Turnamancer powers

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Turnamancer powers

Postby randomthought » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Can anyone explain the reasoning of Turnamancers making self powered vehicles ?
randomthought
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby ftl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:20 pm

They're powered by gears turning. It's a paddlewheel barge, I'm imagining it like having one of those huge turning wheels.

It's yet another meaning of the word turn. Or that's how I'm imagining it.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby No one in particular » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:08 am

"Turn the key."
"The engine turned over."
And yeah, spinning things turning, like paddles.

It's more wordplay. *shrugs*
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:03 pm

So would you say Turnamancers can build items that run on clockwork?

...Doesn't know how to play right indeed.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Housellama » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:16 pm

On a more serious note...

Turnamancy is the Element of Motion on the Erf Axis. The Erf Axis generally deals with things in the world, e.g. Stuff. Items are Stuff. Turnamancers can grant Motion to Stuff.

QED, self powered objects
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Stuffamancers deal with stuff... By your logic, Shockamancers shouldn't have flash attacks because it should just be motion+matter on erf(stuff) -.-
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Housellama » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:I'm pretty sure Stuffamancers deal with stuff... By your logic, Shockamancers shouldn't have flash attacks because it should just be motion+matter on erf(stuff) -.-

Not exactly.

To me, Erf represents the practical things, things of the world. Where Numbers deals with the mechanics and behind-the-scenes parts and Fate deals with the narrative of the world, Erf is the world itself.

Shockamancy is Motion and Matter on the Erf axis. The way I interpret that is tearing Matter apart. Granting Motion to Matter...whether it wants it or not. Stuffamancy is Matter alone in things of the world. So Stuffamany creates and modifies things. Dirtamancy deals with the literal Erf. Dollamancy creates Stuff that has a Fate (Golems, magic items, etc.) Dittomancy uses Numbers to duplicate Stuff that already exists.

Turnamancy would be Motion in things of the Erf. Hence it can't create things, but it can grant them motion. Thus, self-powered objects.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Lamech » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 am

Housellama wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:I'm pretty sure Stuffamancers deal with stuff... By your logic, Shockamancers shouldn't have flash attacks because it should just be motion+matter on erf(stuff) -.-

Not exactly.

To me, Erf represents the practical things, things of the world. Where Numbers deals with the mechanics and behind-the-scenes parts and Fate deals with the narrative of the world, Erf is the world itself.

Shockamancy is Motion and Matter on the Erf axis. The way I interpret that is tearing Matter apart. Granting Motion to Matter...whether it wants it or not. Stuffamancy is Matter alone in things of the world. So Stuffamany creates and modifies things. Dirtamancy deals with the literal Erf. Dollamancy creates Stuff that has a Fate (Golems, magic items, etc.) Dittomancy uses Numbers to duplicate Stuff that already exists.

Turnamancy would be Motion in things of the Erf. Hence it can't create things, but it can grant them motion. Thus, self-powered objects.

Hey, hey stop coming up with sane theories. Do you think this is supposed to be a bastion of good discussion? This is a web comic fourm.
Lamech
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 am

Housellama wrote:Shockamancy is Motion and Matter on the Erf axis. The way I interpret that is tearing Matter apart. Granting Motion to Matter...whether it wants it or not. Stuffamancy is Matter alone in things of the world. So Stuffamany creates and modifies things. Dirtamancy deals with the literal Erf. Dollamancy creates Stuff that has a Fate (Golems, magic items, etc.)

Dollamancy isn't stuff magic and cannot create things. -.- We also don't know enough about Shockamancy for you to be saying that's how it works. For all we know making magic items and machines is a universal feature of casting. What we do know is that you're wrong about Shockmagic, because flash spells run on gag boobs. It's like what Parson said about the four elements...
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby effataigus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 am

I'm pretty sure Erfworld magic users have two domains. That which is covered by their discipline, which I think Housellama described reasonably well, and that which can be considered alternate interpretations of the NAME of the caster's discipline in the English language in the modern meme sense.

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if turnamancers could, in addition to their normal duties, turn someone gay/straight, croakamancers could cast "plague of toads," and luckamancers could be surprisingly good college football quarterbacks.
Last edited by effataigus on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 am

*immediately changes my favorite school from Dollamancy to Turnamancy*
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby No one in particular » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Dollamancy isn't stuff magic and cannot create things. [...]


You're right, dollamancy can't create things. It can only create raiments, accessories, golems... but you know, not things. :p
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:58 am

Well that's the tricky thing that we haven't got clarification on. Everything Ace has made on screen has been fabricated from materials provided by Cubbins, so he in fact has NOT "made" things out of nothing. We've never seen him create a Golem, so hard to say how that works.

Edit: and Twolls, which have what could be described as Natural Dollamancy, also just fabricate things from existing materials.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby No one in particular » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 pm

That may not indicate much, as everything he's been shown creating has been made this turn.

If he'd been given more than a moment's notice, maybe Ace could've popped his accessories with the start of his turn, like how Parson's glasses and bracer came with his meal. It could be that dollamancers can use their juice to create more stuff on turn.

Then again, it's probably more likely that they need material to work with first (like a croakamancer needs a croaked unit and a dirtamancer needs crap).

All that being said, it's kind of missing the point. No one said dollamancers made things from nothing, only that they made things.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:23 pm

No one in particular wrote: No one said dollamancers made things from nothing, only that they made things.

I think people (mistakenly) assumed you WERE claiming that, given the different ways people would interpret the word "make". So dispute solved! :)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:37 pm

The hell are you two even talking about? Housellama listed dollamancy as stuffamancy along with dirt and ditto, and I was informing him that's not correct assuming the chart is even valid. Also bullshit semantics argument is bullshit.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Housellama » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:The hell are you two even talking about? Housellama listed dollamancy as stuffamancy along with dirt and ditto, and I was informing him that's not correct assuming the chart is even valid. Also bullshit semantics argument is bullshit.


Whoops! You're right. Dollamancy is Spookism, the Motion element on the Fate axis. My sincere apologies, my eyes must have jumped and confused Dittomancy and Dollamancy. I'm bad with charts for exactly that reason.

I'd interpret that as (as I said before) granting a purpose to stuff. Motion with Fate. Stuffamancy is right below that, and the Fate axis for Matter alone is Changeamancy. Changing the Fate of Stuff by changing one kind of stuff into another kind of stuff. No extra purpose like Dollamancy, because that would require Motion, just one kind of regular Stuff into another. Just as Dollamancy can't create Stuff out of nothing (because that would require Matter), but can take existing regular Stuff and grant it an additional purpose via Motion.

That sound better to everyone?
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Housellama » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 pm

effataigus wrote:I'm pretty sure Erfworld magic users have two domains. That which is covered by their discipline, which I think Housellama described reasonably well, and that which can be considered alternate interpretations of the NAME of the caster's discipline in the English language in the modern meme sense.

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if turnamancers could, in addition to their normal duties, turn someone gay/straight, croakamancers could cast "plague of toads," and luckamancers could be surprisingly good college football quarterbacks.

It's a universal rule of Erfworld that it runs on puns and references. I believe it's important not to confuse Function with Form. The two can overlap, but the references/puns (form) have to relate in some way to the discipline (function). It can be stretched to boop and back, but there has (thus far) always been some kind of logical connection between form and function.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. Shockamancers can use pantie shots to blind enemy archers. Explain that as Erf and Motion+Matter. The only way it would make sense is if it actually works a little like orgone energy, but...
Edit*
And on Turnamancy, we have no info on its "senses" like we have for Wanda and Sizemore, so I still say my clockwork orange reference is valid.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Turnamancer powers

Postby Nnelg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 pm

On Housellama's theories:

It might be worth noting that the Life/Motion/Matter-Erf|Fate|Numbers stuff is just Erfworlders' best attempt to classify the various branches of magic in a way that makes sense. It doesn't mean that, for instance, Flower Power can have nothing to do with Motion (case in point: the plant golems). It's just that such things are exceptions, rather than rules.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lilwik and 2 guests