Book 2 – Page 90

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 90

Postby bladestorm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Aquillion wrote:
bladestorm wrote:
boegiboe wrote:Remember that Jojo came into the tunnel from the GK side, with all his spellcasting fresh. Carnymancers have to be the best at bombs.

Whoever goes back through the GK portal first will die. Or croak, as the case may be.

Or he already did it when he first encountered Parson in the tunnel. There was the swirl effect in the tunnel that brought up a lot of chatter about what it meant. That could have been the start of his gaff, swirling the exits and altering the natural signamancy of the portals. Everyone could be standing outside of the GK portal that has the signamancy of Spacerock's portal.
No, because Jack and Wanda came out of it.

They entered the MK through that portal. The exit could have been changed. The portal pointed to the MK from Spacerock would be the same, but he could jumble the destination from where the portals point to leaving from MK.
bladestorm

Postby 0beron » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 pm

bladestorm wrote:They entered the MK through that portal. The exit could have been changed. The portal pointed to the MK from Spacerock would be the same, but he could jumble the destination from where the portals point to leaving from MK.
I know Carnymancy is all about cheating, but that just wouldn't make sense. A portal is a portal, and the 2 ends will be linked. You can't treat incoming and outgoing traffic differently.
Besides, JoJo is talking about something he has planned for the near future, it's not something he has done already. The scroll was "supposed" to work, and even if it didn't he probably thought he could kill Parson, but the interference from Janis wasn't expected, so right now he's probably improvising.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 pm

On an unrelated note, I've noticed a few things on a second read through.
1) Wanda may not be SAYING anything...but she's pretty clearly THINKING. In both panels that we see her, she's got a look on her face like she's sizing up the situation and making a plan.
2) Where is the crowd? The way the Thinkers and Carnies were talking, it seemed like they would be totally surrounded by other casters now. Why isn't anyone else guarding against Parson? Do the Great Minds really have THAT much authority and power that everyone else says "Oh they've got it, we can go back to business now."? And with no crowd in the immediate vicinity, who are the Carnies gonna "rile up"?
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 pm

I just had a horrible thought:

1) If Parson attacks via portal, turnabout is fair play. Other mancers go to take Stanley out.
2) Van de graff!
3) Pile of dead casters ready to be decrypted.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Lamech wrote:1) If Parson attacks via portal, turnabout is fair play. Other mancers go to take Stanley out.
Impossible. Their main concern is maintaining neutrality. An eye for an eye might punish the side that forced their hand, but it'd be a break from neutrality all the same.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm not so sure. Maintaining a policy of 'If you attack through the MK, we will obliterate you' is fairly neutral.

And of course with carnymancers arguing for it, it might - at least for the moment - seem more reasonable still.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:00 am

I've been really impatient to see Parson go through the portal because all that has been happening so far is Not Much. Now that we (and possibly Parson) might get some real info about magic, that's one reason for me to want him to stay for a little while longer. :)

Regarding Wanda's inactivity: She's stacked with Parson, and he's on a call. She perceives him as Fate's special tool, and to proceed without him would be unwise. Already today she took advice from others than Parson, and ended up putting the portal's integrity, and Parson's plans, in jeopardy. I can understand her reluctance to proceed without Parson's direct orders at this point. That thinkamancy call can't last forever either, and she's only been waiting a few minutes.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 am

I think the thinkamancer is overthinking this...
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby twhitt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 am

Casters on a decapitation strike against GK would find that they've made a one-way trip. If GK ceases to exist, the city is no longer a side Capital, and it likely has no portal. It'd be complicated to get back, with none of the options being very tidy. The first best solution would be to send only casters who are from active sides that border GK, or casters hired by or allied with those sides - but that's not simply justice, that's territorial gain by aggression. Or someone could establish a new side at the capital site, but then there's messy politics to consider.
twhitt

Postby Oberon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:55 am

wrecan wrote:I'm also curious as to why the other Carnymancers seem to be supporting Charlie. Jojo? Sure. He's getting vengeance against the guy responsible for croaking Queen Bea and croaking and then decrypting Sylvia (which I imagine he thinks is worse than death). But what about the others? Why would they want perpetual war? What do they care if Parson lives, croaks, or returns to Stupidworld? What's their motivation? Do they simply naturally despise Predictamancers and are willing to oppose anything the Predictamancers want, if only on principle?
They seem to be a rather disliked type of caster. Note Jojo saying "[...] if we break neutrality first we'll be the criminals. As usual." So they probably band together out of a simple us against them reflex. But I would like to know what their motivations are in the 4 Xantos pileup going on here.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Infidel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 am

bladestorm wrote: I don't even count Sylvia's tale. She was incapacitated during those castings, so the only way she'd know what happened to her is from what Jojo told her....so it's probably one big con.

'
"Use the magic feather!" sayeth the carneymancers.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby asparagus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:07 am

Infidel wrote:
bladestorm wrote: I don't even count Sylvia's tale. She was incapacitated during those castings, so the only way she'd know what happened to her is from what Jojo told her....so it's probably one big con.

'
"Use the magic feather!" sayeth the carneymancers.

Actually Sylvia mentioned how Queen Bea was upset at all the fuss. So yes Jojo may have fabricated some of thee story and his motives but it can't all be made up.
asparagus

Postby Jorgath » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:57 am

Here's a thought: IF Jeftichew can change the portals (and that thing he's holding looks like a scroll - two-caster link w/ Charlie?) then he could be going to send Parson to Charlie...for the purposes of using extensive Turnamancy on him. Which would set up Book 3 nicely.
"It matters not how strait the gait,
how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."
--William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Jorgath

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 am

drachefly wrote:I'm not so sure. Maintaining a policy of 'If you attack through the MK, we will obliterate you' is fairly neutral.
The problem is that this threat is fairly easily neutralized. Rulers don't HAVE to remain in their capital, after all, and casters are squishy. A few stacks of heavies waiting to croak any caster that comes through eliminates the threat. Heck, even something as simple as building a wall in front of the portal could keep them out.
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:25 am

Jorgath wrote:Here's a thought: IF Jeftichew can change the portals (and that thing he's holding looks like a scroll - two-caster link w/ Charlie?) then he could be going to send Parson to Charlie...for the purposes of using extensive Turnamancy on him. Which would set up Book 3 nicely.
If he could do that, there would have been no reason to meet him in the tunnels in the first place. Just let him run full-tilt towards the Jetstone portal, change the portal, and have archons w/ nets or shockamancy standing by to take him down when he pops up in Charlie's capital.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 am

Jorgath wrote:and that thing [JoJo is] holding looks like a scroll - two-caster link w/ Charlie?

Ummmmm Jojo isn't holding anything. In one panel you see him from a distance, so his arm looks a TINY bit scroll-ish. But no, his hands are empty now.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 am

MarbitChow wrote:
drachefly wrote:I'm not so sure. Maintaining a policy of 'If you attack through the MK, we will obliterate you' is fairly neutral.
The problem is that this threat is fairly easily neutralized. Rulers don't HAVE to remain in their capital, after all, and casters are squishy. A few stacks of heavies waiting to croak any caster that comes through eliminates the threat. Heck, even something as simple as building a wall in front of the portal could keep them out.

Sure. But the one time it actually comes up - this time - those defenses happen not o be in place. The inapplicability of the policy in general doesn't make it not neutral in principle.
drachefly

Postby effataigus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 am

As much as I hate to suggest one mancer's powers can trump all others, I am really curious why the Grand Abbie isn't busting out a Chillaxe or equivalently powerful calming magic. Everyone in this scene is a jittery loose cannon.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 am

effataigus wrote:...why the Grand Abbie isn't busting out a Chillaxe or equivalently powerful calming magic?
Parson, Wanda, and Jack need to be able to fight once they go through to Jetstone
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am

0beron wrote:
effataigus wrote:...why the Grand Abbie isn't busting out a Chillaxe or equivalently powerful calming magic?
Parson, Wanda, and Jack need to be able to fight once they go through to Jetstone

Chillaxe was specific to the city hex. Also, not sure any of them do need to be able to personally engage.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions