Erfworld-esque game

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Erfworld-esque game

Postby partywhipple » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Anyone know of any strategy type game like Erfworld for the PC? Perhaps available via Steam?
Best not to line your walls with mercenaries...
partywhipple

Re: Erfworld-esque game

Postby Justyn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 am

partywhipple wrote:Anyone know of any strategy type game like Erfworld for the PC? Perhaps available via Steam?

Look into the Warlords series; or if you prefer the FtP route, look into Warbarons.

http://www.warbarons.com/
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby depricated » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:12 am

I'm a huge fan of the game Elven Legacy. It's a turn-based strategy game, hex-grid. Your units can level up, you have heroes, etc. It's sort of Might and Magic meets TBS. Very enjoyable game. It's $5 on Steam.

Actually, I have to thank you for prompting me to check. Looks like there are 3 new expansions since I bought it (when it was released), also $5 each. The collection (all 4) is $15. I recommend checking out the videos of it, it might be just what you're looking for, or it might not.
depricated

Postby Nnelg » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Two classic series of the Genre I've heard of are "Age of Wonders" and "Heroes of Might and Magic". Also I think I've heard of an old game called "Master of Magic" or something.

Sadly (as far as I can tell) it's a genre well past its prime, but if you dig around you might be able to find some of the classics as abandonware. If you want to try running them you'll need an emulator, I recommend DOSBox.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby partywhipple » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 am

Thank you all!!!
Best not to line your walls with mercenaries...
partywhipple

Postby Impyre » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:03 am

http://wesnoth.org is the homepage of a very fine game. Units don't stack (in the vanilla version*), but the game is hex-based and utilizes heroes and units. Even normal units can level up, be renamed, and be used from one battle to the next. The vanilla version has several very well developed quest-lines.

Battle for Wesnoth is completely open-source and very easy to mod. (I once used mechs for units)

Development is ongoing... it's not a dead community or game. Also, it has been around for years.

Due to the fact that it is free, open source, well developed, old code, and well maintained... it is highly moddable. There are tons and tons of mods and quest packs out there, so you can play it again and again... and if you start to get bored, try out a new mod, quest, or multiplayer game-type. There are dozens of active servers up 24-7 hosting a number of games at any given time.

*vanilla means un-modded (for anyone who doesn't already know)
Impyre

Postby drachefly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 am

Wesnoth is minimally like Erf. Very minimally.

It's based on small-unit tactics, played over a strategic-scale board.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld