Book 2 – Page 77

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 77

Postby Swodaems » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Zain wrote:No idea what Lloyd's deal is though, unless he's doubling some healomancy, or doubling their attack shots and just can't keep up, or is running out of juice.

I think you're right with the juice idea. He's probably using it up doing things like doubling Ossomer's leadership bonus or creating arrows for the archers to fire. (If you have a better explanation than Lloyd's intervention for why previously "arrow-spent" archers are now capable of firing, I would love to hear it.) If he runs out of juice, Jetstone had better hope that the unipegataurs will still be strong enough to try trampling Archons to death in midair.

(Also, if the idea of Lloyd being low on juice is right, the appropriate tactic for the archons to be trying in this scenario is to evade until he runs out.)

Kaed wrote:The way they fire their enchanted items so solemnly. It's just... Wow. No one ever says pew pew so seriously.

You read that as them being serious? I didn't. I couldn't get a good read on their faces in the panel where they fire, so I assumed their attitude was the same as the adrenaline-high enjoying one that was shown in the previous panel. The two of them are also shown elsewhere in the page using exaggerated body language to gesture and dodge, so that is another mark against solemnity. While Slately is using both arms to steadily aim, (if you look right next to the right edge of his crown, you can see his left fingers on his right arm,) Ossomer has struck a freaking pose before firing.

To me, that was akin to one of those moments in a Hollywood action movie where the characters are shown having fun doing violence and you're expected to be having fun also.

On a side note, if this was meant to be an endearing father-son moment, the presence of crying women does not help.
Last edited by Swodaems on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swodaems

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Swodaems wrote:On a side note, if this was meant to be an endearing father-son moment, the presence of crying women does not help.

So ... the Jetstones are the family from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Urf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I figured Anne and Emily were in reference to Hathaway and Blunt, assistants to the Devil Who Wears Prada.
Urf

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Urf wrote:I figured Anne and Emily were in reference to Hathaway and Blunt, assistants to the Devil Who Wears Prada.

While I would LOVE that to be the case....something tells me Rob has never seen that movie haha.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Urf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm

It's a very good movie. It's barely a chick flick.
Urf

Postby Lamech » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Zain wrote:
0beron wrote:While they seem to be holding their own just fine, I'm also not seeing Jetstone making any progress on the "we need to capture these Archons" plan. Depending on the severity of whatever Lloyd is worried about, I expect Slately is going to survive....but he's not gonna get his heir either....

If I had to guess, I'd throw it out there that attacking with a command word of "pew pew" might be more of a stun-and-capture on the guantlet and weapon. While it could just be the word made for the King's weapon, we already know from this page that Ossomer's guantlet has a command word of "Tesla".

No idea what Lloyd's deal is though, unless he's doubling some healomancy, or doubling their attack shots and just can't keep up, or is running out of juice.

I was under the impression that he was using the healomancy wand that got mentioned at some point...
Lamech

Postby Kreistor » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:49 pm

fehler wrote:A falling archon? As opposed to dusting? That could be interesting.

Not really. We already have the precedent of falling damage placing you in a state of "not quite dead, but you will be without healing". Without direct word that she produced an undusted corpse, this isn't enough to suggest it is possible for a decrypted to leave a corpse.

Confirmed existence of trigger words with devices, which means devices do not confer spellcasting to wielders of items. (Previously suspected, but some believed otherwise.)

I'm diappointed that Lloyd is only using "Here, here" as his casting words. If it's a play on responses to speeches (ie. in COngress or Parliament) it's a pretty weak reference. I'd have prefered "Xerox, Canon, Nikon, Hewlett Packard" or more obscure references. Names of counterfeiters, for instance.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby kriss1989 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:25 pm

"Aw man, he's got the twin daggers of pew pew pew."

Cookie for anyone that gets the ref.
This is no longer a case of Checkov's Gun, but Checkov's frickin Arsenal. Chekhov's Munitions Factory. Chekhov's Ordnance Ordinance. Chekhov's Exorbitant Explosive Excess.
kriss1989

Postby EvilCoatrack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Saladman wrote:
DevilDan wrote:
Toper wrote:Does anyone else think the Brontë sisters are a really weird choice for Archon names? It doesn't exactly say peppy and bubbly like the rest of the names have.

I was surprised myself. It's a little "high-brow" to begin with.

It is an eerie choice.

I don't really see anything weird about it. Aside from their novels, one thing the Brontë sisters had in common was that they all died young (Charlotte lived the longest and she only reached 38). Given the archons' current situation, the names seem entirely appropriate.
EvilCoatrack

Postby name lips » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm

So... the tower's down, and Trem isn't with the fliers. I thought as the "underdog" brother he'd have enough plot immunity to get to the Healamancer in time.

But I guess we shouldn't count him dead until we see his corpse.
name lips

Postby Lamech » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Kreistor wrote:
fehler wrote:A falling archon? As opposed to dusting? That could be interesting.

Not really. We already have the precedent of falling damage placing you in a state of "not quite dead, but you will be without healing". Without direct word that she produced an undusted corpse, this isn't enough to suggest it is possible for a decrypted to leave a corpse.

Confirmed existence of trigger words with devices, which means devices do not confer spellcasting to wielders of items. (Previously suspected, but some believed otherwise.)

I'm diappointed that Lloyd is only using "Here, here" as his casting words. If it's a play on responses to speeches (ie. in COngress or Parliament) it's a pretty weak reference. I'd have prefered "Xerox, Canon, Nikon, Hewlett Packard" or more obscure references. Names of counterfeiters, for instance.

