Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby kriss1989 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Dew Mountaineer coming along to give a mega damage boost. For now a Jolly Bee.
This is no longer a case of Checkov's Gun, but Checkov's frickin Arsenal. Chekhov's Munitions Factory. Chekhov's Ordnance Ordinance. Chekhov's Exorbitant Explosive Excess.
kriss1989

Postby ETheBoyce » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm

So I'm considering a Melee/Magic, but they don't have any Magic upgrades they can take; they alreayd have al the Wards!
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:So I'm considering a Melee/Magic, but they don't have any Magic upgrades they can take; they alreayd have al the Wards!

Yep. Ain't that a beauty, you can focus on choosing other upgrades.

(I should mention that some of these units were modeled after Disciples units, because I'm lazy; in particular, Melee/Magic here is based on the Templar unit, which had all elemental Wards. It is, actually, regarded as kinda imba. Let's see how that plays out, since there's a flip side to Wards in my version of the rules- some beneficial spells won't work on a Warded unit)

So we've got an Archon, two Melees and one Support. That's already a fairly interesting stack, but there's room for two more Melees and two more back row units.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:27 pm

I'll go the Archer route (THAC0 Bell), mostly because I like the campaign symmetry.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:02 am

Reading through the rules as part of my catch-up from holiday. I see theres stack room for four more units but have we reached a sign-up limit ? *

* (Re-reading through the sign-up to check - math was never my forte :P )
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:07 am

Ok ! 8th & last place claimed !.... now to decide what role to play.....
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Players and selected unit types, so far:

Swodaems: Melee (/Might/Skill): Patty flipper

0beron: Archon (/Magic/Force): All-a-paino

kriss1989: Support (/Might/Force): Jolly Bee

ETheBoyce: Melee (/Magic/?) ?: Patty flipper

MarbitChow: Archer (/?/?): THAC0 Bell

WaterMonkey314: ?/?/?: ?

The Colonel: ?/?/?: ?

Werebiscuit: ?/?/?: ?

I'd like everyone to select their development path, at least for the first incarnation of their unit. So where there's a question mark, usually it's because some type, or branch, should be selected. ETheBoyce was considering a melee unit, but since that was uncertain I left an extra question mark.

There's no requirement for the 8 of you to form a sensible stack (which is, a stack with 4 melee units and 4 back row units that are NOT melee). It would be easier for you to work together though if you followed that structure. Alternatively, you can split into two stacks, each protected by one melee unit and otherwise filled with Archon/Archer/Support. It will put a lot of pressure on the Melee unit, but in principle workable.

Alternatively alternatively, you may have more than 4 melee units, split them between two or more stacks, and skimp on Archer/Archon/Support for now.

So basically, anything may go. I'm not imposing a structure, just recommending one (4 Melee + 4 not Melee).
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:02 pm

So in other words, it'd be rather ideal if we got one more Archer, and 4 total Melee :)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby kriss1989 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Currently we have two melee three non-melee...mount?
This is no longer a case of Checkov's Gun, but Checkov's frickin Arsenal. Chekhov's Munitions Factory. Chekhov's Ordnance Ordinance. Chekhov's Exorbitant Explosive Excess.
kriss1989

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Since BLAND didn't give us any mount stats, I would assume they're not available yet, or aren't suitable for Player Characters.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:18 pm

I'll go with the Archer / Might / Force build. And granted, it will be a LONG time before Level 6, but does Vampirism apply to the secondary attack, or just the primary?
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:20 pm

kriss1989 wrote:Currently we have two melee three non-melee...mount?

0beron wrote:Since BLAND didn't give us any mount stats, I would assume they're not available yet, or aren't suitable for Player Characters.

I believe I'll become a mount at 2nd level.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 pm

....I just checked that, and you're right....I'm confused though as to the point of an ARCHER becoming a mount...I thought mounts technically counted as the front row, and the unit they carry is in the back row....so doesn't being in the front row ruin the point of being an Archer...? BLAND I'm confused!
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:24 am

I'll be Melee, though frankly I'm somewhat confused about how things work - do we choose a type (e.g. THAC0 Bell) each level?
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:56 am

MarbitChow wrote:I'll go with the Archer / Might / Force build. And granted, it will be a LONG time before Level 6, but does Vampirism apply to the secondary attack, or just the primary?

Just the primary. Secondary effects, if any, will do their thing without pumping life back to you.

0beron wrote:....I just checked that, and you're right....I'm confused though as to the point of an ARCHER becoming a mount...I thought mounts technically counted as the front row, and the unit they carry is in the back row....so doesn't being in the front row ruin the point of being an Archer...?

There was nothing in principle to stop a mount from being a "ranged" type (whether Archer or Archon). Your side pulled the short straw so to speak, and you only have ranged mounts.

WaterMonkey314 wrote:I'll be Melee, though frankly I'm somewhat confused about how things work - do we choose a type (e.g. THAC0 Bell) each level?

When you pop, you choose a type of unit to be. And that's what you are at level 1. On reaching level 2, your unit will upgrade into one of two paths, and same thing will happen on level 3.

I could allow you to decide at level 2 whether you want to pursue the path of Might or the one of Magic, but for reasons to do with how Disciples works, and to make it easier to use the XP-recuperation from corpses, I've decided to require that you specify in advance how you want your unit to upgrade if/when it reaches levels 2 and 3.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:45 am

Patty Flipper named! Bob Posgen! He will become a CHEF and then move on the MASTER CHEF territory! May I rename myself IRON CHEF?
The Colonel

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 am

Second Archer THAC0 Bell, name of Bob Enweave, following the archer/might/skill route reporting for duty.... sah !
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 am

MarbitChow wrote:I'll go with the Archer / Might / Force build. And granted, it will be a LONG time before Level 6, but does Vampirism apply to the secondary attack, or just the primary?

Marbit, Unless I misunderstand the rules (which is a distinct possibility) Archer/Might/Force results in a Medium rare Grillphon... which has 9dmg ... not vampirism. The vampirism is from the Wendygo which is Melee/Might/Force.
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 am

Indeed the only unit that naturally has Vamp is the Wendygo, just as the only unit with natural Leadership is the Burgermeister (well, among the units you can pop, anyway).

However, starting from level 2 until level 6, you get 5 chances to tack on some extra abilities to your units. Like, for example, Vampirism, which is available to Level 6 force units.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:03 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Indeed the only unit that naturally has Vamp is the Wendygo, just as the only unit with natural Leadership is the Burgermeister (well, among the units you can pop, anyway).

However, starting from level 2 until level 6, you get 5 chances to tack on some extra abilities to your units. Like, for example, Vampirism, which is available to Level 6 force units.

Ah... I did misunderstand then. So how does that affect your development path ? have i limited myself to much by specifying Archer/Might/Skill ?
Werebiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games