Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby 0beron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 am

Okay, so here is a list of the units we still have available to use:

Reginald (Cmd): Garrison Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Leadership] (Ward-16)
Warriors (x16):
Spoiler: show
3x (WL): Warrior {Level 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 21 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Leadership] (Ward-16)
5x (WH): Warrior {Level 2} [ 11 Combat / 11 Defense / 21 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Heavy] (Ward-8)
3x (WB): Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Guard, Interpose, Bodyguard] (Ward-8)
2x (WA): Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Beefy, Well-Protected] (Ward-8)
3x (W): Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting] (Ward-8)

Spearmen (x8):
Spoiler: show
4x (SA): Spearman {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 Move. Strike. Specials: Dance Fighting, Beefy, Well-Protected] (Ward-8)
4x (S): Spearman {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 Move. Strike. Specials: Dance Fighting] (Ward-8)

We have 21 non-leader units, which means we don't even need to use Reginald as leadership. All ground units are also Dancers, so we can form 3 stacks that have +6. Now before I (or someone else) comes up with a strategy for how they should move out of the gate, can I get a refresher on how the rubble affects movement?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 am

0beron wrote:can I get a refresher on how the rubble affects movement?
Entering a rubble square costs 2 squares of movement instead of 1, unless you're flying.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:58 am

I believe the point of not sending our infantry out is to minimize our losses in this battle, we can afford to have them destroy 1 tower as it will grow back next round
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:09 am

I may be mistaken, but towers don't grow back once destroyed.

Also, if we plan to accept a wall breach, then we essentially accept that we'll need to engage in a melee battle anyway. Better to have that when the Elven units don't get the DC bonuses stacked too high.

Either that, or we try to seriously pick off their units with our ranged ones in the two or so rounds before they've got a chance to breach our walls. It appears however that merely relying on ranged attacks is insufficient.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am

Unfortunately I believe the point that has been made is we can't save both towers without sending in melee. And the longer we wait, the harder the battle becomes.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:40 am

Just a quick note: the Darkness Rising Rules thread now has updates for all the proposed rules changes for the next overhaul, including new Luckamancy, Dollamancy, and Healamancy rules, Paragon/Regent abilities, city management, structures and siege changes. Please take some time to review these changes and post your thoughts, opinions, and complaints.

Remember: anything in the rules that can be abused by the players can be even more harshly abused by a GM with unlimited resources, so please point out anything that you think is unbalanced or prone to abuse.

New rules can be found here: (click)
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Since, from a meta-point of view, Triage doesn't know about Charlie's offer to Yuri, he will proceed with his prior Warding plan unless he is alerted or ordered otherwise.
WaterMonkey314

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:34 pm

If 1 tower is destroyed it will grow back, and, for me at least, letting their infantry attack 1 tower and even destroy it is worthwhile as it will allow our infantry/archers to attack them when they no longer have the dodge bonus, hell the infantry will be able to attack twice since most of them have delayed actions
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:52 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:If 1 tower is destroyed it will grow back, and ... letting their infantry attack 1 tower ... will allow our infantry/archers to attack them when they no longer have the dodge bonus, hell the infantry will be able to attack twice since most of them have delayed actions

My thoughts exactly, we don't send the infantry until they would be able to attack twice, and the enemy has lost dodge. However, I don't want to let them destroy it as you suggest would be acceptable. We want to only let them get off a single round on it.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:38 pm

0beron wrote:
ETheBoyce wrote:If 1 tower is destroyed it will grow back, and ... letting their infantry attack 1 tower ... will allow our infantry/archers to attack them when they no longer have the dodge bonus, hell the infantry will be able to attack twice since most of them have delayed actions

My thoughts exactly, we don't send the infantry until they would be able to attack twice, and the enemy has lost dodge. However, I don't want to let them destroy it as you suggest would be acceptable. We want to only let them get off a single round on it.

Keep in mind that a number of us are standing on the tower - have we made sure that we can actually evacuate our high-level units if need be? I for one don't want to take the risk of tumbling into melee to keep the actual melee guys safe. :P
WaterMonkey314

Postby Werebiscuit » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 pm

0beron wrote:

It's a good plan..however consider the objective from the enemy's point of view.

Next round (round3) they can reach the tower and their warriors will act on phase 14 (before our archers). By the end of that round they will be com 18 (from inspiration). Not enough to damage the def 25 tower ( they will be doing 2d6-7) except by 1-5 points if they roll high (at least 50% will not damage it by the law of averages). Damage to the tower in that round is likely to be 3-5 points at best. Some of their warriors will actually be shielded from most of our archery by the tower. I doubt they'll hit the tower and give up +6 def in that round.
We're planning to take away 2 commanders and possibly a 3rd plus 6 spearmen using all our resources.

Do we bring out our ground forces now ? The elves are still dodging and the infantry won't reach the elves with their 1st move so can't attack twice.
If we do attack them they can hit back as they haven't attacked.
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 am

0beron wrote:Okay, so here is a list of the units we still have available to use:

Reginald (Cmd): Garrison Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Leadership] (Ward-16)
Warriors (x16):
3x (WL): Warrior {Level 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 21 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Leadership] (Ward-16)
5x (WH): Warrior {Level 2} [ 11 Combat / 11 Defense / 21 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Heavy] (Ward-8)
3x (WB): Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Guard, Interpose, Bodyguard] (Ward-8)
2x (WA): Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting, Beefy, Well-Protected] (Ward-8)
3x (W): Warrior {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / 8 Move. Attack. Specials: Dance Fighting] (Ward-8)[/spoiler]
Spearmen (x8):

4x (SA): Spearman {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 Move. Strike. Specials: Dance Fighting, Beefy, Well-Protected] (Ward-8)
4x (S): Spearman {Level 1} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 Move. Strike. Specials: Dance Fighting] (Ward-8)[/spoiler]
We have 21 non-leader units, which means we don't even need to use Reginald as leadership. All ground units are also Dancers, so we can form 3 stacks that have +6. Now before I (or someone else) comes up with a strategy for how they should move out of the gate, can I get a refresher on how the rubble affects movement?

I'd just like to point out that for some of our warriors their AP's spent on Beefy & Well protected don't seem to have affected their stats as they have exactly the same as the warriors below them who haven't spent the AP's yet. Similarly for the spearmen.
Also the 3 stacks will get +8 ( +4 dance +2 lead +2 chief) bonus.

It shouldn't be forgotten that we also have Vinny, Bill and Comet with Fire actions unused. They can possibly de-ward a spearman making an easier kill for Cupid or Yuri or archers next round.
Werebiscuit

Postby Exate » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 am

I suppose Rona isn't going to reply to the last thing Yuri said (or if she did, I've somehow missed it), so in the interest of moving things along I'll assume that she agreed to his stipulations (eliminating the round limit and acknowledging that Tenebris' chief warlord might not go for it), then broke the thinkspace and Yuri can now communicate with others.

Which he will now do. Since he personally is occupied and Rona emphasized that the whole point of this is to make Charlie look good, shouting across the wall that they'd been offered money seemed a poor decision. Instead, he points to the one of the now-unneeded bodyguards flanking the casters behind him- with no enemy ranged units in the hex, they weren't needed on the tower and could serve as messengers easily enough. They might even be considered a liability up here- just more men to fall if the tower collapsed. "You! Is going to Chief, telling him Charlie offer thousand secret schmuckers for letting tiny flying women blast crying elves, no problems. Elf king paying them five hundred per croakings and they is wanting to look better. Go!"

There. Whatever orders were issued, or if negotiations were brought up again, at least the problem of whether to accept Charlie's dubious offer had been effectively dumped on someone else and Yuri could return to the pressing matter of blasting things.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am

Exate wrote:I suppose Rona isn't going to reply to the last thing Yuri said (or if she did, I've somehow missed it), so in the interest of moving things along I'll assume that she agreed to his stipulations (eliminating the round limit and acknowledging that Tenebris' chief warlord might not go for it), then broke the thinkspace and Yuri can now communicate with others.

Rounds do not play into it at all, we must immediately cease and desist our interference, allowing them to croak the Alt Elves as quickly as they are able, in order to receive the bounty.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Exate » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 am

0beron wrote:Rounds do not play into it at all, we must immediately cease and desist our interference, allowing them to croak the Alt Elves as quickly as they are able, in order to receive the bounty.
As the deal was initially represented by Rona, this is incorrect. The deal has been presented as allowing them to kill the altruistic elves as quickly as they are able, but the way they set it up, if they delayed or encountered some other interference then we would get nothing even if we completely backed off. The relevant line and Yuri's counterpoint to it are quoted here for your convenience.

MarbitChow as Rona wrote:if we've harvest all 8 Alt Elves with 3 rounds, you get some of the payola that the Elf King used to eliminate his own units.
Exate as Yuri wrote:Limits of rounds is nonsense, you is slowing down killing and then giving me tricky weasel grin.
Exate

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 am

And then Marbit clarified (out of character I think, for convenience, but I forget) that we would need to just stop interfering at all.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 am

Exate wrote:The deal has been presented as allowing them to kill the altruistic elves as quickly as they are able, but the way they set it up, if they delayed or encountered some other interference then we would get nothing even if we completely backed off. The relevant line and Yuri's counterpoint to it are quoted here for your convenience.

MarbitChow as Rona wrote:if we've harvest all 8 Alt Elves with 3 rounds, you get some of the payola that the Elf King used to eliminate his own units.
Exate as Yuri wrote:Limits of rounds is nonsense, you is slowing down killing and then giving me tricky weasel grin.

Sorry, must have missed this. Rona would have responded with a grin, "No contracts, no tricks, no weaseling. You make no further moves to stop us, you get 1000 smuckers. You do anything to slow us down, you get no bonus. You don't even need to agree to this offer. Your actions from this point on will indicate your yes or no." At that point, the Thinkspace would end.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 am

IF we decide to go with the "deal", then can we at least have our top Arch Will personally dispatch two Altruistic Elves? Just so that the blasted meddling Charlie won't get the full bounty from the Green King, yet nonetheless be forced to give us 1000Sch out of the incomplete reward?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:IF we decide to go with the "deal", then can we at least have our top Arch Will personally dispatch two Altruistic Elves? Just so that the blasted meddling Charlie won't get the full bounty from the Green King, yet nonetheless be forced to give us 1000Sch out of the incomplete reward?
That would stop Charlie from collecting his full reward, and negate your kickback. Note that this isn't a contract - it's a bribe. You make their lives easy and let them collect the full reward without interference, they kick back some to you. There's no legalese involved here. There are no enforcement clauses (on either side) for this interaction.
MarbitChow

Postby Exate » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:IF we decide to go with the "deal", then can we at least have our top Arch Will personally dispatch two Altruistic Elves? Just so that the blasted meddling Charlie won't get the full bounty from the Green King, yet nonetheless be forced to give us 1000Sch out of the incomplete reward?
I don't know that the handful of XP and vicious sense of satisfaction are worth the worsened relations with Charlie that we'd get out of blatantly lessening his income like that at minimal gain to ourselves. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not a good trade-off, when we have other enemies that need killing.
Exate

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games