Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Postby Nnelg » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:30 am

Nice. :D

So, I propose that Melissa move to J-K/7-8 (she can sneak in through the rocks to the upper-left) and finish off MW02. Then next round she can move to N-O/7-8 and engage SM02. Nemo can move to E9 and finish off MA02, but Anex will have to be certain to croak MA01 or it'll have a clear shot at Nemo.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

Mistake I see on your listing: Moe took his action in an attack, so he should not have a delayed action listed.

So, tactical thought time:

Threats (in decreasing order of significance):
SM02 (can reach H7 and explode to damage Anex and Killroy)
SM01 (can explode, penetrating all defenses)
MA01 (full hits, can attack anyone)
MA02 (1 hit, can attack anyone)
MS02 (2 range, can reach Anex and Rudy from the 10 rank)
MS01 (2 range, can reach Anex from I7)
MW02
MW01

Actions: Move Melissa as Nnelg recommended (to J-K/7-8) and attack MW02 this will block all threats to Anex and Rudy except for enemy archery. The attack will be at 9 combat + 1 leadership + 2d6 vs 5 defense, for 2d6+5 vs 9 hits (a very good chance of an outright kill).

Nemo moves in to E9, attacking MA02. This will be a 3 combat + 1 leadership + 2d6 vs 4 cover, 3 defense = 2d6-3. with a lesser boost, I dont think he'll fail to roll 4+ and kill it. Worst case, we can bring in Fortune's Chance to kill it.

Except for fortune's chance, nobody else has a profitable action this turn. Fortune could enter the hex, and fire off a shot [as above], but I think he's better off delaying as the shot would do poor damage to any important targets, and if Anex fails to kill by a small margin, we can bring him in to finish the other archer.

Phase 10: Anex should take the shot at MA01. 10 combat + 1 leadership + 2d6 vs 4 cover, 3 defense = 2d6+4 vs 10 hits, and a more than 50% chance of killing it (even with new crit rules, a failure will still result in 2 hits, and she's boosted, so it shouldn't happen). If the archer survives, and is very low on hits, bring in Fortune's Chance, and try to kill it off (it will be a 2d6-3 attack as with Nemo above, so good chance for a few hits at least)

Phase 9: Melissa can move to N-O/7-8 and engage MW02. The attack will be 9 combat + 1 leadership +2d6 vs 5 defense, 4 dodging, for 2d6+1 vs 14 hits. The mouse will survive unless a crit is scored. Most likely, the mouse will explode, dealing 2d6 damage to Melissa, as a regular attack of 2d6+5 doesn't do much against a 13 defense (12 + 1 leadership)

Phase 8: If MW02 is dead, Moe should move to L5 and attack MS02. 8+ 2d6 vs 4 defense means 2d6+4 and an injured marbit. Wegio to go to K3, also attacking MS02 (8+1 leadership +2d6 = 9+2d6 vs 4 defense and a probably dead marbit). This has the added benefit of removing the mouse's line of movement to the archers, and kills or blocks the only other unit that can reach them. Thanks to the blocking rock, there's no way for either mouse to explode against multiple targets either.

I would like a recommendation as to how to restack at the beginning of the turn. I think whump needs the extra defense, so he should be added, but who should be removed? Zed-too or Wegio are obvious choices as their defenses are highest, but they are all stuck in to the combat at the bottom of the map, where the most physical action will be taking place. I'd say unstack a caster, but they need the bonuses for their shoot actions.

Rules Question: Can you move through a friendly occupied space, provided an enemy doesn't border it?
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 am

tigerusthegreat wrote:Mistake I see on your listing: Moe took his action in an attack, so he should not have a delayed action listed.
Fixed.

tigerusthegreat wrote:Rules Question: Can you move through a friendly occupied space, provided an enemy doesn't border it?
Yes. (Quick request: it helps immensely if you bold orders and rules questions so that I don't miss them.)
MarbitChow

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:20 am

Also, for lols, can we call the kitty Naughty Melissa instead :-p

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:47 am

tigerusthegreat wrote:Also, for lols, can we call the kitty Naughty Melissa instead :-p
Updated. (Edit: Misread the Naughty Melissa part. Doh! So, no, it's just Melissa. Rider gets naming rights, especially on the assumption that the mount will be buying Imprinted, which is practically a given for all caster mounts.
Last edited by MarbitChow on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:So, tactical thought time:

Threats (in decreasing order of significance):
SM02 (can reach H7 and explode to damage Anex and Killroy)
SM01 (can explode, penetrating all defenses)
MA01 (full hits, can attack anyone)
MA02 (1 hit, can attack anyone)

Don't worry, we have answers to all of these.

SM02: Melissa's next move after finishing MW02 should be to N-O/7-8, attacking (and restricting the movement of) SM02. (This won't kill it, but the mouse will most likely explode on its delayed action.)
SM01: Fort can debuff this one (in fact, his player orders demand it). Then Kilroy can run up to P3 (provided MW02 is croaked) and soak its luckamancy-reduced explosion.
MA01: Anex can take out this target with a good deal of certainty, especially if Rudy supports and coordinates her.
MA02: Nemo can finish this one off from afar with 97% odds.

As for the rest, it's basically just a mop-up operation once those four threats are gone. No need to do anything fancy, so long as we don't leave one of the casters exposed.

So, new proposal:

(This Round)
Phase 1: Melissa moves to [J-K/7-8] and attacks MW02. Nemo delays. (No need to rush in just yet...)

(Next Round)
Anex Supports Rudy, Rudy Supports and Coordinates with Anex. Zed-Too Gaurds and Interposes for Regus.
Phase 10: Anex moves to [G12] if it won't break the support, (for a clear line of sight) and shoots MA01.
Phase 9: Melissa moves to [N-O/7-8] and attacks SM02. Nemo moves in to [G13] and fires at MA02 unless Anex failed to kill MA01 by more than a couple hits.

We can see what happens before comitting to Phase 8 actions.

tigerusthegreat wrote:Also, for lols, can we call the kitty Naughty Melissa instead :-p

Er; no, I don't think that would work.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Turn (*Mumble*) - Marbit Hex - Round 1 - Phase 1 to Round 2 - Phase 8

Tenebris continues a near-flawless execution. Chance's very presence seems to help, as the Splody Mouse fizzles completely when Melissa approaches it.
PCs have been added to the Reference section. Please double-check the stats and let me know if there are any changes that need to be made.

Tenebris Karma : +13

Rock formations are impassible and provide a +4 Cover bonus to units standing behind them. All units other than Nemo have 2 Hex Move remaining, which means you can enter the hex, and flee the hex, but cannot re-enter it once you have fled. Nemo's mount has 6 Hex Move remaining, so he can leave and re-enter up to 3 times. Both sides are assumed to be Dodging when they start.

Tenebris Units
Spoiler: show
Nemo (Nnelg) : [3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. 8 {8} Move. 3 (of 8) Juice. Fire.] (Lesser Boost:1) Delayed-Move Delayed-Action Dodging
Regus the Great (tigerusthegreat): [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 9 (of 12) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Strike.]
Rudy Eye (bob the 6th) : [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Support, Coordinate, Dance Fighting]
Whump (CroverusRaven) : [6 Combat / 7 Defense / 17 (of 26) Hits / 8 {8} Move. Attack.]
Fortunes Chance (WhirdCheese): [3 Combat / 1 Defense / 4 Hits. 8 {8} Move. 4 (of 8) Juice. Fire.] (Lesser Boost:1) Delayed-Move Delayed-Action Dodging
Wegio Wegion (LTDave) : [8 Combat / 8 Defense / 14 (of 22) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Beefy, Well-Armed, Well-Defended]
Zed-Too (BLANDCorporatio) : [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Well-Protected, Beefy, Guard, Interpose] Delayed-Action Dodging
Kilroy Jenkins (WaterMonkey312) : [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 13 (of 14) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Well-Protected, Block] Delayed-Action
Larry "Moe" Curly (The Colonel) : [8 Combat / 5 Defense / 9 (of 14) Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Well Armed, Guard, Mighty Blow]
Anex (Werebiscuit) : [10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Well-Armed, Mighty Blow, Support] (Lesser Boost:1)
Melissa : Naughty Kitty {Level 1, 2 XP} [9 Combat / 12 Defense / 40 Hits / Attack. 10 {12} Move. Special : Beast, Mount] Delayed-Action

Enemy Stats
Marbit Spearman (MS01) : [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 20 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Strike. Special: Beefy]
Marbit Spearman (MS02) : [5 Combat / 4 Defense / 20 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Strike. Special: Beefy]
Marbit Warrior (MW01) : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Beefy]
Splody Mouse Lesser Cloth Golem (SM01) : [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Attack. Special: Construct, Explody] (Lesser Curse:1) Delayed-Action Dodging

Results
Tenebris Stacks :
Regus: Leads Nemo, Rudy, Zed-Too, Chance, Wegio, Anex, Naughty Kitty (+1 Leadership)

-- Round 1 --

Phase 1
----------
Melissa: Move to K8, Attack @ MW02
Roll : 4. Combat 13 + (1 Leadership) - (5 Defense) = 9 Hits. Target slain. Team earns 2 XP.

-- Round 2 --

Phase 10
----------
(Note 1: Support requires adjacency, plus units must attack on the same phase. Anex chooses to take the shot without support.)
(Note 2: G12 would not give a clear shot at MA01. Cover extends in a 90-degree arc from the covering square. Anex would need to cross the line from V6 to N14 in order to have a clear shot.)
Anex: Fire @ MA01.
Roll : 6.
(Lesser Boost) Roll : 8. 18 Combat + (1 Leadership + 3 Might Blow) - (3 Defense + 4 Cover) = 15 Hits. Target slain. Team earns 2 XP.
(Boost : No effect (MA01 also dies on a 6.); Boost persists.)

Phase 9
----------
Melissa: Move to O8, Attack @ SM02
SM: Explodes! when Melissa moves to O8.
Roll : 2 CRITICAL FAILURE. 0 Hits inflicted.
Melissa: Delays action.

Nemo: Move to G13, Fire @ MA02
Roll : 5.
(Lesser Boost) Roll : 5. 8 Combat + 1 Leadership - (3 Defense + 4 Cover) = 2 Hits. Target slain. Team earns 2 XP.
(Boost : No effect; Boost persists.)

Phase 8
----------
Chance: Move to H4, Curse @ SM01.
SM01 gains (Lesser Curse:1)

Wegio : Delays his move and action
Moe: Delays his move and action

Wegio and Moe can still act on Phase 8 if their players issue orders.

As always, let me know if you see any mistakes.
MarbitChow

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm

That went very well.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby CroverusRaven » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 pm

?My previous orders for Whump still stand.
CroverusRaven

Postby Nnelg » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:19 pm

CroverusRaven wrote:?My previous orders for Whump still stand.

Except Whump doesn't get to go until Phase 6, because his combat is 6.

Be careful guys, we're not out of the woods yet...

That one mouse could still kill a few of our guys with that explosion, or at least weaken them enough for one of the marbits to finish off. More importantly, if nobody moves to block the the M5-L6 gap then Fort's wide open for both MS02 and SM01. So, I suggest the following two actions be taken:

Moe moves to L5 (blocking the M5-L6 gap) and attacks MS02.
Kilroy moves to P3 to soak the Mouse's explosion.

If Kilroy ignores the Mouse it probably won't be too bad... But if nobody blocks that gap, Fort's toast.

EDIT:
MarbitChow wrote:(I'm just going to point out that this scenario was originally designed with 4 expendable NPCs in mind. You might be able to pull it off without losing any units, but players who already have higher-level primary characters might want to consider sacrificing themselves for the greater good. :twisted: )

You know, I have no idea whether it was beginner's luck, you going easy on us, or something else entirely, but this scenario just doesn't seem so hard in retrospect. I doubt I could have pulled this operation off any smoother had I full control over every unit and a month's experience with the system.

Much to contrast with XCOM, which I've been playing recently; the only video game I know of where one can honestly call 25% casualties a good day.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Nnelg wrote:Kilroy moves to P3 to soak the Mouse's explosion.

If Kilroy ignores the Mouse it probably won't be too bad... But if nobody blocks that gap, Fort's toast.

I'm fine with doing this, but the mouse and I have the same combat, and so I'm not entirely sure how that's going to work out.

For Marbit: Kilroy to P3. Continue Blocking, and start Dodging if possible.
WaterMonkey314

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Xcom reminds me of fallout tactics. Good games botg.

Nothing can reach fort if nobody moves, they would be adjacent to one of our units and drop to 0 move

that said, I approve of the above plan.

I think this scenario became much easier because of the critical hit rules, and having a luckamancer.

TBH, critical hit/critical miss rules are almost too good with a luckamancer. I hope higher levels and more hits for enemies will make them less powerful, but at this low level they are very powerful.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Nnelg wrote:You know, I have no idea whether it was beginner's luck, you going easy on us, or something else entirely, but this scenario just doesn't seem so hard in retrospect.
Wegio, Anex, Moe, Kilroy, and Zed-Two were not originally intended to be 'PCs' - they were going to be 0-level warriors without any AP to spend - just base warriors and an archer. The Luckamancer was a bit of a last-minute add as well. Without his own AP plus Zed-Two's guarding, Wegio would have died already. But yeah, the scenario wasn't supposed to be too tough. It was really supposed to give you players a feel for the rules, and give me a feel for how luckamancy and exploding units are going to work.

Speedy, Agile, Volitile, splody dolls seem like they're going to be fun, I think.

tigerusthegreat wrote:I think this scenario became much easier because of the critical hit rules, and having a luckamancer.
TBH, critical hit/critical miss rules are almost too good with a luckamancer. I hope higher levels and more hits for enemies will make them less powerful, but at this low level they are very powerful.
Your luckamancer didn't actually do anything positive for the fight yet - all he did was negate a critical. :D

I think the luckamancer seems to be on par with the other casters so far, but I'd love to hear other's thoughts on the subject.
MarbitChow

Postby bob the 6th » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Rudy shoots MW01, and delays his move.

kinda pointless, but best to start chipping on that high hit unit.
bob the 6th

Postby Nnelg » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 am

MarbitChow wrote:Without his own AP plus Zed-Two's guarding, Wegio would have died already.

Well, he who emulates Leroy Jenkins is wont to meet the fate of Leroy Jenkins. :|

MarbitChow wrote:Your luckamancer didn't actually do anything positive for the fight yet - all he did was negate a critical. :D

I think the luckamancer seems to be on par with the other casters so far, but I'd love to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

As it was, that crit would have been overkill. It's much better now that the Karma will be used in places where it's needed.

And I don't think Luckamancy's overpowered. As of yet there's no way to "force" a critical; and besides, there would no doubt be a -10 karma adjustment involved.

Even if a Luckamancer had the potential to cause more damage to the enemy than a shockmancer, it'd still be balanced because they can't do it directly.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby LTDave » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 am

Acting on Phase 8, Wegio Wegion attacks the Marbit Warrior adjacent.

Or do I need someone's permission to hit something?

Oh, and at least I have chicken.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:49 am

bob the 6th wrote:Rudy shoots MW01, and delays his move.

kinda pointless, but best to start chipping on that high hit unit.

"Rudy! Hold fire while I hit this twerp."
LTDave

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am

Nnelg wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Without his own AP plus Zed-Two's guarding, Wegio would have died already.

Well, he who emulates Leroy Jenkins is wont to meet the fate of Leroy Jenkins. :|

Does anyone else find it amusing that the guy named after Leroy isn't actually the resident team Leroy? :P
WaterMonkey314

Postby bob the 6th » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am

LTDave wrote:"Rudy! Hold fire while I hit this twerp."

"Once you start being able to order me around, I will let you know."

wego is doing 2d6+4, the thing has 22 hits... Rudy is doing 2d6+3, so hitting it together they have a reasonable chance of dropping it. probably going to need another unit.
bob the 6th

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:03 am

bob the 6th wrote:Rudy shoots MW01, and delays his move.
Quick note: after you use your action, your move drops to 0. You can delay both move and action, or delay your action, but you can't use your action and save your move.
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games