Summer Updates – 023

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 023

Postby Simons Mith » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Perhaps that's the real reason why we haven't got a picture to go with this particular update...
Simons Mith

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:39 pm

It might be a reference to City of Heroes.
You know, Zhopa Twoll = Supa Troll (Super Troll).
Fiendishrabbit

Postby Batman1016 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Since "Bogroll" is a term for toilet paper, and is also a semi-anagram of "balrog," a monster from LOTR, I imagine that BOTH possible references - "Super Troll" and "russian for butt" - are entirely possible and deliberate. It's a double-entendre!
Batman1016

Postby Xorbon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm

I found it odd that Parson didn't get his regular "happy meal"-type food, and is instead getting regular food. I wonder if it's a side effect of his recent demotion from Chief Warlord.
Xorbon

Postby jestyr7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I'd simply guess Parson is going on a brief fact finding mission: take enough food for the day (and potentially night), leave the hex (a small test), and then the real test - if he can walk back when it isn't 'his' turn.
jestyr7
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mt_head » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:26 pm

I'd just like to reiterate/clarify a couple of the previous points: "Zhopa" is not Russian for "butt" - that word would be "popa", or (even cuter) "popka", "popochka", etc. Those are words a little kid can use and not get in (too much) trouble. "Zhopa" is "ass" used in its rudest, most pejorative sense; it doesn't literally (anatomically) mean "asshole", but its weight as an insult is equivalent. "Zhopa" can mean something poorly made, or of inferior quality; it also means "the middle of nowhere."

Not all Russians routinely use mat' (Russian generic term for bad language; literally "mother" - you can guess why) but those who do are some of the most creative cussers on the planet; think of all the ways/places we use the word "fuck", and then multiply by five or so.
mt_head

Postby raphfrk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:Parson is in terrible shape, so I think 30 miles in one day may be out for him. Also I think Turns are actually variable numbers of hours. That's a game world mechanic right there. If it were possible to just not end a turn, I think Parson could walk for quite a distance.

During the battle, Parson says that if Stanley ends the turn early, they are "hosed". This could just mean that there is a standard/normal amount of time turn, but it is based on custom rather than rules.

However, if you were a Ruler and you knew you were going to die next turn, wouldn't you leave the turn run for as long as possible? The fact that this doesn't seem to happen also implies a max turn duration.

I think Parson has two types of "stats": those that were given to him by Erfworld, and those that just reflect his own natural abilities. For example: Parson's stat of being level 2, and a +2 bonus to troops as warlord. That was probably given to Parson when he arrived at Erfworld. OTOH, things like Parson's move stat reflect his own physical condition. This could change if Parson gets in better shape.

Also, I wonder if units have both Move and inherent speed. During the donut stage, both Ansom and Jillian were moving towards the lake.

It may be that Move just means (max speed)*(max turn duration).

However, I wonder if units can be moved in sequence and still get max move. If Vinnie sends out bats, do the waiting units still keep all their move, like in turn based strategy games.

SteveMB wrote:So far, Parson's perception seems to track to "one turn" = "one day". If this parallel is subject to breaking down (for example, if a turn where nothing much happens except that some new units pop while existing units get their upkeep goes by much "faster" than a turn where a battle is going on), it should be fairly obvious in the first few post-tBfGK turns.

That would be interesting, I wonder if it breaks his sleep cycle. Also, units seem to sleep at night, but I guess that would be "normal" for units.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 am

Deleting Deletism and retconning in retconjuration. Well, that made me laugh, very hard. Thanks Rob and Jamie.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby cservant » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:52 am

raphfrk wrote:However, if you were a Ruler and you knew you were going to die next turn, wouldn't you leave the turn run for as long as possible? The fact that this doesn't seem to happen also implies a max turn duration.

Agreed. I'd also exploit this as much as possible, if you don't have to end turn. And if Parson CAN walk as much as he wants without ending turn, a quickie exploit I'd think would be use it as recon. Parson would be spotted but opposing units can't do anything, since not their turn, and no attacks. It will be silly if this was the case.

Oh yea, the 30 miles bit is for an average person for whole day, including rests. Parson's not average, he won't make the 30, but I think moving a couple hexes within a turn is quite reasonable.

Xorbon wrote:I found it odd that Parson didn't get his regular "happy meal"-type food, and is instead getting regular food. I wonder if it's a side effect of his recent demotion from Chief Warlord.

I think his prize drop has ended.
cservant

Postby moose o death » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:41 am

conversely who said he didn't get a stupid meal, he's taking a picnic lunch with him and a twoll is preparing it to some extent which sounds more like this is just foraged upkeep rations NOT his popped upkeep.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby OneHugeTuck » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:45 am

Would one get popped rations if one foraged? As foraging reduces upkeep costs, it makes sense that the savings would result in null poppage.

Or do you have to -eat- the foraged rations for Erfworld to know you don't -need- upkeep rations popped.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby raphfrk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:38 am

cservant wrote:Agreed. I'd also exploit this as much as possible, if you don't have to end turn. And if Parson CAN walk as much as he wants without ending turn, a quickie exploit I'd think would be use it as recon. Parson would be spotted but opposing units can't do anything, since not their turn, and no attacks. It will be silly if this was the case.

They could attack him if he entered the same hex as them. He would need to stay close to the zone boundary.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Gez » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 am

Werekat wrote:I... I have to ask. Did you name the Twoll "Butt" in Russian on purpose, or is it just a coincidence?

Rule of linguistic: any word you can come up with that seems reasonable (i.e., not something like "jlfdsknfeswnbsdlnrlkubnilufdinibdniobnbitfhniubuib") has a meaning in at least one of the languages spoken on Earth. Exempli Gratia: in Oblivion, people who read French can explore the ancient ruins of Panties.
Gez

Postby KiltedNinja » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 am

Gez wrote:...any word you can come up with that seems reasonable (i.e., not something like "jlfdsknfeswnbsdlnrlkubnilufdinibdniobnbitfhniubuib")...

...Sounds like an Erfworldian version of a rather innocuous Welsh village... :P
...And Erfworldian rings phonetic similarity bells with Edwardian... *shrug*...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:41 am

I'm sure Parson is still getting food popped... the question is whether the perfect warlord spell is still providing him with items or information.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby LordDarksea » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Fiendishrabbit wrote:It might be a reference to City of Heroes.
You know, Zhopa Twoll = Supa Troll (Super Troll).

Or, considering the twoll is in charge of the garrison, should that be 'supper twoll'... ;)

(sorry)
LordDarksea

Re: Summer Updates – 023

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 am

Wow! I just saw the updated art for this. That's fantastic!

P.S. Erfworld does Luche Libre? Hmm, needs some twolls who name their attacks and have LL moves. I know it's probably supposed to be more WWF than LL, but after watching too much ¡Mucha Lucha! on Cartoon Network, I'm a LL fan now. :D
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Prometheus » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:30 am

I thought Twolls only had one eye. Is/was that just Bogroll, then?
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Yeah, early on in the strip, there was a troll with three skeletons that Jillian hit before she got captured. He had two eyes too. I think it was just a Bogroll thing.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby balder » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:18 pm

AHAHAHAHA! This one has to go in bug reports. Harknell wrote a script to create a forum post when a Summer Update goes up, and updating the guest art apparently triggered it. :lol:
balder

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions