Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 041

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 041

Postby balder » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 041

Postby Azukar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:12 am

So... Here come the "this is Olive!Wanda" theorists again? "We are as patient as trees, here" indeed!

edit: Worth specifying, but I'm not one of them. I think Wanda is in a pretty dark place right now, though.

Also, what is her Duty?
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Whispri » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:17 am

Why not just eat her own hand or something? It would grow back at the start of Haffaton's next Turn. Or her clothes, she could eat her clothes.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BCCroaker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 am

Since Faq wasn't destroyed by Haffaton and Wanda goes to live there, the assumption would be, despite what is going on at the moment, Jillian turns Wanda. It may that when Jillian finally talks about Faq, Wanda will realize there is a bolthole to run to and so turns herself. I feel that, dramatically, this should somehow link into the fall of Haffaton and the demise of Olive, but I can't think how at the moment.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 am

Meta-interpretation of recent Erfworld events:

* The fans like Sylvia, so the author promoted her into a more important figure in the story (this is canon, as I recall). In-game, this is retroactively shown to have happened by a carnymancer fiddling with her fate.

* We are eager for updates, story progression, finding out what happens. So the author tortures us with another update with just more torture :D
vintermann

Postby hajo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 am

Azukar wrote:Also, what is her Duty?

Maybe rebuiding the trap(s) in that city Jillian had razed ?
Or mopping up some other intruder that was spotted...
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby roninpanda » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am

Since the beginning, Jillian and Wanda's relationship has been very S&M but Rob's really getting into the extended torture now! So much so, that I really wonder if he's been reading "50 Shades of Gray" lately. :twisted:
You are in what may be the worst, most Titans-forsaken place in all of Erfworld,” said Judy. “This is the Olive Garden.”
roninpanda

Postby Lamech » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 am

roninpanda wrote:Since the beginning, Jillian and Wanda's relationship has been very S&M but Rob's really getting into the extended torture now! So much so, that I really wonder if he's been reading "50 Shades of Gray" lately. :twisted:
No, Erfworld still has good writing.
Lamech

Postby Kandarin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 am

"Clean your plates for me!" reminded me of "I need sleep, go up to my quarters and get some."
Kandarin

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:00 am

"Bart Lightrail"... somebody's been to the Bay Area...

http://www.bart.gov/guide/index.aspx
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 am

vintermann wrote:Meta-interpretation of recent Erfworld events:

* The fans like Sylvia, so the author promoted her into a more important figure in the story (this is canon, as I recall). In-game, this is retroactively shown to have happened by a carnymancer fiddling with her fate.

* We are eager for updates, story progression, finding out what happens. So the author tortures us with another update with just more torture :D

So true.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Castamir » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Whispri wrote:Why not just eat her own hand or something? It would grow back at the start of Haffaton's next Turn. Or her clothes, she could eat her clothes.

That eating clothes idea sounds interesting. Of course, only assuming there'll be relevant artwork beneath the comic. :twisted:
Castamir

Postby bladestorm » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Not a lot of plot movement, but quite a bit of character development. Jillian, in a time of need, finds comfort in something she vehemently hated before. It brings up a parallel in her assuming her place as Ruler of Faq rather than Faq's lost daughter parading around as a barbarian mercenary. The livery for Faq has changed under her rule, but will she reinstate some of the stuffy court practices that she professed to despise?

There were many speculations that this update would be a turning point for Wanda, but now it seems it is a turning point for Jillian.
bladestorm

Postby splexis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:15 pm

vintermann wrote:* The fans like Sylvia, so the author promoted her into a more important figure in the story (this is canon, as I recall). In-game, this is retroactively shown to have happened by a carnymancer fiddling with her fate.

You misspelled retcon as r e t r o a c t i v l e y s h o w n (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity).
splexis

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm

splexis wrote:You misspelled retcon as r e t r o a c t i v l e y s h o w n (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity).
(Yay! Semantic Argument!) I was under the impression that that recon applied only to changing or reinterpreting events that were previously established. Filling in details that had not been established at all before is just back-story, isn't it? Does anything (other than tone) in the latest Sylvia update contradict anything that was previously established?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby splexis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm

bladestorm wrote:There were many speculations that this update would be a turning point for Wanda, but now it seems it is a turning point for Jillian.

I speculate that Jillian will save Wanda from her current depths of deep dark dank dire disillusioned despair (or whatevs), and further that this rescue will be the impetus for Wanda to defect to FAQ.

Also, I don't get the Jillian haters. For that matter, I don't get the Trem or even Stanley or Slately haters. I can understand a character being someone one doesn't like (that'd actually be most of them to me), but I am almost always interested in how their stories pan out. But some of the vitriol in the forum discussions* seems pretty misplaced in a web comic.

*Not specifically calling anyone out in this thread… just making a general observation after a few years of reading.
Last edited by splexis on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
splexis

Postby splexis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:33 pm

MarbitChow wrote:(I was under the impression that that recon applied only to changing or reinterpreting events that were previously established. Filling in details that had not been established at all before is just back-story, isn't it? Does anything (other than tone) in the latest Sylvia update contradict anything that was previously established?

Weeel, in a meta sense, I think reasonable people could argue that Sylvia's being a major character was a reinterpretation of her established role as a minor character. Hence: Rob retconned the significance of Sylvia's role within cannon to placate her vocal and growing fanbase.

Mostly I was just being a brat, though. ;)

EDIT: dropped a misplaced "not."
Last edited by splexis on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splexis

Postby Sixty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:11 pm

I wouldn't say that was a retcon, more like Sylvia being promoted to mauve shirt http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MauveShirt
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 pm

splexis wrote:I speculate that Jillian will save Wanda from her current depths of deep dark dank dire disillusioned despair (or whatevs), and further that this rescue will be the impetus for Wanda to defect to FAQ.

I speculate against. In fact, I'm pretty damn sure what's going to happen. Spoilering it, that's how sure I am.

Spoiler: show
Wanda will succeed in torturing all information out of Jillian. Why shouldn't she? She always did later. However, rather than passing this information on to Olive and her ruler, she keeps it for herself, and keeps Jillian alive. She has extremely low loyalty to Haffaton, learning about the bubble kingdom of Faq she starts dreaming about a better life. She doesn't turn right away, but at one point, she gets some sort of sign that she interprets as fate commanding her to betray Haffaton and be the poison pill she promised to be (possibly Jillian deliberately arranges this "sign" somehow, after getting to understand Wanda's fatalism). Banhammer is quite shocked and considers immediately disbanding her, but Jillian talks him out of it. Wanda is submissive and philosophical enough to eventually gain his trust.
vintermann

Postby Lamech » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Sixty wrote:I wouldn't say that was a retcon, more like Sylvia being promoted to mauve shirt http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MauveShirt

More like being assigned explicit plot armor. Made from the plot armor of real protagonists.
Lamech

Next

Return to Reactions