Book 2 – Page 81

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Kalak wrote:Parson and Wanda know that Ossomer turned. We know he's no longer a problem, because he dusted, but Wanda and Parson probably have no idea what his status is now. They will probably make decisions based off what they think he's capable of, only to realize later that he's dead. I wonder if that will be a problem.

Also keep in mind that we're currently seeing a few minutes back in time. "Right now" Ossomer is still alive in the Spacerock Airspace. The 'Pliers may still alert Wanda when he dusts, but yes I expect you're right that they'll be planning to fight him and discover he has dusted belatedly (in fact, I suspect that part of the reason we switched perspective right now is that Parson is gonna enter Spacerock just as or after that first Slately croaked)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby querzis » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Eggman must be a Dollamancer in Erfworld. Bet he'd get along fine with Ace too, its so much more fun to build weapons and mechanical golems then big dolls.

Also, still dont really like Wanda but man she look so cute in panel 7.
User avatar
querzis
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: Probably somewhere in the universe.

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby effataigus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:26 pm

0beron wrote:
Zeku wrote:Have we ever had a discussion about why only certain characters have pupils?

It was discussed quite some time ago, and I believe there is a wiki page on it...but I don't believe there was a conclusion on that. I've never actually examined who has what kind of eyes, and I personally am inclined to chalk to up to art and Rob just wanting certain characters to look a certain way. But there's definitely a possibility it means something.


Aye, it has come up quite a number of times... if you search for sclera or pupils on the forums you'll find a fair bit. Notably, there are several threads on the subject in the Everything Else Erfworld sub-forum. I believe all of the following center around the question:

Fancy Eyes
What's with the eyes.
The whites of her eyes.
Vanna's eyes
The Eyes
Eye Whites?

As 0beron says, the meaning remains unclear and theories abound... nevertheless there are some observations that people made in the old discussions that I found interesting... for instance, Manpower the Temporary had eye whites.

Regarding pupils, I believe Parson is the only Erfworlder to have them, and he lost his. The other folks with special eyes are special because they have eye-whites... or sclera.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Nnelg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:52 pm

benthehater wrote:I think Stanley was actually trying to say "boop". I think this might hearken back to Parson successfully getting the curse out at the end of Book 1. I makes me wonder about that act, how Parson's vocal defiance to the laws of Erfworld might be reverberating throughout.

Gee, ya think? [/sarcasm]
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Housellama » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I think that Parson has officially Had Enough.

Boop's about to get real.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Saladman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm

╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:Look's like it to me... so natural allies could pop casters? The Spok we've seen would simply be some kind of elf? Could gobwin knob hire a gobwin caster to replenish it's gobwin ranks?


Well, its a big wide world with a lot of unit and city types. Its possible there's a city somewhere that pops gobwin infantry and warlords, rather than there being a whole unmentioned dimension to a natural ally that Parson's looked into. Nnelg already mentioned a "gobwin side" a la Transylvito; I'm being finicky with my phrasing since a gobwin city type might well, but need not, come as a full side/capital.

Though...

Zeku wrote:...could be Dobby in the corner...


Thanks, I'd been wondering what the reference was. In a way that weakens my case. If its just an Easter egg and artistic license, it doesn't have to be a gobwin at all. It could be a gnome, or some other random thing we'll never know, or even a human with some harsh signamancy. I still like the idea of a gobwin city or side somewhere though.
Saladman
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Saladman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Lamech wrote:Xin, your art is amazing, and continues to improve. :) Keep up the good work!


QFT. The last several pages have all been just beautiful.
Saladman
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Rcam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:52 pm

People have completely overlooked the most important thing on this page.

Stanley remembered Zhopa's name!
Rcam
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Hahaha, while hardly the MOST important thing on the page...it's definitely a detail I missed! Seems that this is "All Crappy Rulers Get Better" Day in Erfworld lolol
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 pm

0beron wrote:Seems that this is "All Crappy Rulers Get Better" Day in Erfworld lolol

Oh....I wonder if this is foreshadowing....Slately realizes he has failed as a Ruler and desperately needs to make changes to save his Side, if not himself. Then he croaks.
Is Stanley going to suffer the same fate this turn or in the near future? He's already starting down that path with the whole names thing...
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm

0beron wrote:
0beron wrote:Seems that this is "All Crappy Rulers Get Better" Day in Erfworld lolol

Oh....I wonder if this is foreshadowing....Slately realizes he has failed as a Ruler and desperately needs to make changes to save his Side, if not himself. Then he croaks.
Is Stanley going to suffer the same fate this turn or in the near future? He's already starting down that path with the whole names thing...


Been there, done that back in book 1 and the Summer updates. The battle for Gobwin Knob changed Stanley, and he's still alive and kicking.

Also it's still hilarious how some people still consider having two Tools and the Perfect Warlord while stomping enemy side after enemy side counts as a "failure".

Even if you claim it's his subordinates doing the work, Stanley is still the one that brought and keeps them all togheter. Just the fact he has ensured he didn't get backstabbed by Wanda "I brought the ruin of at least 3 sides I worked for" Firebaugh is quite impressive.

Other rulers get themselves killed in air battles despite having 3 mancers suporting them. Stanley punches trough while rocking with a single mancer at his back!
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Lamech » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:39 pm

How I rate Stanley: Terrible Ruler, 3/10 would not serve again. Luckily for him, the other rulers we have seen have gotten scores of:
Don 2/10: Needs whole set of warlords to stop him from suicide.
Jillian 1/10: Needs everything handed to her.
Slately 0/10: Suicide Charge
Unaroyal's queen: -5/10: Intentionally killed all units, when the "enemy" just wanted to be friends.

So while Stanley isn't particularly competent from our perspective, he isn't the RCCII
Lamech
 
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby LogicsFate » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Just from a quick read of the comic...

Wanda stressed reply to "Lord Parson" seemed significant to me for some reason. She's called him Lord Parson to other units, but has she ever called him Lord to his face? I thought she just keep it to Parson. Need to Check archives.


Opinions are some of the more dangerous things in Erfword.
LogicsFate
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:34 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby Kreistor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Freddie and Slash sound right. Can't help on the fourth. Stagemancy is Hat Magic (Slash), Rhyme-o-mancy (Freddie) and Carnymancy (Jeftichew). The fourth would either be another Carny (suit for dress would be consistent with that but many other classes, too), or worse-case-scenario a Thinkamancer for linkage.

Gobwin caster is surprising, but I suppose that since Natural Allies can pop Warlords, they can pop Casters as well, but I am betting it would be brutally rare, especially considering how few we've seen. He may be talking to an elf, so that's two.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby BrotherRool » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Kalak wrote:Something that looks interesting to me is this:

Parson and Wanda know that Ossomer turned. We know he's no longer a problem, because he dusted, but Wanda and Parson probably have no idea what his status is now. They will probably make decisions based off what they think he's capable of, only to realize later that he's dead. I wonder if that will be a problem.

I think when they get back to the battlefield, they'll quickly gather that information. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it just gets assumed that they know. The archons know and the people on the ground probably saw it happen

I'm wondering what Parson can do when he gets there now though, Slately has basically been taken care of, maybe Slately will retreat and we'll have a sad scene where he dusts in front of Tram (assuming the limited time hypothesis :D) and the whole situation seems relatively contained now. Their side is already in control and it seems to be rapidly heading towards clean-up, but Parson has spent all his time getting here, so he must do something. Maybe he gets trapped or captured? Or else he halts the battle and negotiates? There doesn't seem to be much role for a perfect warlord, that an adequate one couldn't handle. They don't even seem to be in a situation where they need Jack any more, Wanda could win this by herself easy as pie.
BrotherRool
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Saladman wrote:
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:Look's like it to me... so natural allies could pop casters? The Spok we've seen would simply be some kind of elf? Could gobwin knob hire a gobwin caster to replenish it's gobwin ranks?


Well, its a big wide world with a lot of unit and city types. Its possible there's a city somewhere that pops gobwin infantry and warlords, rather than there being a whole unmentioned dimension to a natural ally that Parson's looked into. Nnelg already mentioned a "gobwin side" a la Transylvito; I'm being finicky with my phrasing since a gobwin city type might well, but need not, come as a full side/capital.

Though...

Zeku wrote:...could be Dobby in the corner...


Thanks, I'd been wondering what the reference was. In a way that weakens my case. If its just an Easter egg and artistic license, it doesn't have to be a gobwin at all. It could be a gnome, or some other random thing we'll never know, or even a human with some harsh signamancy. I still like the idea of a gobwin city or side somewhere though.



Well couldn't a king/overlord promote a natural ally to heir? And then when on the throne that gobwin/troll/ elf/ whatever could pop heirs who could (like Wanda) happen to be casters?
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
User avatar
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 pm

The last panel made me feel happy. However I have a question for the USA members of this forum - what does roast groundhog taste like? Or is it better braised?
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:45 pm

BCCroaker wrote:However I have a question for the USA members of this forum - what does roast groundhog taste like? Or is it better braised?

Um....what? Im so...I don't even...what?
You know that on Groundhog Day, we don't actually EAT a groundhog...it's not like Thanksgiving being "Turkey Day"
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes I know that, still a goundhog is a beast and I'll bet there are frontier recipes for it.
0beron wrote:
BCCroaker wrote:However I have a question for the USA members of this forum - what does roast groundhog taste like? Or is it better braised?

Um....what? Im so...I don't even...what?
You know that on Groundhog Day, we don't actually EAT a groundhog...it's not like Thanksgiving being "Turkey Day"
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 81

Postby benthehater » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Nnelg wrote:
benthehater wrote:I think Stanley was actually trying to say "boop". I think this might hearken back to Parson successfully getting the curse out at the end of Book 1. I makes me wonder about that act, how Parson's vocal defiance to the laws of Erfworld might be reverberating throughout.

Gee, ya think? [/sarcasm]


...

Thanks. I felt there was something special in Stanley trying to say a word that he'd never actually heard before. Or perhaps Parson shouting it making the concept of it mentally contagious to anyone around him even though he was alone and unobserved when he said it. Or that "fuck" is actually an incantation to a spell. Or similarly that "fuck" and other words that got booped out were verboten because of genuine consequences that might come from uttering them.
benthehater
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests