chose though, COULD I swap out Rider for Flying?

Kaed wrote:-NEW RULING-

Any special unit MAY buy a limited mancy... BUT. The juice cap is sharply limited when you go down to weaker Specials.

Special A/B - 10 juice available
Special C - 20 juice available
Special D - 30 juice avalable

This should allow you to be a little more creative if you want, but still not overbalance things by allowing you to have A/B units capable of acting like Archons

Yup that's fair too. My Drones are going to definitely change then...I wasn't a huge fan of them anyway so this is an excuse for me to come up with something more creative.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:09 pm

0beron wrote:Yup that's totally fair on the Leadership thing. If I so chose though, COULD I swap out Rider for Flying?

Alright fiiiine. But you really really won't have Rider anymore. I hope you know what you're doing.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Kaed wrote:Alright fiiiine. But you really really won't have Rider anymore. I hope you know what you're doing.

Oh I do :) They can still ride mounts long distances, they'll just have to dismount and fly by themselves to do battle effectively :)
Okay, my side should be complete now.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45 pm

0beron wrote:Flying/Ranged

WOAH okay sorry man. This is what happens when I try to make special exceptions. That is quite literally the exact combo I was having balance nightmares about when I redid the knight infantry. I'm sorry to retract my own ruling, but I really can't be making exceptions like this even when my natural niceness makes me want to.

I hope you realize why a flying archer who can't be easily knocked down by say dismounting them gives me the weeblies.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Awwwww pity. That ok, just means I get to sink 2 more points into base stats. I'll leave them just as Flying, no ranged.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Kaed wrote:
0beron wrote:Flying/Ranged

WOAH okay sorry man. This is what happens when I try to make special exceptions. That is quite literally the exact combo I was having balance nightmares about when I redid the knight infantry. I'm sorry to retract my own ruling, but I really can't be making exceptions like this even when my natural niceness makes me want to.

I hope you realize why a flying archer who can't be easily knocked down by say dismounting them gives me the weeblies.

Git it, cutting the airborne trooper. Sad, I used to laugh at Chryssalid with em.
The Colonel

Postby Kaed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:30 am

The Colonel wrote:Git it, cutting the airborne trooper. Sad, I used to laugh at Chryssalid with em.

No no. Yours was not a knight infantry. You may do that combo with special units because 1) They are pretty much made of points anyway, and 2) any infantry unit cannot be instantly promoted to them for the cost of 2000 schmuckers.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Nihila » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 am

Okay, units w/o fluff:

Stabber: Rock Armour: 5-4-4-5; Mountain-Capable
Piker: Tunnel Guard: 7-3-4-5; Mountain-Capable
Archer: Dark Moon Hunter: 5-8-1-5; Mountain-Capable
Scout: Eagew Eye: 3-1-0-10; Scout Range=6; Flight; Mountain-Capable
Knight: Earthen Cripplew: 10-14-3-5; Rider; Toxin

A: Atalian Horse: 8-2-2-6(36); Beast-type; Mount; Mountain-Capable; Speed Boost x5 (Because why not?)
B: Dirt Mover: 8-3-2-6; Knight-type; Builder; Surveyor; Fabrication; Ranged; Toxin
C: Death Harper: 12-9-3-4; Knight-type; Leadership; Dance-Fighting; Ranged; Toxin
D: Earth Master: 16-4(12)-4-3(9); Knight-type; Limited Dirtamancy; Leadership; Dance-Fighting; Ranged; Toxin; Lighting Breath; Speed Boost

A-ship: Clay Racer: 6-2-2-9-8; Water-Bound (i.e., Water Capable but stuck in Water)
B-ship: Porcelain Transport: 8-3-3-7-24; Water-Bound
C-ship: Steel Murder: 10-21-5-5-32; Ranged; Water-Bound
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games