Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:30 pm

The Colonel wrote:How did Triage's conversation with Junetta go?

Results of Triage, Vinny, and Junetta's conversation
Junetta confesses that she hasn't been outside the elven domain; she's usually sent to help recapture lost elven cities as part of the immediate counterattack, which is where she gained most of her experience. She still shows a strong distaste for uncroaked - that hasn't changed - but she confesses that she's starting to see the wisdom in using them in place of living troops. Every uncroaked that is killed is a sword, spear or arrow that didn't strike down a living unit.

She compliments Triage on his rapid rise in skill - in a few short turns, he has actually become a better healamancer than she is. She mentions that he may want to consider exploring some Flower Power as well - calming a powerful unit completely prevents their damage more effectively than wards, in her opinion. Shockamancy might also appeal to him, she suggests, now that she hears he's managed to rack up a few kills on his own.

She also compliments Vinny on his choice of wardrobe, and comments that it makes him stand out significantly from the normal Tenebrisian colors. She wonders if he has an ideas for a new set of rainments for her; perhaps the casters could work together to create some sort of striking uniform.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Could someone link me to an image of Junetta? Vinny perked up excitedly at her mention of applying his craft with her.
Also, my BF is reading over my shoulder and finds it hilarious that the gay guy is getting complimented on his character's wardrobe.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Junetta and Wandereus are listed in the NPC section of the Reference thread, just under the PCs.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks Marbit.

The next day, Vinny seeks out Junetta to discuss her Raiment. "I've been thinking about our discussion yesterday and I'm just full of ideas! I was especially considering what you said about Tenebresian colors, and the relationship between Healomancy and Flower Power, and I had a revelation. On my journey to this city, I saw these little flowers in this one hex, and they were the most vibrant red. The same color as our livery, and of the blood your magic preserves. It just occurred to me last night that this could be the perfect way to create you new Raiment that represents both our side and you.
This of course got me thinking about colors in general, and I felt that adding more white to the outfit would help set you apart and make you feel more like yourself. So, long story short, I came up with this..." Vinny unrolls a bit of parchment with a fairly detailed sketch on it and lays it on the table in front of Junetta, and then pulls out a short length of white fabric embroidered in gold with vines and red flowers. "I was hoping you might like the look of it, and I could start working on making it a reality with your input.

Junetta.png
Junetta.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 626 times
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Junetta examines the sketch. "It's lovely, Vinny, but my Breatheairian rainments were all white, and that color just seems... foul to me now; appropriate more for skeletons than for garb." (OOC: Junetta's and Wandereus' first appearance can be seen here: (click).) "The red and gold make a nice combination, but I think something darker for the skirt might be more appropriate."
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:53 pm

"That's not a problem, pardon me if I caused any unpleasant memories." Vinny pulls out another roll of parchment "What color would you prefer then? The black of your present gown would go nicely with the red and gold, or grey as well. If you prefer more color, we could use a dark burgundy or even a deep purple."
Vinny begins to sketch as he talks, displaying each color as he say it.

Junettaplum.png
Junettaplum.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 539 times

Junettagrey.png
Junettagrey.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 539 times

Junettaburgundy.png
Junettaburgundy.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 539 times
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Exate » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:41 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:For turns 6&7, this means we'll pop a leader and 3 dancing archers (beefy for the spare AP) before we can send an uncroaked to get more accurate stats on the enemy and finalize production orders for 8 &9. Anyone see any problems with this idea?
Just highlighting this in case others missed it. Your Chief Warlord has proposed a course of action and asked for your feedback. If there are no objections, I'll advance 2 turns by end-of-day tomorrow based on this and post the Breatheairian army's stats so you can make final preparations.
I think Support is fairly essential for line archers, more so than Beefy; it lets them combine shots very easily to massively boost damage and successfully pop hardened targets.

MarbitChow wrote:Wandereus can fill in some details about the Breatheairian Chief Warlord. She's a high-level Heavy Archer named Romanaveratnalunda, a fierce leader and dancer and one of the most beautiful creatures in the kingdom. She rides an winged Fryahovar into battle, one of the unique creatures that Breathearia can pop.
MarbitChow wrote:Heavy ... rides ... Fryahovar
What is this magical creature type that allows heavies to ride, and where is the nearest city that we can conquer to pop them for us?
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Could be really advanced Dollamancy
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 pm

0beron wrote:Vinny begins to sketch as he talks, displaying each color as he say it.

