Summer Update - 024

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 024

Postby Secret » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:14 pm

OMG So Alisa did this page's art?!
I found out about her sometime last week I think(maybe before that) and her art is really amazing! ^_^
I'm look forward to seeing the other artists too.
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:27 pm

I always assumed that this was a regular picnic, perhaps with some ulterior motives but still a one-day trip. Why else ask for a basket instead of a pack?
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby cloudbreaker » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:37 pm

It seems to me that the first thing Parson is trying to figure out is if he is really a garrison unit or not. Hence why it might be a short trip. From there, if he isn't a garrison unit, he will probably try to figure out if he has a limited amount of move. And finally, he may try moving through hex boundaries when it isn't his turn. Those are my guesses anyway.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Alisa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm curious what folks think about the new art :)

Erk, you don't have to pimp your friend.

For reference, I wasn't trying to copy Jamie's style. I was trying to capture the characters in something that was still me....
http://www.alisachristopher.us/sketchbook/stanley.jpg is an example I showed Rob that was even more SuperDeformed than what I did, but I felt for the summer updates it would be better to do a sort of compromise between the originals and that.

I did enjoy drawing the Hamtard tho.
Alisa

Postby BarGamer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Alisa wrote:http://www.alisachristopher.us/sketchbook/stanley.jpg is an example...

Saved to hard drive. Wow, Stanley looks... cute! <_<;

Could you do a Marbit or Gobwin next?
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:12 pm

The more I think about it, the more those empty picture-perfect houses give me the chills. It's almost like a cargo cult or like the model houses built to test the effects nuclear explosions ("Dummies!").
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Erk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Alisa wrote:
I'm curious what folks think about the new art :)

Erk, you don't have to pimp your friend.

Nah but I was genuinely curious.
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I commented on the art at the bottom of the last page.

DevilDan wrote:Very cute update, I suppose, which is matched by the artwork.

To expand, the playful and almost jovial nature of the conversation is nicely matched with the relaxed and even happy look of the two casters and by Parson's purposeful, "tally-ho!" striding. Parson almost seems a bit more at ease: I suppose he has multiple reasons to feel as if a weight has been lifted from his shoulders.
DevilDan

Postby GenuityX » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 pm

For reference, I wasn't trying to copy Jamie's style. I was trying to capture the characters in something that was still me....
http://www.alisachristopher.us/sketchbook/stanley.jpg is an example I showed Rob that was even more SuperDeformed than what I did, but I felt for the summer updates it would be better to do a sort of compromise between the originals and that.

I did enjoy drawing the Hamtard tho.

I just have to say that you are very good! I'm a little jealous, but I hope we can see more of your stuff in the future!
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby Infidel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:33 am

It's very wierd that today I just noticed my a wierd vibration come up through my gas pedal while making a hard left.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby zbeeblebrox » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 am

moose o death wrote:to clarify wrong i meant off model. certainly closer to on the models than i can do
in fact i tried exactly that based on one of the aftermath pages for parson and the new toolbox wallpaper for ansom
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/937971/parson-ansom.jpg
parson is closer than ansom by a longshot but both need work.

cloning another artists technique is never as easy as it looks

for those interested the image was made in z brush of all places. a new plugin was released that allows you to paint on a more 3d canvas allowing the grain to show through. the results look so much more natural for digital ink than photoshop gives

But what's the fun of having guest artists if they're all trying to stay on model? That's the best part - seeing other peoples' interpretations! :D
I like the scratchy lines, by the way. It goes well with the more realistic contours.
"The rumors which surround me are myriad, you know. Myth and legend, wild speculation, paranoid suspicions..."
- Charlie, in reference to the forum members
zbeeblebrox

Postby mortissimus » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:08 am

Remember what the Tool said:
"And we're not even sure you've got move, right? You'd need to be promoted from garrison unit... No, I think for the time being, I'd like to keep you right here in the capital where I can mentor you." Stanley gave him a smile and a finger point. "You've got potential, kiddo. I really mean that. I think we could shape you up and turn you into a real champion."

So now Hamster is going to find that out. And probably test the movement rules a bit. Interesting.
mortissimus

Postby Chaos Kitty » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:39 am

I thought Parson looked a little like he'd lost some weight. I mean, I can actually see some neck under those jowls.

Guest Artist, huh? I always find slight deviations from artistry I've gotten used to to be a bit jarring; so much so that I can pinpoint most of the deviations from the previous artist's style. Then again, I just have to get used to it. It's a good drawing. ^^

Also, if Parson's a Garrison unit, would he even be able to leave the city? Would Sizemore and Maggie be able to leave either? I'm vaguely interested in seeing if Parson breaks a few of the rules of Erfworld in the next couple of updates.
"What do you do when you see a rampaging and terrified bear? Most people figure "run." Rhoslyn, on the other hand, figured "I'm going to go feed that bear some cocaine."
— Rosa Vernal
Chaos Kitty

Postby raphfrk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:38 am

mortissimus wrote:So now Hamster is going to find that out. And probably test the movement rules a bit. Interesting.

What he could try is to move over and back along a hex boundary. This would allow him to consume 1 move every 10 seconds.

Ofc, he needs to be careful, as if he has move, then he could be trapped outside overnight.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:17 pm

this is how charlie gets him....
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby GenuityX » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:35 pm

I guess I have a hard time thinking of the turns. This would have to be movement during the turn, right? Or could it be considered a free action? This could also so be very definitive of how bound to Erfworld's metaphysical laws Parson really is.
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby CecilThoreau » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:35 pm

moose o death wrote:this is how charlie gets him....

Hmm, I think not. Much too important for just a summer update. This'll probably just end with Parson learning some new rules.
CecilThoreau

Postby DevilDan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:05 am

If no one is at war with GK now, I suppose their turn extends to the entire day?
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:36 am

i think the turns are always as long as you need them o be. it's just when at war, or someone is sharing your battlespace, the day doesn't end until all sides have finished their turns.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Re: Summer Update - 24

Postby davesnothere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:As a proud Alumnus of the Ohio State University, I feel like I totally have a connection with Parson right now. Though a few things are off. I mean, no matter who the opponent the Horseshoe filled every one of its 100,000+ stadium seats which creates an "invasion" of crowds, vendors, scalpers, and other odd characters. Playing Michigan just intensifies it a bit more. ...

As a proud alumnus of University of Michigan (BS CompEng '77), I have done the trip once, many moons ago.
I guess that makes me an invader.
I couldn't remember whether we won that game, but I just found a wikipedia page documenting the rivary. :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_%E2%80%93_Ohio_State_rivalry
The years I was there we split the Columbus games.

Dave.
davesnothere
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions