Book 2 – Page 82

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 82

Postby Magentawolf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 am

pearl jam wrote:I like the fact that muscle guy's tattoo can change expressions. :D

Oh, damn.. that's his arm.. no wonder that scene wasn't making any sense. From his posture and the direction of his head, he looked like he was carrying around a giant slug like the other caster with a groundhog. >.>
Magentawolf

Postby Kreistor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 am

I like Ivan Poddubny for Strongman, crossed with Freddie Mercury:

http://ejmas.com/jalt/punjab/Poddubny.JPG
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby fehler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 am

The Dick Tracy guy looks to me what a Findamancer should look like. He could be former Unaroyal Spencer. Or he could be the Findamancer who assisted in forging the "Summon Perfect Warlord" spell.

If he's Spencer, then the only unaccounted Unaroyal Caster is Changamancer Bowie, who could be any of the three positioned next to Jojo.
fehler

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

I think it is now clear that Parson HAS to go through the Portal. Previously it was technically an option for Parson to go with the Thinkamancers, but if JoJo is telling the truth, I'm not sure even the Great Minds would be able to protect Parson from all of the MK.
Of course it's possible JoJo is lying.
And in either event, we definitely know this has become a one-way trip for Parson. There's no way he'll be able to return to GK City via the MK at a later point.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby rlc » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 am

fehler wrote:The Dick Tracy guy looks to me what a Findamancer should look like. He could be former Unaroyal Spencer. Or he could be the Findamancer who assisted in forging the "Summon Perfect Warlord" spell.

If he's Spencer, then the only unaccounted Unaroyal Caster is Changamancer Bowie, who could be any of the three positioned next to Jojo.

Spencer: For Hire?

Yeah, yeah, that was "Spenser", but close enough.
rlc

Postby Vorteks » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 am

Ahhh, Stanley. Always such a clueless leader.

I imagine this page was a TON of work for Xin to draw. Thanks Xin!
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:40 am

Magentawolf wrote:
pearl jam wrote:I like the fact that muscle guy's tattoo can change expressions. :D

Oh, damn.. that's his arm.. no wonder that scene wasn't making any sense. From his posture and the direction of his head, he looked like he was carrying around a giant slug like the other caster with a groundhog. >.>

I too thought it was a giant slug :)
Jay

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 am

fehler wrote:The Dick Tracy guy looks to me what a Findamancer should look like. He could be former Unaroyal Spencer. Or he could be the Findamancer who assisted in forging the "Summon Perfect Warlord" spell.

Pretty much has to be Spencer (Tracy/Dick Tracy?), since he's with Jeftychew.. If he was the Summon Warlord findamancer, he'd be stacking up with the thinkamancers, not with the carnies.
Jay

Postby Kyrt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 am

Morni wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
Azukar wrote:Well, time for the Roll Call. Who are these new casters - I don't recognise a single one.

Dick Tracy, Jeftichew, Sean Mattox and the archetypical moustachioed Carnival Strongman is simply familiar...

I've did a quick google search on Sean Mattox and didn't find nothing.

and the girl with Jettifew, i'm not sure who she is either

Zatanna....I think.

And Sean Mattox is the guy who got his face used due to Kickstarter.
Kyrt
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 am

Oh, come on... this standoff has already gone on for a dreadfully long time. I don't mean to be slanderous, but this is "action" on par with all the council meetings and galactic senate meetings in The Phantom Menace.

There, I said it.
Last edited by DevilDan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am

I can agree with DevilDan in a way. To some readers (myself included to a degree) this kind of "action" is important, because I feel like we're getting bits and pieces of info that will all of a sudden make sense in a near-future update and answer a lot of questions. Also, this "action" seems to be progressing slowly just because we had a long hiatus, and we only get updates once a week now. I haven't actually counted it, but I believe there are a relatively small number of updates showing Parson in the MK.
By the same token however....this is dragging on a little bit and I do sympathize with more action-oriented people because I want to see Parson finally DO something. Every second he talks, the more casters he has to deal with.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 am

Oh, I'm sure that there will be a payoff, and you'll normally find me on the side of respecting the author's intent and decisions, which is why I waited this long to complain (and, yes, I know my comment is simple whinging). But whatever exposition is being done could be handled in a different way. For example, an expository lump of eyebook notes would not be unreasonable given that Parson would conceivably have time to do that since he's been standing around long enough for thinkamancers to show up, then Jack, then Wanda, then Jeftichew and his group, and now Maggie. Is that what's been accomplished?

I know that the action feel slower because of the frequency of updates, but I still count eight pages *after* Jeftichew's pacification.
Last edited by DevilDan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Mathamancer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:00 am

Magentawolf wrote:

I...uh...saw something other than a slug on my first impression.
Mathamancer

Postby teratorn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:41 am

I fear for Stanley. If Charlie is going to try something next turn, no dwagons, no casters (tower defenses are useless), no high-bonus chief warlord...
teratorn

Postby Suitesned » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

I'm just worried something is going to happen to GK now that Parson and all the castors are not there. It is the perfect setup for Stanley to get croaked and then have a division among Parson and the castors as to what to do next.
Suitesned

Postby Saladman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Teratorn, Suitesned: I didn't think so at first, but actually with Jillian's air force in the field in GK's territory, its possible she and Charlie could pull something together. I'm not sure Charlie would trust Jillian for that right now, but he pretty likely does have some line on MK gossip, so might well know the score.

In any event I got a sinking feeling when Maggie said she could help. I think she's calling this one exactly backwards, still thinking she can talk people down, and she's going to walk into a battle low on juice and single-stacked.
Saladman

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Saladman wrote:In any event I got a sinking feeling when Maggie said she could help.

Ditto :/ I commented a few updates back that I was worried for Maggie because of Stanley....now I fear we'll lose her anyway despite the fact she survived Stanley's wrath.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GJC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Suitesned wrote:I'm just worried something is going to happen to GK now that Parson and all the castors are not there. It is the perfect setup for Stanley to get croaked and then have a division among Parson and the castors as to what to do next.

I don't think so. Charlie has put a lot of effort into staying behind the scenes, he doesn't want to attack outright. While I'm sure he has contingency plans, he would need quite a few archons to take the very heavily defended GK. I don't think he has 100 archons on standby within a turn's move of GK's capital.

And sure, sure, the capital doesn't have any casters right now, but those can probably be recalled if things get really dangerous. And Parson himself has a bonus, of, like, 2. That's okay, and can make a huge difference, but if Charlie really wanted to pull out all stops to wipe out GK, I don't think Parson's bonus would save the day. And if Charlie cabn't pull out all stops, I don't think he'd attack at all.
GJC

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm

I believe that Charlie combined with Jillian COULD pull out all the stops to take out GK City. I don't recall if he is technically on turn right now (not sure if he is allied with the RCCII anymore) but if he is, taking out GK City (and Stanley with it) could be a game-ending move.
The question of course is WOULD he? And I think there are a few reasons he won't:
  • Stanley probably has the schmuckers to appoint an Heir Designate.
  • GK can probably take the City of Spacerock
  • If both of the above occur, then GK can survive with a new Capital and come out not much worse for wear, meaning Charlie loses
  • If either of the first 2 does not occur, then GK is crippled or destroyed...and Charlie wants Parson alive.

So whether Charlie succeeds or fails, he "loses" either way. That's why he won't attack GK City.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Salem » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Things could be getting interesting though.
Would Stanley who is now flush with resources in his capital appoint an Heir at the moment of his demise?
Is that even necessary?
Aren't caster's spared the death of their side when they're in the MK, like they all are right now at this moment.
Could the condition of Spacerock allow them to claim it and form thier own side, is that even possible considering Parson's weird status as warlord/caster/stupidworlder?
Would they join Jillian?

I mean I think right now Rob has done the opposite of painting himself into a corner as far as the story is concerned he seems to have so many options. I mean I think this is the most honest heartwarming smile Stanley has ever had cross his face. He could change, he could change just to die. What I can't tell is if he was saying the good luck was motivation or the threat was motivation. Judging by his expression I'd wager the threat was the false thing he said to offer motivation.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions