Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 044

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 044

Postby balder » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 044

Postby wrecan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Lovely comic!! And another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Olive will not be happy about Jillian's escape (assuming this isn't all happening in thinkspace).

Next stop... the tables turn when Jillian returns and abducts Wanda, and the paper tiger that is Haffaton starts to crumble.
wrecan

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm

I doubt Jillian will successfully take the Capital. Wanda knows that a side with fliers, turns of practice staying hidden, and experience as mercenaries, now knows where the capital is and how poorly defended it is. If Jillian returns, it will be better defended or have a secret weapon defense.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

0beron wrote:I doubt Jillian will successfully take the Capital. Wanda knows that a side with fliers, turns of practice staying hidden, and experience as mercenaries, now knows where the capital is and how poorly defended it is. If Jillian returns, it will be better defended or have a secret weapon defense.

Assuming Wanda tells them of the danger.
cheeseaholic

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Hmmmm yes very good point.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BCCroaker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm

So this is the way Wanda finds Faq. Classic really, let a prisoner think they have escaped by there own abilities, then trace or use them in some way. Remember how much control Wanda had over Jillian in Book 1. Also, the boat may be monitored in some way - left there for just that purpose. However, what Wanda does with the information will be interesting as she has to see to her revenge and escape herself.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 pm

If Wanda is doing this to find FAQ, then it's definitely not a Thinkamancy thing. Jillian was REALLY pissed in Book 1 when Wanda used a full-fledged Suggestion on her. A level of pissed that suggests it hadn't gone that far before.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Wanda, the poison pill.

She can't act against her own side directly. But she CAN capture an enemy, torture said enemy, find out that she's an heir to some side within reach, and conveniently give her the tools she needs to escape.

I'm 99% sure that Wanda knew this was coming. The question is whether she did this to find FAQ herself, or to create a roundabout way for FAQ to find her.
Last edited by ftl on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Salem » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm

0beron wrote:If Wanda is doing this to find FAQ, then it's definitely not a Thinkamancy thing. Jillian was REALLY pissed in Book 1 when Wanda used a full-fledged Suggestion on her. A level of pissed that suggests it hadn't gone that far before.

Or a level of pissed that suggests a lover had broken a promise to her. Perhaps an oath she would never tamper with her mind again. Though it didn't seem THAT angry.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Unrelated note...what's with the hats? Wanda brought more than just uncroaked to Haffaton? :p
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Housellama » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Ooooh. An interestingly little nugget dropped very casually in today's comic.

You rarely saw self-powered vehicles—only a Turnamancer could make one

Turnamancy is the element of Motion on the Erf axis. The idea that they can make self-powered vehicles when that is the basis of their discipline makes sense. What intrigues me is that Turnamancers can do all those other things as well. I always thought of Erf as inanimate, but it seems that's it is a lot more than that.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ftl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Turnamancy, as in 'turning' wheels and gears.

Erfworld runs on puns. We've already seen how 'turn'amancy can be used to turn a unit to your side, and how it can affect game 'turns', and now stuff like paddleboats is also turnamancy.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Salem » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:18 pm

ftl wrote:Turnamancy, as in 'turning' wheels and gears.

Erfworld runs on puns. We've already seen how 'turn'amancy can be used to turn a unit to your side, and how it can affect game 'turns', and now stuff like paddleboats is also turnamancy.

BSamancy, I want to tuuurn this from crap into crapgolems. Bestmancy ever.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem

Postby effataigus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Loved it!

As a hard but brittle material, it would have perhaps made more sense to score the glass with the ceramic chip before punching it than to punch through the glass using it. My suspension of disbelief is restored when considering that this is Erfworld, however. Perhaps Jillian knew she could perform function "smash glass" if armed with anything with property "harder than glass", and there weren't any pebbles about for her to use before because Erfworld isn't that detailed. I mean the world, not the comic.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Housellama » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

ftl wrote:Turnamancy, as in 'turning' wheels and gears.

I can totally understand how it runs a paddlewheel. It grants Motion to Erf. It's the intangible things that it does (like game turns and unit loyalty) that I find interesting. I didn't think of those things as being on the Erf axis.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama

Postby effataigus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 pm

BCCroaker wrote:So this is the way Wanda finds Faq. Classic really, let a prisoner think they have escaped by there own abilities, then trace or use them in some way. Remember how much control Wanda had over Jillian in Book 1. Also, the boat may be monitored in some way - left there for just that purpose. However, what Wanda does with the information will be interesting as she has to see to her revenge and escape herself.

Nah, Wanda would never sneak around and invite a foreign agent to perform a sneak attack on her adoptive side's capital. Don't be silly ;)
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Housellama wrote:I can totally understand how it runs a paddlewheel. It grants Motion to Erf. It's the intangible things that it does (like game turns and unit loyalty) that I find interesting. I didn't think of those things as being on the Erf axis.
We've seen hints that 'turning' a unit might involve torture (Jillian complaining that the Turnamancer didn't know how to 'play right', IIRC). Torture devices that involve turning? The rack, perhaps?
MarbitChow

Postby Beeskee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Somehow, I feel that lying about a person dying was wrong, even if it helped Jillian escape.

Regarding the vehicles, it makes sense that a turnamancer can make those, in an Erfworld sort of way that we've all gotten used to. I don't think that extends to a turnamancer being able to anything if the word 'turn' can be squeezed in there somewhere.

So far, turnamancers can turn units, end a turn when linked to someone with an artifact, shorten the number of turns it takes to produce a unit, and now create self-powered vehicles that involve moving parts, plus whatever I have forgotten. Keep in mind too that those self-powered vehicles are probably slower and most definitely weaker than the large ships, that a city can pop plenty of crew (infantry) for in 2-3 turns. A lot of casters seem to be able to create some form of golem, pet, mount, or unit, so it seems reasonable. We haven't heard everything about Erfworld magic yet.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Beeskee wrote:Somehow, I feel that lying about a person dying was wrong, even if it helped Jillian escape.

Regarding the vehicles, it makes sense that a turnamancer can make those, in an Erfworld sort of way that we've all gotten used to. I don't think that extends to a turnamancer being able to anything if the word 'turn' can be squeezed in there somewhere.

So far, turnamancers can turn units, end a turn when linked to someone with an artifact, shorten the number of turns it takes to produce a unit, and now create self-powered vehicles that involve moving parts, plus whatever I have forgotten. Keep in mind too that those self-powered vehicles are probably slower and most definitely weaker than the large ships, that a city can pop plenty of crew (infantry) for in 2-3 turns. A lot of casters seem to be able to create some form of golem, pet, mount, or unit, so it seems reasonable. We haven't heard everything about Erfworld magic yet.

Turnamancers can: turn units, increase production, make self-powered items, and all for some degree of off-turn actions (movement at least). In addition they can perform all sorts of shenanigans when linked with other casters, like every caster type ever.

However, I suspect similar things could be accomplished with other magic types and some creativity. Hat magic for example could create an ever falling waterfall to accomplish similar results. (Maybe)
Lamech

Postby Nnelg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Interesting... Two questions pop into mind:

First, was there ever really a Kiln Kenny, or was he a complete fabrication?

Second, it seems a little too convenient that the only two ships in Haffaton's port that Jillian could crew by herself were specialized for sailing in two different directions. Even if it wasn't planned, Haffaton should be able to figure out which way Jillian was going based upon which boat she took.

MarbitChow wrote:
Housellama wrote:I can totally understand how it runs a paddlewheel. It grants Motion to Erf. It's the intangible things that it does (like game turns and unit loyalty) that I find interesting. I didn't think of those things as being on the Erf axis.
We've seen hints that 'turning' a unit might involve torture (Jillian complaining that the Turnamancer didn't know how to 'play right', IIRC). Torture devices that involve turning? The rack, perhaps?

Really, is it that hard to accept that the capabilities of a caster could be based on puns? :roll: :lol:
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Next

Return to Reactions