Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 036

Postby balder » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:53 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 036

Postby kravechocolate » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:04 pm

First post ever!

Plants vs Zombies, I love it! Be careful of the booby-trapped lawn-mower!
kravechocolate

Postby Nimelennar » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

kravechocolate wrote:First post ever!

Aren't the plants and the zombies on the same side here though?
Nimelennar
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:19 pm

1D6 is laughable? Bogroll had 12 hits, and he was a heavy, which looks to be a large increase.. I'm thinking that defence soaks.

And it looks like Combat isn't damage, and damage isn't shown by the 3D glasses.
cheeseaholic

Postby Zeku » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Uncroaked means that Wanda is the figure in the tower!

Jillian knows what a die roll is!

Someone in Haffaton is bored enough to play a tower defense game!

A level 2 city can be razed for over 9000 shmuckers!

This episode is cute and appropriate but does not actually make any sense!

Unless it does, which means that what we are seeing here are actual shenanigans!
Last edited by Zeku on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeku

Postby Whispri » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:21 pm

In the extremely unlikely event that Jillian's assessment of Haffaton is accurate, what reason is there to attack them? Non-evil reasons I mean.

As for the battle, she's far too confident, this is just the first line of defence, the second row of plants alone, well with plants vs zombies as the inspiration...

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if Haffaton are taking bets on how far Jillian and her cronies get.

Nimelennar wrote:

Not if they've just interrupted a wargame of some sort.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby balder » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Zeku wrote:A level 2 city can be razed for over 9000 shmuckers!

Retconjuring this now to 8500. I had asked for some research help in the IRC channel when writing this episode but I never got someone to nail down what I'd said about razing cities. Wrong time of night to ask, but they're helping now. Jillian razes a Level 3 Jitterati city for "almost 20K" so a level 2 is probably around half that.
balder

Postby Whispri » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:53 pm

That Haffaton banner... the similarities betwen it and the livery future era Wanda uses... Well it's short of her actively still fighting in Haffaton colours, but it's pretty boopin' close. In fact, if it wasn't for future era Wanda having to use Stanley's banner, I'm not sure there'd be a difference.
Last edited by Whispri on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whispri

Postby MonteCristo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 am

Y'know i kinda think that maybe Faq should have tried to do some work for Haffaton... Assuming that joining haffaton for mercenary work would not immediatly expose Faq's location, they could have used the merc work to not only keep the treasury boosted but also gather info on haffaton so that they figure out its borders and such without any fear of engagement. Plus if/when haffaton found them, they would be in a position to possibly get into an alliance or pact with haffaton due to their good business history together... it would not be a lasting solution, but it would atleast buy Faq some time before haffaton ends them.

Zeku wrote:This episode is cute and appropriate but does not actually make any sense!

Unless it does, which means that what we are seeing here are actual shenanigans!

What doesn't make sense?
I can see a number of possibilities about this update
First it shows the negative effects of what happens when a side grows too big; it becomes so unsustainable that they can not afford adequate defenses for some of their cities. Second the text is an interesting look into Jillian thoughts on haffaton and their fated situation. Third this could be leading Jillian to getting lulled into a false sense of security which will lead to a mistake in the near future. And then there is the name diecast, as in "the die is cast" which basically means that they have reached the point of no return; attacking this city could be what sets off the course of events that will lead to haffaton's fall, wanda's turn to faq and the eventual fall of faq
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:31 am

Alea Iacta Est.

What's most interesting about that phrase, in my opinion, is that Caesar actually said it in Greek.

Whispri wrote:In the extremely unlikely event that Jillian's assessment of Haffaton is accurate, what reason is there to attack them? Non-evil reasons I mean.

Oh, just the fact that they control -what was it? About ~50% of known Erf? [/exaggeration] It's in everyone's interest to take out a Side that ridiculously large.

And I can't believe I didn't see the "Plants vs. Zombies" thing coming...

Although, the fact this reference was made now makes it less likely we'll see a direct battle between Wanda's and Olive's minions in the future.
Last edited by Nnelg on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:41 am

That sure sounds like Wanda's emblem. What kinda crazy stuff did she do there?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 am

Whispri wrote:In the extremely unlikely event that Jillian's assessment of Haffaton is accurate, what reason is there to attack them? Non-evil reasons I mean.

As for the battle, she's far too confident, this is just the first line of defence, the second row of plants alone,

Just thinking out loud here. Why all the angst about Haffaton? We know who conquers Faq. Stanley does. Well, Wanda (who will be from Haffaton), does too, but it wasn't Haffaton's army. Jillian, Wanda, somebody is going to beat Haffaton. They're going to win the engagement with Haffaton, but loose the war.

Eventually. To Stanley and Wanda working together.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:53 am

Diecast didn't take my mind to alea jacta est, but rather to the method of making metal toys, as in diecast Tonka toys...
LTDave

Postby StClair » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 am

Optimus Primal: "It's a lost art." :)
StClair

Postby vintermann » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 am

As for the battle, she's far too confident, this is just the first line of defence, the second row of plants alone, well with plants vs zombies as the inspiration...

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if Haffaton are taking bets on how far Jillian and her cronies get.

Nimelennar wrote:

Not if they've just interrupted a wargame of some sort.

Seems unlikely. One possibility is that Wanda is in the tower, has already turned, and the poor zombies about to be dusted by Bart are actually allied. Friendly fire seems to be quite possible in Erfworld
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ftl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:36 am

Interesting.

This could be how Haffaton maintains all these cities. The plants are hippiemancy constructs, the zombies are croakamancy - none of that takes any upkeep, perhaps.

They're weak defenses, sure, but this means Haffaton HAS defenses in every city! For free! While they're no match for Jillian's WRECD force, she's sort of a special case, and the defenses are probably strong enough to hold out against random barbarians or minor incursion groups.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby kagato23 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:05 am

Whispri wrote:That Haffaton banner... the similarities betwen it and the livery future era Wanda uses... Well it's short of her actively still fighting in Haffaton colours, but it's pretty boopin' close. In fact, if it wasn't for future era Wanda having to use Stanley's banner, I'm not sure there'd be a difference.

It could go the other way as well... I doubt it looked like that before Wanda was on the side. It could be that HER livery is affecting her side.

cheeseaholic wrote:1D6 is laughable? Bogroll had 12 hits, and he was a heavy, which looks to be a large increase.. I'm thinking that defence soaks.

And it looks like Combat isn't damage, and damage isn't shown by the 3D glasses.

Defense is almost certainly directly related. Also, we should remember that bogrol was a garrison unit, and by how he was treated before Parson, not one of any great repute. It's likely he was level one. Higher level warlords and beasts probably can take a lot more damage.
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23

Postby MonteCristo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:10 am

Well as Jillian pointed out, because they are no longer doing mercenary work, Faq's treasury is beginning to dwindle and WHEN it gets too low Banhammer will begin giving out disbanding orders; meaning units will loose their lives... So Jillian, by razing this city is essentially trying to save the lives of her people by giving them as much time as possible in hopes they can find a solution before disbanding starts. Furtharmore, Haffaton is not exactly a side that's worth much pity considering how they have destroyed numerous other sides already and use such dirty tactics as poisoning people with a viper's kiss after a PEACE negotiation. Not to mention that Jillian has been told that Haffaton WILL destroy her side which would give her reason to strike first. Hell as it turns out, so far all the defenses seem to be plants and uncroaked meaning no sentient units are even loosing their lives against Jillian's group... So i can't really see how this is an evil action.

ftl wrote:This could be how Haffaton maintains all these cities. The plants are hippiemancy constructs, the zombies are croakamancy - none of that takes any upkeep, perhaps.

They're weak defenses, sure, but this means Haffaton HAS defenses in every city! For free! While they're no match for Jillian's WRECD force, she's sort of a special case, and the defenses are probably strong enough to hold out against random barbarians or minor incursion groups.

Can't recall where, but i am fairly certain that Uncroaked do have upkeep, just that it's low.
Can't be sure about the plants... on the one hand i would assume every unit other than the decrypted have atleast some upkeep; but the plants could be a special exception as they could count more like tower defences or something like that... though I'm leaning towards them probably counting as garrison units and having a low upkeep.
Last edited by MonteCristo on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby kagato23 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:11 am

Whispri wrote:That Haffaton banner... the similarities betwen it and the livery future era Wanda uses... Well it's short of her actively still fighting in Haffaton colours, but it's pretty boopin' close. In fact, if it wasn't for future era Wanda having to use Stanley's banner, I'm not sure there'd be a difference.

It could go the other way as well... I doubt it looked like that before Wanda was on the side. It could be that HER livery is affecting her side.

cheeseaholic wrote:1D6 is laughable? Bogroll had 12 hits, and he was a heavy, which looks to be a large increase.. I'm thinking that defence soaks.

Defense is almost certainly directly related. Also, we should remember that bogrol was a garrison unit, and by how he was treated before Parson, not one of any great repute. It's likely he was level one. Higher level warlords and beasts probably can probably take progressively more damage. Armored ones especially. one thing that hasn't been fully covered yet is how equipment affects units, which I'm sure it does. I'm not sure if Parson's glasses necessarily showed the units innate stats, or their stats based on equipment at a given time. I'm I would imagine, for example, Jillian does more damage with her sword then she could with her knife, all other stats being the same. But would the glasses show her combat score as static either way, or would it change depending on her equipment at a given moment?
Portal X Parson OTP!
kagato23

Postby mortissimus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 am

Nnelg wrote:Alea Iacta Est.

What's most interesting about that phrase, in my opinion, is that Cesar actually said it in Greek.

Of course, he was not a barbarian was he?

Or quite possibly he did not say it at all, it just got tacked on for coolness.
mortissimus

Next

Return to Reactions