Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Regus is a spearman. That's why he has defense 4, and the strike ability instead of defense 5 and the attack ability.

Also, I meant that marbit listed whump as stacked in his summary, when whump should not be stacked.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby CroverusRaven » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:30 pm

I can pretend to be cowering and trying to cast a nasty made up spell? Maybe veil our archers and caster to look like regular troops and move them in top to sweep there, and send legionares to me to act liek I'm an important unit that you guys want to rescue, so that maybe without leadership the marbits will think to keep attacking me while I'm still dodging. Even if they roll well I'm not going to take a lot of damage.

Marbit, what exactly breaks my veil? Can I attack and try having the veil look like I'm still some kind of caster flinging a spell (like a haboken) into a unit's face?
CroverusRaven

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 am

CroverusRaven wrote:Marbit, what exactly breaks my veil? Can I attack and try having the veil look like I'm still some kind of caster flinging a spell (like a haboken) into a unit's face?
Attacking or casting breaks the veil.
MarbitChow

Postby CroverusRaven » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 am

But if I decide I'm gonna keep dodging can I will the veil to amke it look liek I'm casting some kind of defensive spell to explain why they are having trouble hitting me?
CroverusRaven

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 am

The one fly in the ointment, or dead mouse in the cookie jar, if you prefer, with either of the previous page-8 plans is those Marbit crossbowmen.
MarbitChow wrote: It's one of the advantages of defending - all your units can react immediately, no matter when the attackers enter the hex.

As it's now phase 5 these crossbowmen can fire on any unit entering the hex. With her 3 def boosted by dodging Anex is still going to take an average 5 damage from each bolt. With 3 crossbow men yet to fire it's suicide for Anex, Rudy and Fortunes to enter ther hex apart from in cover. Even with cover Fortune will take on average 3 from each crossbow so two crosswbows will kill him
Regus also will take enough damage to kill him on average unless he enters the hex in cover and stays in cover.

We're going to lose one character before they can get to their allocated spot unless we can get those crossbows to fire. That character is likely to be Rudy or Anex

The plan then.... Nemo loses his action and dismounts. The kitty enters the hex closely followed by Rudy and Anex who are followed by Zed-2 and Moe (assuming The colonel takes mighy blow & guard) and bring up the rear Regus.

The kitty will act as a mobile shield giving +4 to Rudy & Anex who in turn will give +4 to Zed-2 and Moe. Both of those can guard Rudy & Anex for a further +3 and they will give cover to Regus. All dodging
So defence wise we have kitty with 19 def Rudy & Anex with 17 def Zed & Moe with 16 def right at the back Regus with 15 def. It may even be better than that... Do further rows benefit from increased cover Marbit...or was that just LTDave's scenarios ?

That formation can go anywhere including right up to a splody mouse as kitty will soak the damage easily.

There is no need for Nemo to dismount unless we're going to soak splody mouse damage but I'd rather have the option which is why I'd recommend we do.

{Edit} the formation can't get to SM02 but will pick off SM01 easily as described previously by kitty moving to L11 leaving Rudy and Regus with fire actions on SM02. Rudy twice as he goes before it. ! ~I suggest we delay when we get there to give SM01 the chance to explode and we can keep dodging.

Even after they've acted the formation will have 13 def for kitty 11 def for Rudy & Anex 10 def for Zed & Moe and 9 def for Regus. Against crossbow actions for round 2
Last edited by Werebiscuit on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 am

Werebiscuit wrote: Do further rows benefit from increased cover Marbit...or was that just LTDave's scenarios ?
Nope. Just one row; you either have cover or you don't. You can't improve on it by having more units in front of you.
MarbitChow

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 am

What if we went with the veil plan? Veil up Zed too to look like a archer, and anex to look like a legionary

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 am

tigerusthegreat wrote:What if we went with the veil plan? Veil up Zed too to look like a archer, and anex to look like a legionary

Then it's a 50-50 chance that they'll aim at Zed (who looks like Anex) or Rudy. As he's going in too. I don't know about Rudy but I wouldn't like to risk my life on the flip of a coin. Would you ?

Veils aren't 100 % either...read the Foolamancy rules ( if the marbits roll a 6 on a d6 {16% chance for each Marbit :!: }they see through the veil).
It obviously happened with SM01 as he didn't take the bait !
If it fails then the choice is Rudy or Anex for the Crossbowers. If they all 3 go for the same target..they'll kill the target. In fact for Rudy & Anex it only takes 2 crossbowers to see through and go for the same target. 1 crossbow if they roll max damage ( a 12 on 2d6)
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am

Werebiscuit wrote:read the Foolamancy rules ( if the marbits roll a 6 on a d6 {16% chance for each Marbit :!: }they see through the veil).
"Any unit with Leadership and any caster can negate a Foolamancy by making a Spot check." For this scenario, veils cannot be broken, since the marbits have neither. However, other behavior (like sending in the caster alone), might give clues that something is amiss. Foolamancy works best when the victims don't have any reason to doubt what they're seeing.
MarbitChow

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:05 am

I say we go with my plan, to alpha out the mice, with the added benefit of veiling zed too as an archer. We could make both Anex and Rudy veiled as legionaires or something completely different, like spearmen. Or send in the legionaires first, giving the marbits the option of shooting at them first. By the time all the legionaires are in, if the marbits haven't taken their shot, then zed-too the veiled archer appears, and they have something juicy to shoot at. If they still don't shoot, we can always hold back the other two, or send in the kitty, or something else.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am

There's another option - if I, or any of the other disposable Legionnaires, take Well-protected + block x 2, (2 AP), I can end up with a Defense of 14 (5 base + 9 from Well-protected and 2 x Blocking). That would give us another effective tank.
WaterMonkey314

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:I say we go with my plan, to alpha out the mice, with the added benefit of veiling zed too as an archer. We could make both Anex and Rudy veiled as legionaires
<snip>. I
f they still don't shoot, we can always hold back the other two, or send in the kitty, or something else.

If they don't shoot till phase 8 in round 2 then Anex is unlikley to enter on round 2 without serious cover as she still has the same problem.

however... no harm in waiting to see what happens if we present them with targets. just don't expect any suicidal moves from Anex is all..
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:There's another option - if I, or any of the other disposable Legionnaires, take Well-protected + block x 2, (2 AP), I can end up with a Defense of 14 (5 base + 9 from Well-protected and 2 x Blocking). That would give us another effective tank.
You can only take one combat modifier (per type) per level. You can't take block x2, or mighty blow x2, at 1st level, but you can take block and mighty blow at the same time at 1st level.
MarbitChow

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
WaterMonkey314 wrote:There's another option - if I, or any of the other disposable Legionnaires, take Well-protected + block x 2, (2 AP), I can end up with a Defense of 14 (5 base + 9 from Well-protected and 2 x Blocking). That would give us another effective tank.
You can only take one combat modifier (per type) per level. You can't take block x2, or mighty blow x2, at 1st level, but you can take block and mighty blow at the same time at 1st level.

Oh, unfortunate. :(
WaterMonkey314

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Question for marbit: can the enemy tell that Regus is anything other than a spearman? Do they know he has the leadership special just by seeing him?

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:32 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:Question for marbit: can the enemy tell that Regus is anything other than a spearman? Do they know he has the leadership special just by seeing him?
If there are no commanders or casters in the hex, they don't get to see your stats, but they may be able to guess that either you or Wegio might be unusual. Commanders and casters can see your stats if you're not veiled, however.
MarbitChow

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Then we send in Wegio with the legionaires, and he pretends to be in command, and/or veil regus as a normal legionaire.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby LTDave » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:32 pm

What do you mean, pretends?

"Enough of this bollocks! Advance!"

WEGIO MOVES TO K2, and attacks PG02. This phase. Now.

Also:
Page One wrote:Wegio Wegion (aka WW) is one of the mercenary warriors.
Warrior: 8 Combat / 8 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 Square Move. 8 Overland Hex Move. Attack.
(Beefy, Well-Armed, Well-Defended)
LTDave

Postby Nnelg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

No offence, LTDave, but are you just going to constantly try to rush in without any regard for a plan, or what the rest of us are thinking? :x

I don't want to be rude, but it's just starting to irk me...

Marbit, if a unit moved into cover in one phase, would the marbit archers get to fire at them unaffected by the cover bonus?

Whatever we do though, we needn't be hasty. We still have 5 phases left to do stuff in. So, I suggest we just send in Kilroy and Moe (both veiled as Anex) in to H8 and J5 and dodge. If the marbits don't shoot at them, I see no reason why they would when Anex herself moves in next phase.

Thankfully WW's Leroy Jenkins puts him in an ok spot, so he can run off on his own accord if he wishes. Whump can either break the veil now and attack one of the bears (probably the same one WW's attacking) or hold off another turn, at his own discretion; his manuever having fulfilled its purpose of provoking the Marbits into a responce.

CroverusRaven wrote:But if I decide I'm gonna keep dodging can I will the veil to amke it look liek I'm casting some kind of defensive spell to explain why they are having trouble hitting me?

Croverus, I don't think you need to be that detailed in roleplay.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Nnelg wrote:Marbit, if a unit moved into cover in one phase, would the marbit archers get to fire at them unaffected by the cover bonus?
Possibly. They could have set orders to fire as soon as a particular unit enters the hex. However, since Whump already ran in, odds are that they're waiting for more than just "shoot the first unit that enters". If they haven't fired before the unit gets to the square, the cover bonus kicks in as soon as they're behind cover, so even if they fire at that point, the +4 kicks in.
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games