Book 2 – Page 78

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 78

Postby Squall83 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Keighvin1 wrote:That's the thing, if you track the movement of the archons, they blow through the front screen and then fly across a pretty large empty space, with units on the sides that show on the background of panel 3. Then you see Ossomer in front of Slately, where he remains until he is de-rugged, though the angle and perspective of panel 6 give the illusion of distance.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I must say I am impressed at how powerful just a few archons can be in the face of a stack with Ossomer, the King and a handful of casters.

That idea of the Dittomancer doubling Ossomer is a nice one. Even though I also think that he's dusted because of his "going home" at the end it'd be nice if he'd continue to exist because of that trick. I can't imagine though that you can create exact duplicates of high-level units or else Dittomancers wouldn't waste juice on doubling arrows.
Squall83

Postby wrecan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm

If he's doubled, then perhaps they are both originals. So one Ossomer did indeed die and the other one lives. Which is the clone and which the original? Both and neither! (Now I want a Dittomancer named Schroedinger!)
wrecan

Postby drachefly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 am

Trying to invoke Schrödinger here doesn't work - the no cloning theorem forbids it.
drachefly

Postby Oberon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Saladman wrote:Why would the duplicate say "going ... home" as it falls to its death?
Because the duplicate would act just as the original would act. Or it'd be a lousy duplicate. As an example, in HPatDH, when all the Harry duplicates are fleeing, the Death Eaters clue in on the real Harry because he's the only one using expelliarmus, which has been his signature spell in the past. The duplicates were not convincing because although they looked like Harry, they didn't act like Harry.

To be clear, I do not believe that there was a duplicate, or that Ossomer is not truly dead. I could easily be proven wrong, this is just my take based on what we have been shown.
Saladman wrote:And if it is a duplicate where is the original Ossomer? Dittomancy isn't Foolamancy, so he can't be veiled.
Exactly. This is a part of why I do not believe that Ossomer was duplicated.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Kyrt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:38 am

coyotenose wrote:2.Ossomer is fighting with the wrong weapon. The sword was nowhere to be seen on the previous page.

And yet he was carrying it in previous panels. Bk2 Page 46 shows it clearly whole he was negotiating. If he had it before he was restore, he likely had it after he was restored. Its not shown on the previous page, but then you don't have a view of where its sheathed. At the same time, on Page 72 - the next time we get a clear view of that side of him - its not there.

Its unclear what the Dittomancer was doing, but the fact this Ossomer has a sword is simply reverting to the original model; he should have a sword. If there is any mistake, it would appear to be on Page 72 when the sword isn't drawn. There are several pages where the hilt would be expected to be but the angles and small gaps through which the sword would be seen would probably justify not drawing it.

And, as people said, Dittomancy isn't Foolamancy. We'd see two Ossomers in the air.

What we have is a rush that has deprived Jetstone of a powerful warlord and placed 5 Archons right next to the Jetstone king.

3.Slately's laser scepter is missing. Lloyd isn't familiar with it. (and possibly dupes can't use ranged attacks, or need more Juice to use Specials, or can't use Specials) His jetpack is there, but the king would FALL if it weren't. It's a necessary feature.

If Dittomancy requires the Jetpack, it requires the wand.
Kyrt
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions