Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame 3 (closed) - Rules and Discussion

Postby Kaed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 am

Lord of Monies wrote:So I had an idea for something a moneymancer could do. Maybe see if House could do it if he develops some talent for it. I'll have an insurance policy on a high-value unit. As we've seen in the comic, Slately had the problem of not having the money to hand to promote Trammenis to heir. With a moneymancer, I'd have an heir then insure him/her by paying a small percentage each turn on the policy.

Monies, a way for this process already exists, so there is no need to create an entirely new one. Just... have your moneymancer make a small value gem each turn, then put it in a chest marked Emergency. Hell, maybe he can enchant the chest to do that automatically each turn, and even display the balance inside at all times.

Though that last might require a little foolamancy..
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:03 am

Don't you out-logic me. That's not nice to do, you know.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Speaking out out-logicing someone, I sort of blew up on "No one in particular" in the page 90 thread. :I

I feel a little bad, but he really really annoyed me.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Koliup » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:17 pm

How goes the progression to turn 10, Kaed and Metheglin?
Making plots on how to get us to fight each other?
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Lord of Monies » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Page 90 thread? I don't venture outside of this section of the forums, so post a link if you feel like it so I can satisfy my curiosity.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 am

Moar new rules! :)
  • Captured units who escape act first, on the capturing side's turn. They have no purse during this time, and become re-captured if they fail to forage their upkeep (giving away their position).
  • Wild units act when they please?
  • Rulers' Natural Thinkamancy does not tell them the location of their Natural Allies.
  • Wild units can be tamed without magic at all, bribe them with food.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am

That yellow dragon is having the worst trip right now. Poor thing.

The question is how the mechanic works for natural taming. She fed it three high elves, so it's not just "feed them something and they're instantly tame."

I'm inclined to think it's either fill their belly (upkeep?) or each time you feed them something there is a chance they join you.

And I doubt it's 100% effective like the Arkenhammer. If it's the former then they either turn or leave you be. At the very least feeding the thing placates the beast, and it won't attack further that turn.

If it's the latter then you likely only get so many chances before they are full. In this case you may also have to provide an appropriate food. Dwagons will not be stirred by carrots, but maybe if you sacrifice a few soldiers for noms it would be interested... just make sure they aren't doped up.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 am

Yeah, we'll have to figure out the specifics, my "Bribe it with food" comment was over-simplified.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:52 pm

But at the very least I'm going to rule a couple things for temporary use:

-Creatures may be sacrificed to use as food, for an upkeep reduction three times their actual upkeep. Thus a 100 upkeep, uh... Sparrowhawk, would provide 300 schmuckers of upkeep with its demise.
-Men may not be used for providing upkeep for a side, BUT if a ruler desires he may sacrifice them to feed/attempt to tame a large carnivorous beast like a dwagon, using the same calculation. Or a Wok, say.

What would you people prefer? Multiple smaller chances to tame a creature up to their upkeep in value by feeding it, or one larger chance once it's fully fed? Since we don't know for sure we can use temporary placeholder rules.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm thinking there should be a chance to tame it each time you feed it, and if you fully feed it before succeeding, you've lost the chance, but at least it won't attack you because it's no longer hungry. And I suppose that small chance should be proportional to what percentage of it's upkeep you feed it with each try.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Exate » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Kaed wrote:-Men may not be used for providing upkeep for a side, BUT if a ruler desires he may sacrifice them to feed/attempt to tame a large carnivorous beast like a dwagon, using the same calculation. Or a Wok, say.
I am not ordering my men to march into that thing's maw in hopes of taming it. It dies, even if hunting monsters faster than you in turn-based systems is annoying as hell.

0beron wrote:I'm thinking there should be a chance to tame it each time you feed it, and if you fully feed it before succeeding, you've lost the chance, but at least it won't attack you because it's no longer hungry. And I suppose that small chance should be proportional to what percentage of it's upkeep you feed it with each try.
Seems reasonable, although I would think that the level of the would-be tamer and any specials they've got would factor in as well. A forest-capable unit would be better at taming forest units, for example, and someone with Frightening would probably get a bonus to tame almost anything. GM can eyeball the details, of course.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Exate wrote:I would think that the level of the would-be tamer and any specials they've got would factor in as well. A forest-capable unit would be better at taming forest units, for example, and someone with Frightening would probably get a bonus to tame almost anything. GM can eyeball the details, of course.

Good ideas :)
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Well now I feel like I've missed a trick having at seperate points encountered both a dwagon AND some high elves. I mean, yes, killing the dwagon gained me a couple levels, but still, I could do a lot with a purple dwagon under my belt. Ah well, such is fate.
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:15 pm

Lord of Monies wrote:Well now I feel like I've missed a trick having at seperate points encountered both a dwagon AND some high elves. I mean, yes, killing the dwagon gained me a couple levels, but still, I could do a lot with a purple dwagon under my belt. Ah well, such is fate.

Oh of course. Feeding it the one specific example that makes it crash into trees would have been a great idea. And the turn and a half of rations it gave you, much less useful than 400 or so extra upkeep a turn, mister barbarian.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:22 pm

*poke poke* you haven't forgotten about me, have you Kaed...?
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Koliup » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Sounds like it's going to be rise of the beast armies soon.

Don't be caught out in the cold; TAME EVERYTHING.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 am

Kaed wrote:
Lord of Monies wrote:Well now I feel like I've missed a trick having at seperate points encountered both a dwagon AND some high elves. I mean, yes, killing the dwagon gained me a couple levels, but still, I could do a lot with a purple dwagon under my belt. Ah well, such is fate.

Oh of course. Feeding it the one specific example that makes it crash into trees would have been a great idea. And the turn and a half of rations it gave you, much less useful than 400 or so extra upkeep a turn, mister barbarian.

Yeah, not complaining considering the circumstances at the time. Still, having a dwagon under your command is always going to be a desireable outcome. I mean, it's a friggen dwagon!
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Successful Businesswoman, Peaceful Negotiator, Warrior Queen, and now Mistress of Wild Animals! What will Victoria be next!?
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:52 pm

0beron wrote:Successful Businesswoman, Peaceful Negotiator, Warrior Queen, and now Mistress of Wild Animals! What will Victoria be next!?

Man, you let a girl tame a couple little doggies, and it goes straight to her head. :V
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm

*sigh* well when you put it THAT way, of COURSE it sounds less badass *grumble grumble*
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games