Junetta responds, "The purple skirt is excellent for Court... perhaps you could combine the top and gloves using the red you've shown in the other sketch with that?"

MarbitChow wrote:What is this magical creature type that allows heavies to ride, and where is the nearest city that we can conquer to pop them for us?

I was wondering how long it was going to be before someone commented on that... Since Beasts can level, I'm bouncing around ideas for abilities for them to purchase. One ability that will be available at either 4th or 5th level (and costing at least 3 AP, maybe more) is to be able to upgrade from Mount(X) to Transport(X), so they can have heavy riders. So, short answer is, you've already got 2 creature types that will be able to do so, if you can keep them alive long enough to level that far. Mounts make great protection for your weaker units and more valuable units, and high-level mounts will be rare, which sets up the dilemma: use high-level mounts to protect weaker units, or dedicate them to transporting heavy assault units?
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:07 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Junetta responds, "The purple skirt is excellent for Court... perhaps you could combine the top and gloves using the red you've shown in the other sketch with that?"

"Like so?" Vinny queries, not entirely sure he understood her suggestion, but rather liking his most recent sketch based on what he thinks she meant.
Junettarequest.png
Junettarequest.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 513 times
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:12 pm

T. Coil IS a heavy assault unit!
ETheBoyce

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Triage inquires with Vinny about the possibility of redesigning his garb to look completely third-party (that is, he could plausibily claim to be a mercenary from the MK or some other such type), He suggests in particular blue or teal with silver trim.

He also thanks Junetta for her suggestions and also asks what she intends to take as her next spell.
WaterMonkey314

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:Triage inquires with Vinny about the possibility of redesigning his garb

Vinny nods, beginning to brainstorm ideas even as he is stitching together Junetta's new garments. "I'll do up a sketch as soon as I'm finished here"
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:16 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:He also thanks Junetta for her suggestions and also asks what she intends to take as her next spell.

Junetta shrugs. "I'm not even sure I'm going to live through the next fight. In the past, I've let the Chief Caster decide. I'm surprised the King hasn't assigned one for our side already, but then, I'm still not sure I understand what he meant when he said that he may grant Wandereus and me 'free-will' if we perform loyally and true."

Turn 6
1 Garrison Warrior with Leadership and 1 Garrison Archer w/ Dance Fighting + Beefy pop. T. Coil completes charging up the first Ickypron spell on the Towers, and starts a TwoGeeOneCee. Triage is able to apply Ward to 7 units. (Triage will be able to ward a total of 21 units prior to turn 9 and still have full Juice for the fight. Junetta will use Minor Ward on the remainder. She will also be able to spend her remaining juice crafting Renew or Minor Ward potions, depending on whether anyone goes without Minor Wards. Note also that the Heck Pups, 3 of the Kitties, and the Turn 9 Dis Garrison cannot be pre-warded, so if they are warded when the fight begins, it will be subtracted from the healers' available Juice that turn.) Vinny can craft a total of 6 more cloaks, after which (I assume) he'll hand the Stewart's Rod back to Bill.) Bill prevents Normal Decay on the uncroaked. Bill uncroaks another marbit and sends it out to spy on the the Elves. Faith casts Crypsis on the unit, to allow it to hopefully survive a little longer and get a complete scouting report.

Dis City
Towers: 18 (of 18) Energy, Ickypron, partial TwoGeeOneCee (2 of 25 Juice), 1 spell slot empty

Turn 7
2 Garrison Archers w/ Dance Fighting + Beefy pop. T. Coil completes charging up the TwoGeeOneCee, and starts on the 2nd Ickpron. Triage is able to apply Ward to 7 units more units. Vinny crafts 2 more cloaks. Bill prevents Normal Decay on most of the units in the city. The uncroaked (except the scout) suffer Extended Decay. The Imps detect the Elven column, although it is slain in the process. The undead is guided to the column, and is also slain in the process, but not before Bill is able to gather the following stats:

Spoiler: show
Armolad - Archer {Level 5} [ 11 Combat / 11 Defense / 34 Hits. Fire, Quick-shot. Special: Leadership, Improved Leadership, Dance Fighting, Beefy] { Ward-16 }
Amandaria : Fryahovar {Level 3} [ 18 Combat / 20 Defense / 60 Hits. 14 {24} Move. Strike. Special : Beast, Heavy, Mount, Mighty Blow x2, Dance Fighting ] { Ward-16 }

Elves (x8) : Archer { Level 2 } [ 10 Combat / 3 Defense / 14 Hits. Fire. Special: Support, Coordinate, Dance-Fighting, Might Blow x2 ] { Ward-16 }
Elves (x8) : Archer { Level 1 } [ 7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits. Fire. Special: Support, Coordinate, Dance-Fighting ] { Ward-8 }
Gumptions (x8) : [15 Combat / 15 Defense / 60 Hits. Strike. Special: Mighty Blow x3, Siege(2) ] { Ward-16 }
Faeries (x16) : { Level 1 } [ 4 Combat / 4 Defense / 8 Hits. Fire. Special: Objay Dart] { Ward-8 }
    Objay Dart : Faery Fire attack inflicts an additional 1 Hit damage that ignores defenses.
Altruistic Elves (x8) : { Level 1 } [ 0 Combat / 5 Defense / 4 Hits. Special: Healing Touch, Dying Cry]
    Healing Touch - Any adjacent friendly units heal 8 Hits at the start of each round.
    Dying Cry - If slain by an enemy, every member of the Altruistic Elf's side in the hex gains a +2 Combat / +1 Defense Inspiration Bonus until the start of their next Turn. Dying Cry Inspiration Bonuses are cumulative.
Elves (x16) : Spearmen { Level 1 } : [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 20 Hits. Strike. Special: Beefy, Guard, Interpose, Bodyguard] { Ward-8 }
Elves (x12) : Warrior { Level 1 } : [8 Combat / 5 Defense / 22 Hits. Attack. Special: Dance Fighting, Well-Armed, Beefy] { Ward-8 }
Elves (x4) : Warrior { Level 2 } : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 27 Hits. Attack. Special: Dance Fighting, Leadership] { Ward-8 }

Bill believes that there may be equipment on Armolad, and possibly the leaders as well, but the scout is discovered and croaked before he could confirm this.

Dis City
Towers: 18 (of 18) Energy, Ickypron, TwoGeeOneCee, partial Ickypron (9 of 37).

Turn 8
(Popped Units To Be Determined.) T. Coil completes charging up the first Ickypron spell on the Towers, and starts a TwoGeeOneCee. Triage is able to apply Ward to 7 units more units. Vinny crafts 2 more cloaks. Bill prevents Normal Decay. Bill raises any additional uncroaked he wants to have ready for the fight on this turn, I assume.

Dis City
Towers: 18 (of 18) Energy, Ickypron, TwoGeeOneCee, Ickypron.

Turn 9
(Popped Units To Be Determined.)

The Dis City Defense Force (minus 4 units still to be determined):
The garrison units have grey bases. I'll update the Reference section with the complete unit list once the final popped units have been determined.

Begin Final Preparations For Seige
Please determine the final 4 units that Dis will pop, what cloaks Vinny will craft and who they'll be allocated to, who receives Triage's wards vs. Junetta's, whether any potions are created, whether Bill will create any additional uncroaked on Turn 8, who gets mounts, whether any of the units arriving on Turn 9 get wards, and what all your units' starting positions will be. See the Reference Section for Dis City interior and exterior layouts. Note that Naughty Kitties can climb to the top of the towers if desired; each tower has room for 3 mounts, and casters can trigger the tower defenses while mounted.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Cloak Requests being served on first come basis as usual.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ETheBoyce » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:44 am

T. Coil would like a Fire Cloak, also all the non-used juice he has will go to making a Juice potion, but since that's only like 5 juice it's not really worth having finished.

The upcoming battle itself doesn't look like it should be too difficult. Tod Provides a +2 bonus to all units in the hex, and a +7 bonus to all units in his stack. If I'm in his stack this gives me an effective combat of 20 which is hilarious and will be devastating. I think the other casters should focus on using juice and spells from the tower to take out the enemy fliers as they appear as their harassment could become most...annoying, however the archers will be our biggest concern. I think we should devote all our ranged resources to taking them out ASAP. I plan on Hobobarbieing Armolad, and 2 level 2 archers every round for the first three rounds that I can, however I also plan on being out of LOS of the ground until Armolad appears and just shooting apart enemy fliers.

Edit: I'm also going to suggest that I be heavily protected by Brickbats and a Mount and Brick Wall, though It makes sense to also have Will be next to me/my mount so he can also be protected.
ETheBoyce

Postby Exate » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 am

0beron wrote:Cloak Requests being served on first come basis as usual.
I'm thinking that we need Fire cloaks on all our leadership units that don't already have them.

ETheBoyce wrote:The upcoming battle itself doesn't look like it should be too difficult.
Looking at our force composition I tend to agree; our enemies have underestimated us here. The question in my mind is mostly how we can defeat the enemy in detail while minimizing our own casualties and/or capturing as many enemies as possible- note that with Junetta on our side, we'll hopefully be able to Space Out two of the enemy units at the end of the battle and capture them by default- the enemy leader, his mount, or some of the Gumptions would all be great choices for assimilation. Even if we end up needing extended persuasion, it's probably better to keep them in a dungeon and work on them for a while than croak them on the field.

Those Altruistic Elves could be a bit of a problem; their abilities are obviously designed so that you don't want to kill them, but also don't want to leave them alive. That said, because of how the timing works as long as we kill the Altruistic Elves after all other units on their side have taken their turns we should be able to avoid taking ill effects from the Combat bonus, at least.

The Archers have Support and Coordinate, which is going to be very nasty. If they use that, Dance Fighting, and proper formations they'll be able to one-shot our higher-level units almost effortlessly until we can somehow defeat their archer formations, and without area attacks or comparable strength amongst our own archers it seems to me that we've got a formula to lose whatever important people show their faces. Taking out the archer blocks will have to be priority one, I think.
Exate

Postby ETheBoyce » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 am

The one thing I'm uncertain about is how leadership/Dance Fighting interact with Mighty Blow et. al.because the archers Defense Score is only 3 meaning they can only use Mighty Blow once out of their base score; in addition at least 3 of them should die each round just From Cupid and Will alone, Factor in Rolf on a Ballista and our own archers and Hobobarbie and we could well take out the entire level 2 stack in the first round; not that I think it's all that likely.
ETheBoyce

Postby The Colonel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 am

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

LEVEL FIVE!?!?!?!

i don't even..

UNDERESTIMATED US!? IF THIS IS THEM UNDERESTIMATING US, I DON'T WANT THEM TO PIN US!
The Colonel

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 am

WaterMonkey314 wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Dis popping orders
Wandereus can fill in some details about the Breatheairian Chief Warlord. She's a high-level Heavy Archer named Romanaveratnalunda, a fierce leader and dancer and one of the most beautiful creatures in the kingdom. She rides an winged Fryahovar into battle, one of the unique creatures that Breathearia can pop. The wings indicate that the Fryahovar is at least 5th level - the beasts don't pop with flight, but gain it with sufficient experience. Breatheairia actually has two distinct city types, since they chose not to convert several of the Farkistan cities, whose units were similarly align. Former Farkistan cities can pop Gumps, Gumptions, and the dreaded Gump Roast, a fiery death-dealer. Breatheairian cities can pop Faeries, Fryahovar (four-hooved creatures with a sharp horn) and Fae Done-aways, dwagon-like creatures with a number of unique abilities. Wandereus has never seen most of these creatures, so he cannot provide accurate stats.

From this, and the Thinkagram image of a Warlord on an unwinged Fryahovar, I take it that Romana is not leading the attack on us?

OOC: Can she self heal? :P

OOC No, Romana is not leading the attack on us...that would be Armolad, not that we've been able to find that out, or have we Marbit ?...or maybe we will so I don't metagame by omission
see the following interlude for meta information

Berfore I forget... big shout out to you Marbit for the amount of work you're putting into this to keep us all entertained. Much appreciated !

Edited to Note that I posted this before reading page 72 and all the stats on Armolad...at least I know they're not meta info now :D /OOC
Werebiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games