Summer Updates - 021

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby Binty » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:04 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Binty wrote:I doubt Stanley's hatred of Royals only developed after he became Overlord.


I think Stanley's hatred of royals stems from the simple fact that he can't be one.
I suspect that it didn't matter to him before he became an Overlord


Whereas I suspect Stanley's pretentions to a new titanic mandate began shortly after finding and attuning to the hammer. Time will tell -author willing - who is right here.
Binty
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 7:10 am

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby bathysphere » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Binty wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:
Binty wrote:I doubt Stanley's hatred of Royals only developed after he became Overlord.


I think Stanley's hatred of royals stems from the simple fact that he can't be one.
I suspect that it didn't matter to him before he became an Overlord


Whereas I suspect Stanley's pretentions to a new titanic mandate began shortly after finding and attuning to the hammer. Time will tell -author willing - who is right here.


Ooh! Ooh! I think the bee was put in his bonnet by Wanda as a way of manipulating his course of action after he got the hammer, but before he would'a been interacting with other rulers. What do I win?
bathysphere
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby moose o death » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:19 pm

nothing because that's what i've been saying for two pages.

and wanda first contacted stanley AFTER stanley became attuned.

edit: and where are people getting that he hates royals?, in 180 odd pages erfworld, i've never seen him say he hates royals..don king said he was hunting royals, and jillian said she hates royalty, but stanley has only really said that there is no good and evil and that ansom and others like to pretend they are good but they lead by fear and intimidation.

which so far looks to me like he doesn't hate royals, he's no better than them as he does nothing but threaten disbandment of parson and co throughout the book, maybe rob took another direction with stanley's developement after that page. but i see no hate, just a quest for all the arkentools. essentially he's taking out anyone who stands in the way of the titanic mandate. which is clearly doomed to fail by name alone.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby BRC » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 am

Called it on TV offering to help rebuild FAQ!

gloating aside.The question is, what will Jillian do? She has accepted that there is no rational reason for her to refuse Don's offer. However, her throwing of the tea kettle may mean one of two things
1) She has spent so long hiding from her nature as a royal, that she is frustrated when she finds herself unable to avoid it.
2) Despite her decision that, rationally, becoming Queen of FAQ is the right thing to do, she still rejects it. The wording "Rather than picking up the cup (representing her acceptance of Royalty, and all that comes with it.) She threw the Kettle.
BRC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby moose o death » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:53 am

i'm pretty sure everyone called that. faq was broke most of the time and if jillian is hoping to do anything in her capital she will need schmukers to set up. she can only carry, at most, 9000 schmukers, so i doubt she'd get far on that alone. repopping the capital if it's ruined might cost far more.

i'd still be hesitant to owe TV anything. she's already heard they run a protection setup on the carpudlians. the last thing she needs is a kingdom heavily indebted to TV while stanley appears to be within one - two turns move.

they at least had a foolamancer before for veiling themselves from GK. and there is at least two members of GK wanting to steamroll jillian.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby SMD » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:34 pm

you just don't like him, he's stronger in a fight than much larger forces brought against him. he's an awful leader i will agree. but military might has put far worse morons in charge of large empires throughout our own history. he has the strength and he's using it to make gains. the other kingdoms fear that.

if they didn't...tv would be rushing into that multi hex trap to clean up the leftovers.


No, I simply see Stanley through a clear lense. Stanley was born to be a Chief Warlord- his tactical cunning is superb in narrow situations, like when he captured Jillian in the first book without a prompt from Wanda or anyone else. He also had mad leadership bonus as evidenced during the dance-fight at the chokepoint, and he has the Arkenhammer.

I don't have to go into his failings, but they all relate to dealing with people and dealing with situations outside of his area of narrow genius. He thinks he's bringing a new order to the world, but Wanda, via the self-fulfilling prophecy of Faq, is changing the world in unpredictable ways.

Stanley may change, but I foresee him getting a knife in the back. Parson is sure not going to do anything to stop that once he figures out that he can't be disbanded.
The Power of One

There is great strength in numbers, but there is great power in one, for the strength of the will of one may gather numbers to it. There is strength not only in *knowing* the self, but *knowing* how to bring it forth in others.
SMD
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby bathysphere » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:16 pm

moose o death wrote:nothing because that's what i've been saying for two pages.

This is seriously the worst game show I've ever played.
bathysphere
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:12 pm

bathysphere wrote:
moose o death wrote:nothing because that's what i've been saying for two pages.

This is seriously the worst game show I've ever played.


But you do win a copy of the home game: Erfworld Forums - Arguing With Strangers Over Trivialities!
Invite up to 5 people off the street, pick a card, and argue about arcane details for hours!
Brought to you by Hasbro! :D
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby Goshen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:14 pm

I have not been posting recently, but I have to say again how good the writing is. :-) I just love Erf, and can't wait for the book.
User avatar
Goshen
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby moose o death » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:51 pm

SMD wrote:
you just don't like him, he's stronger in a fight than much larger forces brought against him. he's an awful leader i will agree. but military might has put far worse morons in charge of large empires throughout our own history. he has the strength and he's using it to make gains. the other kingdoms fear that.

if they didn't...tv would be rushing into that multi hex trap to clean up the leftovers.


No, I simply see Stanley through a clear lense. Stanley was born to be a Chief Warlord-
i'm not sure you've been paying attention or you meant that he was fated to be a chiefwarlord? the literal meaning of what you've just said is completely wrong
SMD wrote:his tactical cunning is superb in narrow situations, like when he captured Jillian in the first book without a prompt from Wanda or anyone else. He also had mad leadership bonus as evidenced during the dance-fight at the chokepoint, and he has the Arkenhammer.

I don't have to go into his failings, but they all relate to dealing with people and dealing with situations outside of his area of narrow genius. He thinks he's bringing a new order to the world, but Wanda, via the self-fulfilling prophecy of Faq, is changing the world in unpredictable ways.

Stanley may change, but I foresee him getting a knife in the back. Parson is sure not going to do anything to stop that once he figures out that he can't be disbanded.


ok but this still doesn't make him a rat, or a mouse. he is strongwilled and stubborn with the intelligence of a toddler..armed with a machne gun. if anything he's a pig. or a donkey.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby vdragan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:59 pm

MarbitChow wrote:But you do win a copy of the home game: Erfworld Forums - Arguing With Strangers Over Trivialities!
Invite up to 5 people off the street, pick a card, and argue about arcane details for hours!
Brought to you by Hasbro! :D


well done. I'll take Sympathetic Characters, for 500.

Seriously though. I enjoy these forums. Though they do at times get to be something like reading a page of a novel and then picking it apart. Feels like there's something being lost by doing it, but in absence of the following page, I'll take what I can get.

EDIT:
ok but this still doesn't make him a rat, or a mouse. he is strongwilled and stubborn with the intelligence of a toddler..armed with a machne gun. if anything he's a pig. or a donkey.


man-bear-pig? ...-rat?
or how about a capybara? or a gazellicorn?
"You mustn't think me vain if you catch me glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I do it solely to remind myself what I look like - and that I should never stop trying to compensate for it"
vdragan
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:48 am

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby SMD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:23 pm

moose o death wrote:i'm not sure you've been paying attention or you meant that he was fated to be a chiefwarlord? the literal meaning of what you've just said is completely wrong


I'm using Don's perspective. Stanley was popped with certain abilities and qualities that would make him outstanding as a normal Chief Warlord(Assuming the whole world isn't coming for you). The Peter principle applies here- Stanley did great up until the point that he became supreme ruler. At that point, the job got a little big for him.

moose o death wrote:ok but this still doesn't make him a rat, or a mouse. he is strongwilled and stubborn with the intelligence of a toddler..armed with a machne gun. if anything he's a pig. or a donkey.


And now you're insulting him. He's not an idiot, he just has massive blind spots due to his swollen head.
The Power of One

There is great strength in numbers, but there is great power in one, for the strength of the will of one may gather numbers to it. There is strength not only in *knowing* the self, but *knowing* how to bring it forth in others.
SMD
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Summer Updates - 021

Postby moose o death » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:53 pm

SMD wrote:
moose o death wrote:ok but this still doesn't make him a rat, or a mouse. he is strongwilled and stubborn with the intelligence of a toddler..armed with a machne gun. if anything he's a pig. or a donkey.


And now you're insulting him. He's not an idiot, he just has massive blind spots due to his swollen head.
so can we now agree these animal comparisons are stupid and refer more to your own preconceived notions than you would anticipate. this is why there are dog people and cat people. i can't stand cats, and many people think dogs are too stupid to exist.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Previous

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests