Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Postby Nnelg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Hm... Earlier you were saying the marbits were holding their fire because they were waiting for a good shot, right?

So, if Leroy and/or Moe were to stop dodging, then one of the archers might fire on them. Or (possibly) even better, one of the mice might waste its turn attacking normally instead of exploding.

Of course, it'd be more dangerous for them. However, it may be worth notice that the odds of survival are inversely proportional to how successful this maneuver is. In other words, if it doesn't work then it's practically certain they'll survive.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Nnelg wrote:Nemo dismounts the Naughty Kitty, which then proceeds to O/P-13/14 and pounces on MA03.
Quick note: The Kitty's 'square' move is 10. The {12} indicates 'hex' moves. It won't be able to reach O/P-13/14 until next turn; it falls 2 squares short. The warrior (MW02) or mouse (SM02) are within range, however.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Quick note: The Kitty's 'square' move is 10. The {12} indicates 'hex' moves. It won't be able to reach O/P-13/14 until next turn; it falls 2 squares short. The warrior (MW02) or mouse (SM02) are within range, however.

Ah, I see; my math was off. I was thinking 8+4=10, for some reason... (Dodecimal arithmetic, perhaps?)

So then, here's my proposal:

By Phase:

Phase 3:
Kilroy and Moe stop dodging, but don't waste their action.

Phase 2:
Nemo dismounts the Kitty, which proceeds to K-L/11-12 and attacks SM02, unless it moved in Phase 3.
If at least two Marbit archers have fired, Anex and Rudy move in early.

Phase 1:
Anex and Rudy move to H1 and H2 respectively, and fire (prioritizing archers and mice that have not fired/moved yet).
The casters will not enter the hex this round unless all marbit archers are croaked.

By Unit:

Kilroy & Moe:
Stop dodging on Phase 3, but do not waste actions. If one of the Mice moves adjacent and attacks regularly, drop veil and counter-attack. If nothing moves adjacent, start dodging again at the last possible moment before the delayed actions are wasted.

Anex & Rudy:
On Phase 1, or Phase 2 if at least two archers have fired, move to H1 & H2 and fire. Prioritize units with actions remaining. They can mutually support each other for a net +1 combat apiece.

Naughty Kitty:
Nemo dismounts in Phase 2 and the Kitty goes off to shred SM02, unless it has moved.

Nemo & Fort:
Neither should move in unless all three archers are dead, in which case they can move pretty much anywhere E-H/1-4.
Fireing with them would be a waste of actions; instead Fort should Debuff a Mouse and Nemo veil WW as an unwounded version of himself.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 pm

So... In the absence of any dissenters, can we go with this now?

Also, Marbit:
If a unit delays past the end of the round, do they keep their delayed action next round?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby WhirdCheese » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Chance waits until all three archers are dead and then enters the hex at H4 and debuffs SM01 if alive then SM02 if alive then the closest warrior then the closest spearman
WhirdCheese

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Nnelg wrote:So... In the absence of any dissenters, can we go with this now?

Also, Marbit:
If a unit delays past the end of the round, do they keep their delayed action next round?

They keep it until phase combat+1 of the next round. So a Combat 3 unit could hold his action until phase 4 of the next round (at the end of which phase, they would get a new action and move that they could delay, but they would loose the readied one)
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby LTDave » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:15 pm

No objections here. Bring it on.
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 am

Turn (*Mumble*) - Marbit Hex - Round 1 - Phase 3/2

Marbit archers, seeing a plethora of non-dodging targets, finally fire, while the remaining Marbit warrior closes with Moe. Moe and the marbit* exchange blows, with the marbit clearly the loser. Anex and Rudy move in, and each fire at a marbit archer. Anex drops hers, but Chance's spell significantly alters Rudy's attempt...

(OOC: Although Nnelg suggested H1 & H2, Werebiscuit's last official order was to move to G8. Player orders take precedence. Since no player orders existed for Rudy, I maintained the spirit and moved Rudy to be in range of Anex's support. However, since I estimated that Anex would probably kill her target with just Mighty Blow, Anex and Rudy fired at 2 different targets, which prevented either from supporting the other.)

* (In another universe, "Moe and the Marbit" is a heart-warming buddy film.)
PCs have been added to the Reference section. Please double-check the stats and let me know if there are any changes that need to be made.

Tenebris Karma : +13

Rock formations are impassible and provide a +4 Cover bonus to units standing behind them. All units other than Nemo have 2 Hex Move remaining, which means you can enter the hex, and flee the hex, but cannot re-enter it once you have fled. Nemo's mount has 6 Hex Move remaining, so he can leave and re-enter up to 3 times. Both sides are assumed to be Dodging when they start.

Tenebris Units
Spoiler: show
Nemo (Nnelg) : [3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. 8 {8} Move. 3 (of 8) Juice. Fire.] (Lesser Boost:1) Delayed-Move Delayed-Action Dodging
Regus the Great (tigerusthegreat): [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 9 (of 12) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Strike.]
Rudy Eye (bob the 6th) : [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Support, Coordinate, Dance Fighting]
Whump (CroverusRaven) : [6 Combat / 7 Defense / 17 (of 26) Hits / 8 {8} Move. Attack.]
Fortunes Chance (WhirdCheese): [3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. 8 {8} Move. 5 (of 8) Juice. Fire.] (Lesser Boost:1) Delayed-Move Delayed-Action Dodging
Wegio Wegion (LTDave) : [8 Combat / 8 Defense / 14 (of 22) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Beefy, Well-Armed, Well-Defended]
Zed-Too (BLANDCorporatio) : [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Well-Protected, Beefy, Guard, Interpose] Delayed-Action Dodging
Kilroy Jenkins (WaterMonkey312) : [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 13 (of 14) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Well-Protected, Block] Delayed-Action
Larry "Moe" Curly (The Colonel) : [8 Combat / 5 Defense / 9 (of 14) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Well Armed, Guard, Mighty Blow]
Anex (Werebiscuit) : [10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Well-Armed, Mighty Blow, Support] (Lesser Boost:1)
Melissa : Naughty Kitty {Level 1, 2 XP} [9 Combat / 12 Defense / 40 Hits / Attack. 10 {12} Move. Special : Beast, Mount.] Delayed-Move Delayed-Action Dodging

Enemy Stats
Marbit Archer (MA01) : [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire.]
Marbit Archer (MA02) : [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 1 (of 10) Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire.]
Marbit Spearman (MS01) : [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 20 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Strike. Special: Beefy]
Marbit Spearman (MS02) : [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 20 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Strike. Special: Beefy]
Marbit Warrior (MW01) : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Beefy]
Marbit Warrior (MW02) : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 9 (of 22) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Beefy]
Splody Mouse Lesser Cloth Golem (SM01) : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Construct, Explody] Delayed-Action Dodging
Splody Mouse Lesser Cloth Golem (SM02) : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Construct, Explody] Delayed-Action Dodging

Results
Tenebris Stacks :
Regus: Leads Nemo, Rudy, Zed-Too, Chance, Wegio, Anex, Naughty Kitty (+1 Leadership)

-- Round 1 --

Phase 3
----------
Kilroy: stops Dodging
Moe: stops Dodging

The marbit archers target
MA01: Fires @ Kilroy
Roll : 10. 17 Combat - (8 Defense + 1 Leadership + 4 Cover + 3 Block) = 1 Hit.

MA02: Fires @ Moe
Roll : 7. 14 Combat - (5 Defense + 1 Leadership + 4 Cover + 3 Block - 2 Mighty Blow) = 3 Hits.

MA03: Fires @ Regus
Roll : 5. 12 Combat - (4 Defense + 1 Leadership + 4 Cover) = 3 Hits.

MW02: Move to I7, Attack @ Moe
Roll : 8. 13 Combat - (5 Defense + 1 Leadership + 4 Cover + 3 Block - 2 Mighty Blow) = 2 Hits.

Moe: Attack @ MW02
Roll : 8. 16 Combat + (1 Leadership + 3 Mighty Blow - 2 Block) - (5 Defense) = 13 Hits.

SM01: Move to Q2
SM02: Move to P6

Phase 2
----------
Anex: Move to G8, Fire @ MA03
Roll : 9. 19 Combat + (1 Leadership + 3 Might Blow) - (3 Defense + 4 Cover) = 16 Hits. Target slain. Team earns 2 XP.
(Lesser Boost) Roll : 9.
(Boost : No effect; Boost persists.)

Rudy: Move to F8, Fire @ MA02
Roll : 11 CRITICAL SUCCESS
(Lesser Curse): 8. 15 Combat + (1 Leadership) - (3 Defense + 4 Cover) = 9 Hits.
Lesser Curse expires. Tenebris gains 3 Karma (roll). Tenebris gains 10 Karma (negated critical).

As always, let me know if you see any mistakes.
(edit: Fixed Enemy Unit list)
(edit2: Moe used his delayed action.)
Last edited by MarbitChow on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
MarbitChow

Postby CroverusRaven » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:39 am

Unless given orders by Leadership, Whump is moving over to M2 and gonna punch MS01

"WHUMP SMASH! AGAIN!!"
CroverusRaven

Postby Nnelg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 am

Well, let's hope that massive Karma boost is worth the critical...

And, I'd have personally preferred it if you had waited until Werebiscuit could change his orders... Now Anex is fairly exposed -not only to archers, but to the Mice as well. It's a good thing they moved, or we'd be in deep boop right now.

EDIT:
Hm... Shouldn't Moe have unveiled, if he attacked the Marbit?

Also, since the plans were upset and the Naughty Kitty lacked a target, I don't think Nemo would have dismounted. I didn't expect them to move in that direction.

Lastly, both Nemo and Fort are delaying now.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby The Colonel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:47 am

ATTACK ATTACK THE MARBIT WITH ALL MY MIGHT! Alternate universes are alternate universes!
The Colonel

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:27 am

Nnelg wrote:Hm... Shouldn't Moe have unveiled, if he attacked the Marbit?
Yup. Forgot to update the image. It will be fixed in the next update.

Nnelg wrote:Also, since the plans were upset and the Naughty Kitty lacked a target, I don't think Nemo would have dismounted. I didn't expect them to move in that direction.
Noted. Nemo remains on the Kitty.

Nnelg wrote:Lastly, both Nemo and Fort are delaying now.
Fixed.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Hm, you know, actually werebiscuit's orders didn't conflict with my suggestion, since he specified that Anex would move to G8 if veiled.

But, because those mice moved it's not a total disaster, I can work with this. So I'm not going to call you out on that one.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby WhirdCheese » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 pm

How many archers are left? The picture shows two but there's one in the enemy stats section.

So two once I've looked at the Results section.
WhirdCheese

Postby bob the 6th » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:22 am

man, it was a crit, but losing a crit in a minor field skirmish is totally worth it. killing a marbit archer would not have been worth 13 karma... and now we have a general buff for everyone, as those 13 points disseminate through the round.

edit: also, marbit, +1 cool point for making a negated critical 13 points... intentional or not, it is pretty funny. saddly a forced critical is not -777...

edit edit: good to know the boosting manuvers only boost targets you both attack... makes the care bear stare formation a bit of a tank killer.
bob the 6th

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 am

Nnelg wrote:Hm, you know, actually werebiscuit's orders didn't conflict with my suggestion, since he specified that Anex would move to G8 if veiled.
But, because those mice moved it's not a total disaster, I can work with this. So I'm not going to call you out on that one.

Since the mice moved before Rudy and Anex, it was pretty clear that (a) the location was safe for the moment, (b) you have plenty of time to bring the Kitty into position and (c) Anex gets to move again before any units on the Marbit side can react. I needed to make it clear that player orders (in bold) trump other players suggestions, period. If a player issues an order, their character will attempt to fulfill the spirit of that order.

It's highly unlikely that I'm going to kill any of the new players. (NPC characters played by experienced players don't get plot armor, though.) But it's important for the first scenario to help establish the ground rules. You're not playing a computer game here. If a player's instructions are moderately explicit, they'll be executed, regardless of the impact on other players' well-laid plans.

WhirdCheese wrote:How many archers are left? The picture shows two but there's one in the enemy stats section. So two once I've looked at the Results section.
Fixed.

bob the 6th wrote:edit: also, marbit, +1 cool point for making a negated critical 13 points... intentional or not, it is pretty funny. saddly a forced critical is not -777...
Not quite sure I understand the reference. Is this just alluding to the belief that 13 is unlucky and 777 is lucky? Or is there another reference that I'm missing?

Based on the rules that have been posted, I would like some additional feedback on Luckamancy - particularly focusing on whether it's fun or not, and whether it's 'balanced' or not. I think the Karma cost of Greater Boosts/Curses could get very steep very quickly, so I might end up changing that to something like "Roll double the number of dice required, and take the best rolls (so for 2d6, roll 4d6 taking the best 2; 3d6 becomes 6d6 taking the best 3, etc.)" so that better rolls become even more likely, but still not guaranteed criticals each time. Either that, or only count Greater Boost/Curse rolls as non-critical max rolls... thoughts?
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Nnelg wrote:Also, since the plans were upset and the Naughty Kitty lacked a target, I don't think Nemo would have dismounted. I didn't expect them to move in that direction.
Noted. Nemo remains on the Kitty.

Nnelg wrote:Lastly, both Nemo and Fort are delaying now.
Fixed.

You guys may want to send in Nemo, Fort, and the Kitty either now or about phase 9 of next round. There are a couple good targets for them to hit and you can quickly remove any risks to the casters.

Nemo and Fort can get to any of the squares contained by the E1-F7 rectangle and be relatively safe there. (Nemo having dismounted.) In those squares, none of the enemy melee can hit them without going thru a square adjacent to one of our people and neither of the archers currently has an action to use. Both of the archers can be eliminated with a decent degree of certainty before they get new actions.

MA02 has 1 hit left. If fired on by either Nemo or Fort, it has a 143/144 chance of being eliminated, considering their boosts and bonuses.

The soonest MA01 can fire again is phase 7. Unfortunately for it, Anex gets to fire again on phase 10. She is still boosted, so she has a 143/144 chance of eliminating MA01 before it can fire.

The action of the caster that didn't fire on MA02 gives us a bit of a safety buffer to use on the off chance that one of those attempts on the lives of the archers does fail. Most likely, this action will simply be used to fire on a target of opportunity later.

The Naughty Kitty can be used to attack MW01, MW02, or MS02. I suggest MW02, because the Naughty Kitty has a 11/12 chance of croaking it.
Swodaems

Postby bob the 6th » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:10 pm

well, crits arn't gaurentied... though they are more likely.

I was mostly noting that 13 is a number associated with bad luck, so having it be the cost of a crit seemed very nice.

edit: 777 is the jackpot on most slot machines... as 7 is a lucky number and all.
bob the 6th

Postby Nnelg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 pm

MarbitChow wrote:I needed to make it clear that player orders (in bold) trump other players suggestions, period. If a player issues an order, their character will attempt to fulfill the spirit of that order.

Understood.

I might also countermand my previous statement an have Nemo dismounted, after all; but it depends.

As it turns out, I was already thinking along the lines of what swordaems suggested, and it definitely should be Nemo who takes the shot at that critically wounded archer -Fort can do much better for us by debuffing a mouse. But in that case, there's no need for him to come in until phase 6 next round. So, I see three ways to do it:

1. Nemo comes in dismounted, the Naughty Kitty goes to the front lines,
2. Nemo comes in dismounted, the Naughty Kitty tries to sneak around the flank (and kill off that last archer for sure).
3. Nemo rides in on the Naughty Kitty and does a lightning raid on the front line, withdrawing before the Mice have a chance to move.

Of the three, I'm leaning towards option 1, especially if the Naughty Kitty can squeeze through the gap at M8.

Also, "the Naughty Kitty" is kinda a mouthful. How about we give it a name? I'd like to call her "Melissa", after one of my irl cats (who isn't naughty, just old).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 am

Nnelg wrote:Of the three, I'm leaning towards option 1, especially if the Naughty Kitty can squeeze through the gap at M8.
It can. The only requirement for movement with larger units is that they've got to be able to fill the 2x2 (or 3x3, etc.) space after moving 1 square each time. M8 can be moved through - M10 can't get to N11, though.

Nnelg wrote:Also, "the Naughty Kitty" is kinda a mouthful. How about we give it a name? I'd like to call her "Melissa", after one of my irl cats (who isn't naughty, just old).
Sure. I believe you're officially the first to name your mount. This earns your mount 2 'Identity' XP, and entitles your mount to start engaging in role-playing by developing a personality.
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games