Systems of Gaming?

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Systems of Gaming?

Postby Nerd_of_doom » Sat May 02, 2009 11:00 pm

To all the GITPers or new people to Erfworld.com...

Will there be Forum Games happening just like on the giant? If so, should we set up sub-forums, like what's on the giant, as well?

And, if we are to do PbP gaming on this site, will we also be using all of the systems on GITP, i.e. 3.5, 4.0, d20Modern, Maid, etc.? And will we be playing Erfworld?

I just figured I should ask, because I might actually be able to get into some games on this Forum.
Nerd_of_doom

Re: Systems of Gaming?

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun May 03, 2009 5:29 am

I would kill to get the rules and whatnot for erfworld and play it. That would be super sweet.
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby RebelWulf » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 am

I think i'd have to agree with Mika here. I would really like to get my hands on the rulebook if one is ever made :P
RebelWulf

Postby Nerd_of_doom » Mon May 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Agreed. If that ever happens, that is. Unfortunately, I'd bet good money on that not happening. :(

But it would be great, even if we don't ever get Erfworld, to still play other games on these forums, just like on GitP, right?
Nerd_of_doom

Postby Dr Pepper » Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 pm

I was thinking of running a game. Not Erf, just a regular frpg. But perhaps i could include some wargaming elements.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Mongoose Jungle » Tue May 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I think that would be most interesting to see as well as experience. What ever the case count me in.
Mongoose Jungle

Postby JohnnyEgregious » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 pm

And me too, perhaps?
I'm workin' on my thinkin' and I'm thinkin' it's improving.
JohnnyEgregious

Postby Dr Pepper » Wed May 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok, i'm going to adapt a setting that i've used before. A world that until recently followed a single religious system becomes bitterly divided as priesthoods each others dieties and powerful prophets rise. I designed it as a pure frp with the characters as individual adventurers trying to find the root cause of the conflicts. But instead i could let them be the factional leaders trying to eliminate each other. Victory does not require total military conquest, you just need to achieve spiritual dominance.

This will take a few days.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby depricated » Wed May 06, 2009 11:38 pm

They could totally market Erfworld as a game...I'd play. Hell, we'd probably all play.
depricated

Postby Marlowe » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am

As an avid gamer I'd be happy to add an Erfworld wargame to my collection.
Billy: "I want to be an achiever. Like Bad Horse."
Penny: "The Thoroughbred of Sin?!?"
Billy: "I meant...Ghandi."
Marlowe

Postby Djinn_in_Tonic » Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm

With all the responses here, the result seems pretty overwhelming...

Many of us are seasoned gamers, and some of us (myself included, I like to think) are seasoned homebrewers with a decent eye for balance. We come from a background of mixed RPGs and War Games, and each of us no doubt has a lot of experience in at least some aspect of either of those. Erfworld gives us a smattering of assorted rules here and there; not enough to really know how to play it, but enough to get an idea. So...why not see what we can do?

The gaming forums here are just starting up. Now would be a good time to assemble a group of people to head a "Erfworld: The Game" building team. Scour the comics, look for any rules mentioned or hinted at, take community input and combine it with our own ideas and experience, and see if we can, eventually, put together a single, functioning game that is as simple (rules-wise) as possible and as fun to play as possible.

I know I'm up for the challenge. Anyone else feel the same?
Ingredients

2oz Djinn
5oz Water
1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.
Djinn_in_Tonic

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu May 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Ok, this is freaky. I was looking over the setting i mentioned previously. I had forgotten that i named the chief deity of that world "Erfraa". However i am very sure he doesn't wear an Elvis costume.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby zeekgenateer » Fri May 08, 2009 12:11 am

I can't say I've spent a lot of time running games, but I'd love to help out with this. Let's get a list of all the people willing to pitch in and we can put a list of rules gathered from the comic in the forum and on the wiki.

Edit: One of the questions I just thought of was how would we integrate everyone in the forum into a wargame with a chain of command? Would all forum goers be on one side? separate sides? Groups for each side? This is getting me excited
zeekgenateer

Postby depricated » Fri May 08, 2009 6:35 am

I'd love to help out on this. I'm also a Programming student - if anyone would be interested in possibly pursuing that aspect of it.

And I think we could TOTALLY break the forum into factions :D
depricated

Postby JoseB » Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 am

Hello (recently joined the forum). I would say that the Erfworld "game system" reminds me a lot of Heroes of Might and Magic. Others here think the same?

What other systems does it remind you of?
Nobody expects the SPANISH INQUISITION!!
JoseB

Postby malekith » Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 am

Jose, Erfworld is a mixture of all the gaming systems you can think of. Get any nerd to name a list of 3 or 4 RPG/War games (TT/PC) and there'll be at least one aspect or core rule from each of them :D
On topic now,
I'd love to help out, I got a good background in games and enough intelligence to pull the strings of the game we have together (as part of the team obv.).
I don't know what I'd give to see any form of an Erfworld games around (Forum/PC/TT/PnP), so count me in.
Also I think we'd have to have usergroups/ranks for factions or one faction per user but either way is very easily integrated with this forum (I have experience in phpBB forums and can at least moderate it, wink wink nudge nudge mr admins).

Mal
malekith

Postby Djinn_in_Tonic » Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 pm

I suspect that breaking the forum into factions may not be the best idea, as I've seen what happened over at Wizard's of the Coast's Gleemax forum, and that devolved into far more rules/subplots/randomness than anyone really seemed to want. It would be very hard to control such a thing, unless it was formed right now, when there are few enough people that the sides could be planned ahead of time, to limit the availability of different factions.

As to the game, is there anyone who'd care to look through and find out what rules we already know, so we can best figure out how to begin such a project?
Ingredients

2oz Djinn
5oz Water
1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.
Djinn_in_Tonic

Postby zeekgenateer » Fri May 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Ok steps for this project

1. List of volunteers (to search a given range of comics for rules)
2. Thread with 1st post by someone who can be relied on to update the centralized rules. Replies to this thread with rules from their given range.
3. Based on the rules of erfworld and discussion between volunteers, how the forum should utilize the rules to make a fun and easily joined game. (must be flexible)
4. For a final poll to pick moderators/leaders that will help settle disputes for the game, with possible final ruling from Rob or Jamie (if they grace us with their guidance)

I know they probably don't want to give away too much as the revealing of details is a part of the story arc, however, I hope they might be able to settle disputes that the moderators do not have any basis for in a way that does not give away too much of erfworld's mechanics. As long as the moderators understand that this contact is a last ditch effort I hope they would like to help us in our endeavor.
zeekgenateer

Postby Djinn_in_Tonic » Fri May 08, 2009 5:13 pm

I'd be willing to head up a compilation of the rules as known and determined (basically, I'd start that thread and update it as much as I can).

It's going to be a complicated game though...it appears that you play on the large, city-sized Hexes, as well as control smaller skirmishes where more individual tactics are used (although we could just stick with the large hexes).
Ingredients

2oz Djinn
5oz Water
1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Djinn_in_Tonic

Postby JohnnyEgregious » Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 pm

Seems to me it only operates on the big hexes except for high level cities, which have a garrison and three zones to get to it. So except for cities > lvl.1 it's just hex-based.

Edit: In the tunnels I can see the individual style tactics, like ambushes and scouting different rooms and such. Almost like it's a smaller map inside a zone or a dungeon-crawler. Battles inside battles like that could get annoying or complicated, especially with the defenders ability to move units between zones at will.
I'm workin' on my thinkin' and I'm thinkin' it's improving.
JohnnyEgregious

Next

Return to Your Games