MapTool

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

MapTool

Postby Alcazabedabra » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:48 pm

I know a lot of the readers of ErfWorld are the kind of guys that love wargaming, and wish they had the mind of Parson Gotti, though I'm sure you could pass on his good looks.

Well, hell, it's time we start gamin' it, right?

The discussion has raged before, but I hope I'm bringing something new to the table with MapTool.

I've used this for D&D, and it is really designed for that, but the fact that it gives you a configurable square -or- hex map and doesn't impose any rules of its own, rather letting the DM run everything, makes it perfectly adaptable to an Erfworld ruleset.

It allows you to draw, using its very basic drawing tool, or add objects on four separate layers makes it a very versatile tool. The layers are; Token, on which PC's, NPC's, etc. would be placed; Hidden, which is only visible to the DM; Object, on which objects interactable with the Tokens would be placed and; Background. Non-interactable fluff.

The game also allows the use of vision blockers and fog-of-war, and adapts its drawing tools for use with vision blocking. Creative use of vision blockers can lead to some pretty interesting maps, when it comes to gaming them.

Anyway, I hope you'll take a look at it, and perhaps when we've got a coherent Erfworld rule book, we can find a way to use it with this cool little open-source app.

Ciao, and thanks for listening
~ Alcaz
Alcazabedabra

Re: MapTool

Postby t_catt11 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Interesting! A decent mappint tool - that doesn't require a semester at your local community college before you can figure out how to use it - is always a valued item. I look forward to playing with this thing.
t_catt11

Re: MapTool

Postby malekith » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 pm

how long ago did i post this? *sigh* i suppose it was in a different section iirc.
it is a great tool and i'd be willing to lend a hand to get erfworld running in it.

M
malekith

Return to Your Games