Is there going to be an Erfworld game?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Is there going to be an Erfworld game?

Postby Serbaysia » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Hey guys,

Looking for a few new games

First off, i've been a fan for over a year now and I was wondering if any of you have any information about Erfworld being an actual game? I love all of the cute dwagons and all of the rich flavor and oddamancy caster classes but I didn't see anything more about it being a game. Also does anyone know about the http://www.boundlessrpg.com? I heard a couple of guys talking about it in a shop when I went on vacation, but again no info! Arrrgh!

Any help please pm me!
Serbaysia

Re: Is there going to be an Erfworld game?

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Many of the forum members are working on games which are "reverse engineered" from the comic, or at least thematically inspired by it. You can find these in the "Your Games" subforum. Rob has entertained the idea of creating a gaming test-bed of sorts in the new website that was funded by surplus from the Kickstarter campaign, but this is looking to be quite some time away. But in various ways, Rob definitely seems to encourage us to be creative and make our own games for community use.
As for Rob himself, I don't know if he has plans to eventually publish the game in some complete form. If he does I expect it is quite some time away, as I doubt he'll release it before the comic is complete.
Hope this info helps :)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm

... Are you a particularly clever bot my good sir? Just to be sure.
Lamech

Postby drachefly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 am

You don't need to be a bot to advertise your product in a thematically relevant forum.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Serbaysia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am

god - I hate the internet,

All I wanted was to know if any one new anything about two games - the one that MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ON THIS SITE, and another that there is no other information on...

yeesh
Serbaysia

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Serbaysia wrote:god - I hate the internet, All I wanted was to know if any one new anything about two games - the one that MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ON THIS SITE, and another that there is no other information on... yeesh
Please don't take offense, Serbaysia, and welcome to the forums! I'll confess that your initial post seemed a bit like a tailored ad to me as well, and I'm glad to see it's not. The forum was plagued by ad bots for quite some time in the past, so we're still a bit defensive around here. There aren't any official Erfworld games, but as 0beron pointed out, there are a number of unofficial fan-created ones running, [shamlessplug] including my own [/shamlessplug]. If you're interested in joining one or starting your own, the "Your Games" forum is the place to be.
MarbitChow

Postby Serbaysia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Ok, I won't take offense but just remember

10 years ago there weren't many gamer girls, now there are more, and ten years from now there will be a lot more, but they will only play with other gamer girls

Serbaysia

Postby drachefly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:54 pm

1) This is doubtful. I know girls who like to play with guys.

2) Your screen-name and topic were gender-neutral, so if you're attempting to deduce gender bias here, well, none was present.
drachefly

Postby Lamech » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Serbaysia wrote:Ok, I won't take offense but just remember

My apologizes. Those bots are getting ever better. I hope that one day, I would still not be sure if you were a bot or not.

To answer your question, there is no erfworld game although people keep trying to make one. You could join the fun. Maybe we could hammer out the rules of one. I think Rob has vague plans to create some sort of Erfworld game eventually, and the more people who beta test ideas the better potential Erfworld game we can get.
Lamech

Postby Serbaysia » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:14 am

Lamech wrote:
Serbaysia wrote:Ok, I won't take offense but just remember

My apologizes. Those bots are getting ever better. I hope that one day, I would still not be sure if you were a bot or not.

To answer your question, there is no erfworld game although people keep trying to make one. You could join the fun. Maybe we could hammer out the rules of one. I think Rob has vague plans to create some sort of Erfworld game eventually, and the more people who beta test ideas the better potential Erfworld game we can get.

Well I guess even a vague start is better than any, all I know is that it is turn basedish, with clever renames of fun sounding creatures...

I guess if I would make it id try to keep it simple first - like a board game instead of a roleplaying game.

Premise of the game is that all the players were friends drawn there by magic to be each sides new warlords and have to fight each other to get back out.

Units would just be cards you purchased, with casters and heirs being more expensive "cards"

Cards could be place face down on the board to move and fight to help represent those that have better scouting than others (those who cant see them have to move to into/next to them to do so) while other cards and abilities might let you look at face down cards (because you have the appropriate caster). Cards would all have the same movement until revealed (either from scouting or from a player wanting to use them better) and each team would have a set number of blanks to keep the enemy guessing as to your true movements/intentions

All the various stats of your units would be bolstered by your leadership (if any) as well as your casters, heirs would give you extra turns (hence the most expensive)

Board would be split into large "sections" with each player getting a section that connects to a central non-player controlled board (allowing for bigger maps when you have more players, or bigger maps just because you feel like it)

Since game is a board and the cards are paper (smothered in xins lovely art style and creating a unique atmosphere and player experience) - the game would be fairly easy to produce and cheaper - maybe add some basic plastic chips and/or markers for kicks. Lastly you could give each faction special rules, but for balancing reasons you could always make that an expansion or a separate game mode

Thats all I have atm - sorry i'm not the smartest bot in the roster
Serbaysia

Return to Everything Else Erfworld