Book 2 – Page 86

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 86

Postby balder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 86

Postby Beeskee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:57 am

I thought all wounds healed at dawn? It seems a little odd that Chewie had so make some special arrangements for Sylvia to heal.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 am

Beeskee wrote:I thought all wounds healed at dawn? It seems a little odd that Chewie had so make some special arrangements for Sylvia to heal.
Incapacitated units that aren't healed normally croak.
MarbitChow

Postby Justyn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:06 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Beeskee wrote:I thought all wounds healed at dawn? It seems a little odd that Chewie had so make some special arrangements for Sylvia to heal.
Incapacitated units that aren't healed normally croak.

Depends on the type of incapacitation, but yeah.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 am

Wow, some people really do want to see the world burn, don't they? Wonder what Jeftichef's trade was.

Personally, I hope fate catches up with Lady Sylvia, she seems a bit too eager to tempt it. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that this plan to burn the garrison is at least as dangerous as the plan to take down the tower.

Lateral thinking hasn't led to good results for Erf natives so far, has it?
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Berserkas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 am

That is... um... wow.

Carnymancers can do some FREAKY shit, man. Rigging the rules... and there are so many rules in Erfworld... so much potential for utter mayhem... all you need is imagination. Parson could use a carnymancer, methinks.

I wonder... are there rules that can't be rigged?

Also, nerf carnymancers! Seriously, what'd he do, make Sylvia immortal? (I know she died, but still). This is way better than any Luckamancy boost. It's a wicked crazy buff - especially considering it seems to be permanent, seeing how long ago that must have happened. Essential near immortality and people failing to kill you all the time.

I guess she died in GK that one time because Fate of GK winning was stronger than Jefftichew's rigging of fate.
Berserkas

Postby WarFAN » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 am

I think all this affair Jeftichew/Sylvia is just another of the -seemingly infinite- Charlie´s Special Ops:

- Secret Wars versus TGMtTA.
- King Saline IV´s natural allies rebellion.
- Wanda´s ambush for Stanley at FAQ, screwed up.
- Not gobwins natural allies for Gobwin Knob.
- Secret help to FAQ and (now openly) Jetstone.
- Jeftichew ambushing Parson at the Magic Kingdom to give him a Charlie-made scroll.

Seriously... I hope Charlie is about to be revealed as the main and only antagonist.

Because i think the only other option is that Charlie is being used only as a convenient tool to move the plot while leaving a lot of loops hanging around for future uses. Don´t you thing it´s becoming a bit tiring?

Sorry about my english...
WarFAN

Postby nobody » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 am

That was total win! A comic page full of Sylvia :D

p.s. Thanks to the writer, artist and supporters who make this web comic possible
nobody

Postby shamelessmerc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:11 am

"Oh dear... my designated superior is an omnicidal maniac with a death wish AND delusions of immortality. Not good. Not good at all."

I think it's a fair bet that Chewy traded something BIG for a fate realignment like that. Big enough to kill a kingdom perhaps?

In the words of the prequel "Zero is calling, and the price will be HIGH." It makes Wanda's fatalism all the more understandable.

Or, equally, Sylvia is just completely insane and sees every near miss as proof of her confirmation bias. In which case, anything that goes hidiously wrong won't make a dent either, because she will just think "It was fated."
shamelessmerc

Postby Raza » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

Berserkas wrote:That is... um... wow.

Carnymancers can do some FREAKY shit, man. Rigging the rules... and there are so many rules in Erfworld... so much potential for utter mayhem... all you need is imagination. Parson could use a carnymancer, methinks.

I wonder... are there rules that can't be rigged?

Also, nerf carnymancers! Seriously, what'd he do, make Sylvia immortal? (I know she died, but still). This is way better than any Luckamancy boost. It's a wicked crazy buff - especially considering it seems to be permanent, seeing how long ago that must have happened. Essential near immortality and people failing to kill you all the time.

I guess she died in GK that one time because Fate of GK winning was stronger than Jefftichew's rigging of fate.

Eh, you've read the same stuff about Numbers in book 0... even luckamancy, which superficially doesn't 'trade', has trouble 'cheating' to a net win. Titans know what Jefftichew paid for her de facto immortality, if that is indeed what he got.

Like the post above me pointed out, 'zero will be calling'... case in point, Sylvia stayed in the game well enough but changed sides in the process, turning around to wipe out the whole of her former kingdom. Sounds a lot like what happened with Wanda. Racking up numbers dept to invest everything in a single unit seems to result in the unit outliving the side, which makes sense at that.
Raza

Postby M.A.D » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 am

One word: CHEAT CODE!!!
M.A.D

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am

This is certainly an interesting turn of events. I think this panel accurately describes my thought on Sylvia right now.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby hajo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 am

Searching the garrison, they should find the body of Slately.

That should lead them to the conclusion that a heir has taken over.
The king having a double seems to be too unusual to consider.

The risk of the losing such an important 'prisoner' should prevent
that plan for burning the garrison.
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby Knight13 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am

Man, why is Captain Archer's armor so much cooler than everybody else's?
Knight13

Postby Lamech » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 am

vintermann wrote:Wow, some people really do want to see the world burn, don't they? Wonder what Jeftichef's trade was.

Personally, I hope fate catches up with Lady Sylvia, she seems a bit too eager to tempt it. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that this plan to burn the garrison is at least as dangerous as the plan to take down the tower.

Lateral thinking hasn't led to good results for Erf natives so far, has it?
Wait, you mean the plan that croaked a caster and a bunch of other units on the tower? And kept pressure on Jetstone? At minimal cost? That was a good plan.

shamelessmerc wrote:I think it's a fair bet that Chewy traded something BIG for a fate realignment like that. Big enough to kill a kingdom perhaps?
Well it probably gets bigger every time it has to turn a crit into a miss. So Sylvia's inane reliance on it probably is a really bad idea. Also if this is the power of carnymancy and the hammer has carnymancy... not good.

hajo wrote:Searching the garrison, they should find the body of Slately.

That should lead them to the conclusion that a heir has taken over.
The king having a double seems to be too unusual to consider.

The risk of the losing such an important 'prisoner' should prevent
that plan for burning the garrison.
Oh yeah, they should be able to force a surrender right now. The king is dead and Wanda is the only one who can save him. The duty of every Jetstone unit is to protect the king. Parson should be able to call up the dittomancer and say "come to the MK and invite us into your city. We'll decrypt the king and take command of Jetsone!" Of course, Parson is too busy with his character development.
Lamech

Postby Kreistor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 am

I haven't laughed that hard at the end of an Erfworld comic in a while.

The fanboys got their background on Sylvia, finally.

So Sylvia seems to have seriously warped since decrypting. This Sylvia would never have complained the way:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F117.jpg

that Sylvia did.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby drachefly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:20 am

Sylvia, in the flashback is wearing a zero. She, apparently, has been paid for.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby The Minx » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am

I don't think Chewy did in fact make her immortal. He just prevented her from croaking that first time when she got burned. She certainly croaked when Gobwin Knob got burned down, otherwise she wouldn't have become decrypted. And all those other times she got away from death (like from all of Artemis' arrows missing) were not due to her incapacitation rules being rigged.

We don't know what the trade was or what it entailed, but as far as we know it might only be healing or something like that, not super Fate powers. At least, until we know more about it.
The Minx

Postby Nnelg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 am

Wow, a double whammy on character background. Also on Erfworld general background, because it shows how much freedom casters have to use their juice however they see fit, even in ways that aren't very beneficial for the side.

Also, Lady Artemis gets her first visual appearance, albeit posthumously. But the events surrounding her death are cast in a new light by this strip's revelations. I wonder which caused her arrow to be deflected: Fate or Jojo's "Trade"? Or both?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby enkidu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am

Captain Archer's outfit reminds me of Archer in Fate/stay Night (manga/anime): https://www.google.com/search?q=fate+st ... 0&bih=1075
enkidu

Next

Return to Reactions