Is the archon even falling? Consider what happens to Ceaser here
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F113.jpg
Stunned but not dead, or in need of healing.
Lamech

Postby Swodaems » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Lamech wrote:
Kreistor wrote:

Is the archon even falling? Consider what happens to Ceaser here
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F113.jpg
Stunned but not dead, or in need of healing.

Does anyone else see a vague comet of smoky haze surrounding the falling Emily's head in panel 6, or do I need to adjust my monitor? I don't think she is still 'alive'. I think she is dusting out of her clothes in midair.
Swodaems

Postby boegiboe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Does anyone else see a vague comet of smoky haze surrounding the falling Emily's head in panel 6, or do I need to adjust my monitor? I don't think she is still 'alive'. I think she is dusting out of her clothes in midair.

Yes, this is right. It's the only reason for tears to be welling in Anne's eyes.
boegiboe

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 pm

I had already asked this before some updates ago, and I believe it bears asking again.

Where is Trems right now?

I don't see him anywhere on the unipegataur fleet. The tower just colapsed, and the city's other ground levels are swarming with GK's units.

Also, my guess for the meaning of the dittomancer's last words is simply that he's running out of juice, yanking his scepter to see if he can get the last points out. He had spent a good amount in the bridge battle quadrupling arrows after all.

And damn, that's a hell lot of archons left. Wonder how many blasts a tough high level warlord Ossomer can tank.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby 0beron » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:54 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:I had already asked this before some updates ago, and I believe it bears asking again.

Where is Trems right now?

He is in the Courtyard. He was about to take it back when the purples Sonic-Drive-thu-ed the door to the tower, knocking him unconscious. Because the tower fell away from the Atrium, I would assume he didn't get crushed by any rubble, and is being protected by a stack of his infantry who are still up. But the King's stack doesn't know this, so the chances of Pierce reaching him seem kinda slim....pretty sad considering that Slately is banking everything on making HIM Heir.
Makes me wonder if a Ruler's Natural Thinkamancy senses only give alive/dead status and don't indicate "incapacitated"...or if Slately has actually been too stupid to pay attention.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 am

Yeah, I agree: Falling Emily is dusted. But I notice Anne (the blond one) has teared up but not yet done anything destructive. I predict a revenge move from her real soon now. Probably against Ossomer.

It will be interesting to see whether Slately makes it - I'm thinking yes. If so, he should have gained a new appreciation for the possibilities of action figure dollamancy.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 am

MarbitChow wrote:
0beron wrote:Ya know, that brings up the original question that's been hanging around forever....what IS Erfworld? Is Parson dreaming it? Is it actually real but it have some kind of connection to to "Stupidworld"? I mean, the fact that we are seeing events Parson isn't present for makes the dream explanation increasingly unlikely, but you never know I suppose haha.

The fact that we saw events before Parson was even pulled in should indicate that it isn't a dream.

Also, we saw his buddies calling dibs on his dices after he was plotted away.
mortissimus

Postby multilis » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 pm

mortissimus wrote:Also, we saw his buddies calling dibs on his dices after he was plotted away.

All that could also be part of a dream. Dreams can contain fake real life. People spend many hours a week in real life watching TV, so dreams can also be in same format/style as what a person would see as audience watching a TV show, mind is conditioned to see fantasy that way. (third person view of many situations rather than first person, Parson the dreamer is an omniscient viewer watching a "tv show" where one of the characters is Parson)

The story may really start with Parson getting in a traffic accident (his car is a "bomb"), and then in hospital, unconscious, with saline IV hooked up to him.. Then everything we see flows as a dream from what he was planning to do when he got home if he hadn't had that accident, combined with the world he was trying to create in his game scenario.

But lots of other explanations are also possible. For example: we could go matrix movie and have real life for parson only a simulated life, and erfworld is just a different simulated life, and whatever is outside the simulation (the Titans) controlling the computer decided it would be fun to mix the two different Sims games
multilis

Postby kriss1989 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
0beron wrote:Ya know, that brings up the original question that's been hanging around forever....what IS Erfworld? Is Parson dreaming it? Is it actually real but it have some kind of connection to to "Stupidworld"? I mean, the fact that we are seeing events Parson isn't present for makes the dream explanation increasingly unlikely, but you never know I suppose haha.

The fact that we saw events before Parson was even pulled in should indicate that it isn't a dream. The puns that we get but the Erfworlders don't can simply be a case of common or nonsense words in Erfworld language matching meaningful puns in ours, like how "Oui, oui" ('yes, yes') in French is "wee-wee" (slang for urine or male genitalia) in English. Given infinite parallel universes, there would be at least one where there are an abundance of such matches.

I just realized that if you took this to its logical conclusion, to some other world out there we are the world of puns. For just one example off the top of my head, Enron might sound like a reference to some other dimensions Nathaniel Ronson or the like who was a famous thief alla our Robin Hood. Some movie geek from another dimension would get a kick that our own God is named after memetic bad-ass Jesus Christ alla our own Chuck Noris jokes. And that's just the stuff I can come up with off the top of my head. The possibilities are really endless.
This is no longer a case of Checkov's Gun, but Checkov's frickin Arsenal. Chekhov's Munitions Factory. Chekhov's Ordnance Ordinance. Chekhov's Exorbitant Explosive Excess.
kriss1989

Postby Wymmerdann » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:50 am

He didnt get hit, it was just his cloak. Hence the «uncloaked» sound effect. Man I love the sound effects in this comic.

I read it as him getting hit and the cloak blocking the blast affect. I think it makes more sense that the cloak performed its function and consumed its single charge, than that it was arbitrarily destroyed by the attack.
Wymmerdann

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions